Holy Rule for Jan. 29

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 29, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers for Terese Elizabeth, 1 month old, who has gone home to God, and for her parents, three young brothers and all their family. She was born prematurely with a chromosomal disorder. Prayers, too, for Tony, 15, who committed suicide, and for his parents, family and friends who survive him, he was an active teen and they all grapple with the awful "whys" that follow a suicide, a very tough time for all. prayers, for Foster, 17, very painful chemo for leukemia. When he turns 18, he can decide to stop treatment and it is hurting him so much that he wants to do that, prayers for his parents and grandparents and all his family, too.
      God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      We must be on our guard, therefore, against evil desires,
      for death lies close by the gate of pleasure.
      Hence the Scripture gives this command:
      "Go not after your concupiscences" (Eccles. 18:30).
      So therefore,
      since the eyes of the Lord observe the good and the evil (Prov. 15:3)
      and the Lord is always looking down from heaven
      on the children of earth
      "to see if there be anyone who understands and seeks God" (Ps. 13:2),
      and since our deeds are daily,
      day and night,
      reported to the Lord by the Angels assigned to us,
      we must constantly beware, brethren,
      as the Prophet says in the Psalm,
      lest at any time God see us falling into evil ways
      and becoming unprofitable (Ps. 13:3);
      and lest, having spared us for the present
      because in His kindness He awaits our reformation,
      He say to us in the future,
      "These things you did, and I held My peace" (Ps. 49:21).

      REFLECTION

      Notice how this portion of the chapter harks back to the Prologue:
      God watches us, and His angels, as well. God waits for our
      reformation. All that beautiful prose of progress and hope in the
      Prologue is intimately linked to humility. Without humility, we
      aren't going anywhere!

      Something else is going on here, since we ourselves must watch and be
      on our guard. Without the eyes of faith, we can miss the fact that
      God or the Angels are watching, but we can never miss our own
      vigilance. We always know when we are being careful and the message
      here is to live carefully all the time, to be mindful, to be on the
      lookout for deceptions and traps.

      "Go not after your concupiscences." Some older translations render
      this "lusts", while the New English Bible has "passions." Certainly,
      concupiscence means desire, but it carries, as do the other two
      terms, a connotation of sexual desire. I am not at all sure that a
      monk of St. Benedict's time would have limited it that strongly. Read
      the Desert Fathers and the Eastern Orthodox monastics of today and
      you will find that the "passions" have, in their works, a far more
      expanded sense, encompassing any desire that can go to extremes. And,
      let us face it, just about all desires, short of the desire to love
      God, can go to extremes!

      There is something reminiscent of a Buddhist principle here: all
      suffering is rooted in desire and peace is the absence of desire.
      The Buddhists certainly did not mean just sexuality. They meant, as I
      think St. Benedict did, detachment from everything, a holy
      indifference to one's condition. That's tough to pull off, and most
      human beings will never go the whole way, but every step in the
      direction of such serenity leaves us freer, freer for God, freer to
      be what He created us to be.

      We live in a secular age that goes far beyond merely baptizing our
      desires: it GLORIFIES them! The late 20th century was unmistakably
      the zenith of the self in human thought. We are actually challenged
      to "follow your bliss." Gee, that sounded nice the first time I heard
      it, still does.

      But, on the other hand, what a trap. Let me be the first to assure
      you that my blisses have gotten me repeatedly into one heck of a lot
      of trouble. We cannot become like Rousseau and assume a noble savage
      image here. We aren't that noble, though we can usually count on the
      savage part....

      Some of our "blisses" are wrong. They are bound to be. And some of
      them, even though neutral, are bound to make us crazy if we make them
      too important. "Go not after thy lusts" means a lot more than just
      sex, it means any inordinate desire.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 28, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers, please, for Christopher, diagnosed with a rare cancer some years
          ago. He has undergone many treatments since that time and with God's grace has
          been able to return to work and begin to live a somewhat normal life. He is
          experiencing some problems with his bones becoming brittle due to
          the treatments he received. Please pray for him and his family. They are
          also expecting their second child.

          Prayers for Michael, an atheist, that God may fill him with the gift of
          faith and that he may receive it willingly, also for his precocious little
          daughter, who just might be leading him to God. Prayers for the happy death and
          eternal rest of Edna, breast cancer, and for all who mourn her. Prayers for all
          suffering from addictions and for all who die by their own hands. Lord, help
          us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God
[...]

          sex, it means any inordinate desire. Balance, beloveds, always balance!

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 28, 2008
            +PAX

            Prayers please for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

            Jenn, 28, recently diagnosed with thyroid cancer, and
            Amy,22, said first word today after stroke 2 years ago.
            Teresa, 32, who is to have surgery this week on a herniated disk in her neck. Also for her mother, Dianne, who is very worried.
            Dot's mother, Marjorie, 90+, who is recovering from surgery to repair 2 spinal fractures suffered when she slipped on ice.
            Archbishop Daniel Buchlein, OSB, of Idianapolis, newly diagmosed with Hodgkin's disese, cancer of the lymph nodes.
            Fr. Michael Ithondeka, 41, killed in post-election violence in Kenya. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 28

              +PAX

              Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Ken F., starting a new job in April.

              Prayers for Subin, that he get the wife God wills for him.

              Prayers for Roy, who died yesterday. He had a very troubled life. May God rest his soul and give comfort to his family and friends.

              Prayers for Alicia, painful back and knee problems.

              Prayers for Donald, cancer has resurfaced in his abdomen and he will probably need chemo.

              Prayers for Kenneth, he suffered a major heart attack and only has 25% cardiac function, may need a transplant.

              Prayers for D., depression, and for the conversion of his wife, who is abusive.

              Prayers for Donna, stomach pain, uncertain diagnosis.

              Prayers for Phyllis, sick for months, falling, serious eye problems requiring  surgery.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Edna and Al, Jennie and Cliff, and for all their families and all who mourn them.

[...]

              on our guard. We can often forget the fact that
              God or the Angels are watching, but we can never miss our own
              vigilance. We always know when we are being careful and the message
              here is to live carefully all the time, to be mindful, to be on the
              lookout for deceptions and traps.

              "Go not after your concupiscences." Some older translations render
              this "lusts", while the New English Bible has "passions." I do not think
              that the issue here is as narrow as sexual desire. I am not at all sure that a
              monk of St. Benedict's time would have limited it that strongly.

              Read the Desert Fathers and the Eastern Orthodox monastics of today and
              you will find that the "passions" have, in their works, a far more
              expanded sense, encompassing any desire that can go to extremes. And,
              let us face it, just about all desires, short of the desire to love
              God, can go to extremes!

              There is something reminiscent of a Buddhist principle here: all
              suffering is rooted in desire. The Buddhists certainly did not mean

              just sexuality. They meant, as I think St. Benedict did, detachment

              from everything, a holy indifference to one's condition. That's tough

              to pull off and impossible without God's grace. Many folks will never go

              the whole way, but every step in the direction of such serenity leaves us

              freer, freer for God, freer to be what He created us to be.

              We live in a secular age that goes far beyond merely baptizing our
              desires: it GLORIFIES them! The late 20th century was unmistakably
              the zenith of the self in human thought. We were actually challenged