Holy Rule for Jan. 28

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2005

      Please excuse my lateness today.

      Special prayers, please, for Sister Carol Coston, OP, who taught me in high school. She literally changed my life forever, and much of what I give today, I received from her. She broke her left arm very, very badly. Three hour surgery to mend 3 fractures and do a lot of elbow reconstruction. A brave and feisty woman, she will appreciate your prayers. She entered the Adrian Dominicans fifty years ago on Feb. 2, the date her first complicated cast is to come off and hopefully be replaced by a much less encumbering one!

      Prayers, please, for Donna, severe headaches problem for several years now, and for her Mom, husband and family, all of whom suffer with her in stress and strain. Prayers, too, for Janice, serious medical problems and for Arielle, lots of emotional heart healing needed for her and her family. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      As for self-will,
      we are forbidden to do our own will
      by the Scripture, which says to us,
      "Turn away from your own will" (Eccles. 18:30),
      and likewise by the prayer in which we ask God
      that His will be done in us.
      And rightly are we taught not to do our own will
      when we take heed to the warning of Scripture:
      "There are ways which seem right,
      but the ends of them plunge into the depths of hell" (Prov. 16:25);
      and also when we tremble at what is said of the careless:
      "They are corrupt and have become abominable in their will."

      And as for the desires of the flesh,
      let us believe with the Prophet that God is ever present to us,
      when he says to the Lord,
      "Every desire of mine is before You" (Ps. 37:10).

      REFLECTION

      Revolutions usually have several things in common: they respond to a
      need, they go too far in some areas, not far enough in others and
      they tend to brand those not agreeing with them as criminal or
      psychotic. Look at Soviet Russia for most of the 20th century and you
      will see all of these. Look further back at the French Revolution and
      you will find that 1917 in Petrograd offered nothing new, perhaps new
      names for certain aspects, but nothing else.

      The last decades of the 20th century saw a tremendous psychological
      revolution in the West. Its effects were perhaps greatest in some
      religious circles, where those once wary of psychology now embraced
      it more or less wholesale, not always with the best of tool kits in either
      theology or psychology.

      Pieces of our psycho-spiritual world view definitely needed change
      and correction. Unfortunately, however, like the Bolsheviks and the French
      before them, some ardent revolutionaries shot the Imperial family and
      guillotined a lot of otherwise very fine people. Their zeal went a bit too far
      and they were often followed unquestioningly.

      In those years, a close and scathing look was taken at religious
      obedience and the personal will. It certainly was necessary. Abuses
      had obtained under the accept-without-any-question syndrome.

      Sadly, but predictably, the pendulum swung in a very un-Benedictine
      fashion to the opposite extreme: question everything and accept
      nothing. Personal will, formerly maligned as a foolish, worthless and
      even dangerous entity was now elevated to lofty, noble, nearly infallible
      heights that it frankly did not deserve.

      Not astoundingly, both extremes missed the middle road of truth.
      ("Virtue stands in the middle way." Thanks very much, Aristotle and
      St. Thomas Aquinas, and happy feastday to the latter and all his namesakes.)
      Going too far in either direction is perilous, extremes are equal as vices.

      Human will unaided is at once potentially noble, yet dreadfully
      flawed. Without God and grace assisting, the prognosis is not good.
      For Christians, however, God's grace and aid ARE available, but they
      come at the price of cooperation and cooperation demands a certain
      sacrifice of our own wills.

      It is perhaps harder for us to see that necessity of abandoning our
      wills than it has been for many before us. We are traipsing through
      the spiritual road with all kinds of extraneous baggage about
      autonomy and maturity and self-actualization carried to false
      extremes. Balance, always balance, always moderation in the
      Benedictine way!

      Our wills can be good and wonderful. It is, after all, with our wills
      that we answer God's call. But part of God's call is to forget the self
      and forget its willful tantrums. Our wills are the natural habitat
      and environment of the false self- it thrives there!

      It is fatal to spiritual growth and to community to infer too great a
      maturity or too little. Monastics are not children, but most adults
      have not totally arrived, either! It is foolish to trust those under
      our care with nothing, but equally so to empower them to virtually
      anything.

      That's just not how monastic life works. St. Benedict
      bluntly says that his followers DESIRE to live under an abbot. We
      want and need that compass for true North, we affirm that when we
      embrace the Holy Rule, whether newest Oblate novice or Abbot
      Primate. Obedience is central to our spiritual path.

      A good superior will keep one from being too easy on oneself, but
      will also protect one from being too hard on oneself. I cannot tell
      you the number of times submitting a matter to my superior has
      resulted in something FAR less gruesome than what I had obsessively
      planned for myself!

      Most of the wonderful things said about personal will are true, to a
      point, but the revolution failed to emphasize the fact that our wills
      do NOT come with gyroscopes. As such, their trustworthiness as
      compasses is far from absolute.

      The superior, the Rule, the Gospel, these are the gyroscopes that
      enable us to will true North! Without these helps, our journey could
      very easily make the first and last voyage of the Titanic look like a Sunday
      afternoon swan boat ride in Boston's Public Garden.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 28, 2006

        Prayers for a happy, holy death for Mr. L., dying of lymphoma, and for his daughter, Linda, and his sons, Rick and Michael, grandson, Daniel, and all his family. The three men will be going to visit him and there are some gaps in the family relationship that need filling.

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Rachel, 27, murdered, and for her baby, Lillian, 9 months, murdered with her, as well as for the conversion of the perpetrator. Prayers for Veronica and all her family, she has a cancerous tumor on her esophagus, which may have progressed beyond surgical removal. There is a family history of cancer deaths, too. Prayers for Mary and Phil, getting married on Feb. 4, then moving from the US to the UK, a time of many changes for all concerned. Prayers for Tom, seeking a job in his area of expertise after 3 1/2 years out of his field. Prayers, too, for someone wrestling with recurrent alcoholism in a group living shelter and for another alcoholic celebrating 42 months of sobriety. Deo gratias for Sr. Mary Stella, whom we have prayed for, who walked with assistance this week, a great progress for her. Now, however, there is added risk of falls and her bones are very brittle. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        Going too far in either direction is perilous, extremes become vices.

        Human will unaided is at once potentially noble, yet dreadfully
        flawed. Without God and grace assisting, the prognosis is not good.
        For Christians, however, God's grace and aid ARE available, but they
        come at the price of cooperation and cooperation demands a certain
        sacrifice of our own wills.

        It is perhaps harder for us to see that necessity of abandoning our
        wills than it has been for many before us. We are traipsing through
        the spiritual road with all kinds of extraneous 1970's baggage about
        autonomy and maturity and self-actualization carried to false
        extremes. Balance, always balance, always moderation in the
        Benedictine way!

        Our wills can be good and wonderful. It is, after all, with our wills
        that we answer God's call. But part of God's call is to forget the false self
[...]

        The the Gospel, the Rule, the superior: these are the gyroscopes that

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 27, 2007

          Prayers for Mark, taking his SAT exam for college admission. Prayers, too,
          for Ann, whom I visited today, dying of cancer, and for Mary, a lovely lady who
          shares Ann's room at hospice. I promised prayers for both of them. Prayers
          for Sr. Lany Jo's brother, Robert, having such a terrible load of grief after
          his wife's sudden death in a car accident. The loneliness is beginning to set
          in and there is nothing to help that pain but grace and time. Like most men,
          he never expected to be widowed and it is terribly difficult for him.

          Special prayers, if you will, for vocations to Pluscarden Abbey, our
          Motherhouse in Scotland, and for vocations to St. Mary's Monastery. Our Abbot has
          asked us to set aside the time from now through Lent as a period of extra
          prayers and devotions for vocations. It would mean a lot to us if some of you
          would join us in that. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
[...]

          it more or less wholesale, and not always with the best of tool kits in
[...]

          St. Thomas Aquinas.) Going too far in either direction is perilous,
          extremes become vices.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 27, 2008

            Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following and for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

            Robert, vocation discernment at the end of an observership stay.

            Tanhya, gunshot wound, lungs, liver, bowel and pancreas all involved, and for Dinah, her Mom and for Tanya's children, who are unbaptized.

            Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, prside Him! Thanks so much. JL.