Holy Rule for Jan. 31

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2005

      Prayers, please, for the repose of the soul of Ruth, who has gone to God, and for Joyce, her friend since toddlerhood who mourns her. Prayers, too, for the happy death of Michael Ross on death row, who may be executed tonight, for all his victims and their families and for his family. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      Merton once wrote "Love is the the Rule." That's what we can so often
      miss. One obeys out of love, love of God. Trust my limited experience
      here, please, there is no human being on earth whose tool kit is so
      complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
      reserve or hesitation, not one.

      We do it for love, not for wisdom. We do it for love, not for taste
      or class or savoir faire. We do it for love, not because the superior
      is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We don't do it because of
      the superior at all, if we are going about things the right way. We
      do it for love, for love of God.

      Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
      face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
      within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
      and outright crap that nothing else could sustain one other than love
      of God.

      When one is younger, one can often play "Father or Mother knows
      best." (Superiors who are control freaks love and encourage this
      ploy, even as a life script. Not wise...) That's not the point and it
      doesn't work for long either.

      Mother or Father often quite pointedly know nothing at all. The will
      of God comes through to us in spite of them, not because they are
      wise or stupid, but because of love, God's love for us. Many, many
      people in the church do the will of God for reasons that have nothing
      to do with God!

      They do it unwittingly, they may do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but
      that hardly matters. I think there is a mystical point where the love
      and will of God for one cannot ultimately be thwarted, where it is
      actually advanced by humans who have not a clue what they are doing.
      We do it for love, and that love will shield us, regardless, in the
      armor of His will. We must only trust Him, trust His Divine Mercy,
      always trust!

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 30, 2007

        PLEASE NOTE: There are so many prayer requests today and it is so late at
        night that, though I usually try to respond to each person who posts, I won't be
        able to do so tonight. My apologies, but please accept appearance in the
        intentions as an acknowledgment

        Prayers for the former Abbot of St Leo Abbey, Abbot Patrick, and for Father
        David Draim, OSB, both killed in a car accident in North Carolina, where they
        served a parish. Prayers for their happy death and eternal rest, also for
        their Community at St. Leo and the parish they served.

        Prayers for Mary Farkle on her birthday, many graces and blessings and many
        years: ad multos annos!

        Prayers, please for the happy death and eternal rest of Kathy's died, killed
        in an accident at home, and for Kathy, away from her Catholic faith and now
        filled with grief and questions. May she come closer to her faith and God
        somehow through all this. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Leah, the little
        girl whose liver transplant we prayed for, she is doing well and hopefully
        the cancer will not return. Deo gratias, too, for Claudia's daughter who choked
        on food while alone and was able to save herself with a Heimlich maneuver
        she gave herself.

        Urgent prayers needed for Becky and for her mother and family, very worried
        about her. (I don't know what is wrong.) Prayers needed, also, for Jan, just
        admitted to a mental health facility, and for her family. Prayers for
        Brian, interviewing for a job, also for Dave, needing a job again. He has been
        out of
        work for too long, but has several opportunities, seeking which is best for
        him. Prayers for Ali, recurrent depression and badly needing prayers. May her
        discouragement and temptations accompanying this depressive bout be touched
        by the merciful Heart of Christ.

        Prayers for Glen, who has a severe gambling addiction, and for his worried
        Mom and family. Prayers for Anna, forced to move to another state after
        hurricane Katrina and now faced with a gap until she can regain health coverage, a
        very trying time for her, emotionally and financially, as she has many medical
        needs and it takes a while to get into the new state's system of coverage.

        January 31, June 1, October 1
        Chapter 7: On Humility

        The third degree of humility is that a person
        for love of God
        submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
        imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
        "He became obedient even unto death."

        REFLECTION

        Merton once wrote "Love is the Rule." That's what we can so often
        miss. One obeys out of love, love of God.

        Trust my limited experience here, please, if we are acting on solely
        human considerations, there is no human being on earth whose tool kit
        is so complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
        reserve or hesitation, not one. But we aren't doing it for human reasons:
        we are obeying for God.

        We do it for love, not for wisdom. We do it for love, not for taste
        or class or savoir faire. We do it for love, not because the superior
        is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We don't do it because of
        the superior at all, if we are going about things the right way. We
        do it for love, for love of God.

        Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
        face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
        within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
        and outright rubbish that nothing could sustain one other than love
        of God.

        When one is younger, one can often play "Father or Mother knows
        best." (Superiors who are control freaks love and encourage this
        ploy, even as a life script. Not wise...) That's not the point and it
        doesn't work for long either.

        Mother or Father might quite pointedly know nothing at all. The will
        of God sometimes comes through to us in spite of them, not because they
        are wise or stupid, right or wrong, but because of love, God's love for us.
        Many,
        many people in the church do the will of God for reasons that have little
        or nothing to do with God!

        They may do it unwittingly, they may do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but
        that hardly matters: the will of God comes through. I think there is a
        mystical
        point where the love and will of God for one cannot ultimately be thwarted,
        where it is actually advanced by humans who have not a clue what they are
        doing.
        Even some actively opposed to His will nevertheless advance it without a
        clue. God can use anything, even His opponents, to do good for those who
        love Him, who trust Him and let Him act in their souls.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 30, 2008

          Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all thier loved ones and for all who take care of them:

          Angelina, 16, for the perfect will of God in a friendship that worries her parents.
          Brittany, for safe travel and to choose the university God wants her to attend.
          Charlene and Murray, travelling to find a school for their sons, one of whom is autisitc.