Holy Rule for Jan. 20

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 20, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Agatha, who suffered a stroke yesterday, and for all her family. Prayers for a near our motherhouse in Scotland who were killed in a storm. Prayers for peace and prayers for the US, as they inaugurate their President today. No matter who you voted for, no matter who won, the country definitely needs prayers badly. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      To fear the Day of Judgment.
      To be in dread of hell.
      To desire eternal life with all the passion of the spirit.
      To keep death daily before one's eyes.
      To keep constant guard over the actions of one's life.
      To know for certain that God sees one everywhere.
      When evil thoughts come into one's heart, to dash them against Christ
      immediately.
      And to manifest them to one's spiritual mother.
      To guard one's tongue against evil and depraved speech.
      Not to love much talking.
      Not to speak useless words or words that move to laughter.
      Not to love much or boisterous laughter.
      To listen willingly to holy reading.
      To devote oneself frequently to prayer.
      Daily in one's prayers, with tears and sighs, to confess one's past
      sins to God, and to amend them for the future.
      Not to fulfil the desires of the flesh; to hate one's own will.
      To obey in all things the commands of the Abbess, even though she
      herself (which God forbid) should act otherwise, mindful of the
      Lord's precept, "Do what they say, but not what they do."
      Not to wish to be called holy before one is holy; but first to be
      holy, that one may be truly so called.

      The first four on today's list are not very palatable to many modern
      ears, but, like all of the Instruments of Good Works, they are
      important, they are interrelated and each one helps one fulfill the
      others. Arguably, one could say that the focus of the first four is
      the fifth: "To keep constant guard over the actions of one's life."

      We have largely "gotten over" dreading Judgment. We went from a
      paralyzing, Jansenistic, scrupey fear of it right into a smug
      assurance that everyone aces the test. Well, there's got to be truth
      hidden between those two extremes somewhere!

      I know, beyond any doubt that I shall be both delighted and very,
      very embarrassed and ashamed to meet God face to face, to find that
      my faith has been confirmed. Ah, joy at the confirmation, but
      crushing shame at the simultaneous confirmation of how very far short
      of Him I have fallen, through choice, through laziness, through
      negligence. One can dread that without thinking that God is some
      intrinsically mean sort, just waiting for one to trip up.

      It's merely an affirmation that we have been all too good at tripping
      on our own: God has no need to duplicate services there! Fearing
      judgment is part and parcel of knowing who we are. We have all
      sinned. And I know I have failed faith, hope and love, again and again
      and again, usually with no more excuse than selfishness.

      We keep goals in sight while training. Forget the Olympic gold and
      you will quite likely forget why you are training so hard. For us,
      between now and the "Olympics" of death, it is only the training that
      matters. It is also good to recall that, as Benedictines, our goal is
      NOT simply to "pass", but to stand on the podium. (Figuratively
      speaking. Don't carry this limping analogy too far, or you'll wind up
      with only three people getting saved, all of them Benedictine. Not
      only is that NOT where I am heading, but it would annoy the Jesuits
      terribly.) That's not because we are any better, it is only because
      we ourselves have added great holiness to our goal. Why else embrace
      the Rule?

      All of these four lead to the fifth, keeping guard over one's
      actions, or mindfulness. Here is a great connection between the
      Benedictine way and the Buddhist way. Mindfulness is the vestibule of
      ecstasy. That is no exaggeration!

      One of the principle similarities noted between religious mystical
      experience and drug-induced euphoria was that both result in the "de-
      automatization" ordinary, daily events. One hates to be crass here,
      but three hits into a joint and one "sees" the daffodil or tastes the
      pizza "for the first time." It all seems new, as if one had never
      experienced it before.

      So, also with religious mystical experience. St. Teresa of Avila
      could not make it through the Our Father without falling into
      ecstasy. Whoa! How many times do we make it through without ecstasy,
      even with full attention? The ordinary becomes ecstatic in mysticism
      because of grace, working on mindfulness and purity of heart, which
      are so clearly linked.

      Kierkegaard was right about this one: "Purity of heart is to will one
      thing." When that one thing is God, grace can lead us to dizzying
      heights. And purity of heart is a very, very Benedictine concept!

      The Buddhists have a saying that monastics can preach a sermon just
      by the way they walk. That's what the care of mindfulness can do!
      Just wait till we get to the 12th degree of humility, which says that
      the monastics' humility will shine through their outward appearance,
      whether walking or sitting or working or praying.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 20, 2006

        Prayers for Jill Carroll, the American journalist kidnapped in Iraq, whose captors have threatened to kill her today. Let us pray hard for her, but also for her captors, that their hearts be touched by God and that ALL people come to God's holy will for them. Often, in situations like this, the perpetrators need prayers more, since few trouble themselves to pray for them, focusing all attention on the victim. All of us need prayers, all.

        Prayers for Olga, her children and family, co-workers, and many priests, as well as other special intentions close to her heart, for God's will for them all. Prayers for the happy death of L. and for peaceful reconciliation with his family. Prayers for Brs. Mukasa and Stanislaw of St. Leo Abbey, as they begin seminary, and for Bill Lee, postulant there who is taking over as organist. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        REFLECTION

        The first four on today's list are not very palatable to many modern
        ears, but, like all of the Instruments of Good Works, they are
        important, they are interrelated and each one helps one fulfill the
        others. Arguably, one could say that the focus of the first four is
        the fifth: "To keep constant guard over the actions of one's life."

        We have largely "gotten over" dreading Judgment. We went from a
        paralyzing, Jansenistic, scrupulous fear of it right into a smug
        assurance that everyone passes the test with honors. Well, there's got to
        be truth hidden between those two false extremes somewhere!

        I know, beyond any doubt that I shall be both delighted and very,
        very embarrassed and ashamed to meet God face to face, to find that
        my faith has been confirmed. Ah, joy at the confirmation, but oh,
        crushing shame at the simultaneous confirmation of how very far short
        of Him I have fallen, through choice, through laziness, through
        negligence.

        One can dread that realization without thinking that God is some
        intrinsically mean sort, just waiting for one to trip up, hunting for the
        slightest loophole to nail us. Quite the opposite is the truth! God's awesome
        Divine Mercy seeks every possible way to bring us to Himself and
        His rewards of bliss. Every possible way!!

        Let us admit that we have been all too good at tripping
[...]

        the Rule? Keeping "death daily before our eyes," we are ALWAYS at
        the Olympics, thanks to our vow of conversion of manner of life, we
        are daily in training, every minute, in fact.

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 19, 2007

          Prayers, please for Lorie, 37, who has died, for her happy death and eternal
          rest and for the husband and three children she left behind. Prayers for the
          happy death and eternal rest of Very Rev. Dom Daniel Rees, OSB, of Downside
          Abbey. Lily, the child for whom we have prayed, had emergency surgery today.
          Even if it is successful, it can only prolong the inevitable. Prayers for her
          happy death, eternal rest and all her family, especially her parents and
          grandfather. Prayers for Cathy, mother of a seminarian, in her last agony. She
          is resigned, her son is with her, friends are gathering, but her suffering
          may last up to two weeks. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will
[...]

          negligence, through sin.

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 18, 2008

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, for all their families and loved ones and all who mourn them:

            Jane's Dad, whom we have prayed for, passed away this morning.

            Tim, three small children. Lost his wife to breast cancer 2 1/2 years ago and took his own life at her gravesite, having given no clues to any he was so depressed. He had been very active raising funds for cancer since her death and his suicide was a total shock.

            Ivan, who died in his sleep, and for his wife, Carol.

            Darla, for whom we prayed, passed away peacefully last night.

            Fr. Reynaldo Roda, OMI, 55, a missionary in the Philippines, murdered in a kidnap attempt.

            Jennie, and peace for her daughter Jeanie and her husband Sam

            Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who take care of them:

            Adrian, post-op hip follow-up, and for his Mother, who has been ill.

            Deo gratias, Al, for whom we prayed, came through his kidney removal surgery very well and is already up and walking about.

            J, first doctoral comprehensive exams tomorrow, and dealing with a stomach virus for the past two weeks, so not really ready. Finances are really difficult (as for most grad students), and struggling with my chronic depression and alcoholism.

            Karen, and a business partner.

            Cathy, newly diagnosed with breast cancer, double masectomy scheduled.
            Alice, about to have an evaluation by hospice, and for her family who have been in denial
            Evelyn - health concerns

            Not to give way to anger.
            Not to nurse a grudge.
            Not to entertain deceit in one's heart.
            Not to give a false peace.
            Not to forsake charity.
            Not to swear, for fear of perjuring oneself.
            To utter truth from heart and mouth.
            Not to return evil for evil.
            To do no wrong to anyone, and to bear patiently wrongs done to
            oneself.
            To love one's enemies.
            Not to curse those who curse us, but rather to bless them.
            To bear persecution for justice' sake.
            Not to be proud.
            Not addicted to wine.
            Not a great eater.
            Not drowsy.
            Not lazy.
            Not a grumbler.
            Not a detractor.
            To put one's hope in God.
            To attribute to God, and not to self, whatever good one sees in
            oneself.
            But to recognize always that the evil is one's own doing, and to
            impute it to oneself.

            REFLECTION

            A beginning warning as we read these instruments of good works: don't
            focus on the few you already can more or less manage! Lots of people
            do that, carefully skimming over the ones they can't dream of doing
            or fathoming, patting themselves on the back for the stray one here
            and there they can. (E.g., "Hey, I don't murder anybody...") None of
            us could do any of these things at all without grace and mercy. It is
            all God's gift that allows us to do good. The most important
            instruments of good works are the ones we HAVEN'T mastered... yet!!

            Just a quickie on one of these: "Not to forsake charity." St. Paul
            tells us that love never gives up. There is a similarity here to the
            vow of conversion of manners: one never gives up striving for
            holiness or the vow is broken. So it is with love: if we give up, it
            is broken.

            If we deny that a person can ever change, we deny an important truth: all
            people can change, even those who annoy or hurt us the most. Insisting that a
            person will never be any better is clinging to a falsehood. The person MIGHT
            never change, sure, but to insist that we KNOW someone never will improve is a
            lie. We know nothing of the sort. Every lie diminishes our sharing in truth.
            Since Jesus said He is the Truth, we must grasp and gather every bit of truth
            that we can. To cling to a false (and uncharitable,) conviction of a
            person's perpetual inability to become better is to work against ourselves. we
            should be gathering truth, not lies.

            One of the Dominican applications of their motto, "Veritas", Truth,
            to spirituality is to justify study by Jesus' statement that He is
            the Truth. Hence, every bit and fragment of real truth that
            Dominicans gain in their learning is like one more piece of the
            puzzle, one more shard of the shattered mirror of human consciousness
            that reflects Christ. The more we learn of truth, the more familiar
            His face will be to us when we finally see Him.

            Jesus said He was the Truth, St. John tells us God is love. The two
            are intertwined in the essence of God. They must also be wound
            together tightly in our ways of loving, forgiving and knowing each
            other.

            brjeromeleo@...
            http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 19, 2008

              Prayers, please, for the mother we prayed for, killed with her 4 and 5 year old on a highway, suspicions now arise that it may have been intentional on the Mom's part.

              Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Joanna, for many years a faithful cook at Holy Name Monastery, St. Leo, FL. and for all her loved ones and those who mourn her.

              Prayers, please, for the physical, mental an spiritual health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

              Aida, 45, who has a cyst in her brain. Still undergoing tests to determine treatment.
              Reggie, 50's, suffering from shingles and stress of caring for her elderly Mom.

              J2., another doctoral candidate with a host of problems employment and haelth-related, many obstacles as she tries to write her dissertation.