Holy Rule for Jan. 19

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 19, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Emma, 85, tests for excessive abdominal fluid today, for Gerry and all her family, too. Prayers for a Pastor and her church, where some with a history of same are stirring up dissensions, for the grace, peace and concord of all!

      As I went back to last year to copy this day's post, I saw a request for prayers for Nathan's vocation. Well, Deo gratias and keep them up. Nathan is more than halfway through his postulancy and seems to be doing well. Please continue to pray for him and for vocations to St. Mary's Monastery! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

      Not to give way to anger.
      Not to nurse a grudge.
      Not to entertain deceit in one's heart.
      Not to give a false peace.
      Not to forsake charity.
      Not to swear, for fear of perjuring oneself.
      To utter truth from heart and mouth.
      Not to return evil for evil.
      To do no wrong to anyone, and to bear patiently wrongs done to
      oneself.
      To love one's enemies.
      Not to curse those who curse us, but rather to bless them.
      To bear persecution for justice' sake.
      Not to be proud.
      Not addicted to wine.
      Not a great eater.
      Not drowsy.
      Not lazy.
      Not a grumbler.
      Not a detractor.
      To put one's hope in God.
      To attribute to God, and not to self, whatever good one sees in
      oneself.
      But to recognize always that the evil is one's own doing, and to
      impute it to oneself.

      REFLECTION

      A beginning warning as we read these instruments of good works: don't
      focus on the few you already can more or less manage! Lots of people
      do that, carefully skimming over the ones they can't dream of doing
      or fathoming, patting themselves on the back for the stray one here
      and there they can. (E.g., "Hey, I don't murder anybody...") None of
      us could do any of these things at all without grace and mercy. it is
      all God's gift that allows us to do good. The most important
      instruments of good works are the ones we HAVEN'T mastered... yet!!

      Just a quickie on one of these: "Not to forsake charity." St. Paul
      tells us that love never gives up. There is a similarity here to the
      vow of conversion of manners: one never gives up striving for
      holiness or the vow is broken. So it is with love: if we give up, it
      is broken.

      Our worst enemies and annoyances can change- they might not, but they
      can. When we give up on them, we deny them the ability to change in
      our eyes- ever. This in no way impoverishes those who push our
      buttons, they can change and grow or fail to do either quite
      independently of our perceptions. It does, however, impoverish us. It
      leaves our vision honed in that person's regard to untruth, when
      Jesus, our God has told us that He IS the Truth. It denies us a piece
      of divine Truth, of God. It means we are always going to find that
      our jigsaw puzzles did not come with all the pieces in the box. That
      should upset us more than it does.

      One of the Dominican applications of their motto, "Veritas", Truth,
      to spirituality is to justify study by Jesus' statement that He is
      the Truth. Hence, every bit and fragment of real truth that
      Dominicans gain in their learning is like one more piece of the
      puzzle, one more shard of the shattered mirror of human consciousness
      that reflects Christ. The more we learn of truth, the more familiar
      His face will be to us when we finally see Him.

      Jesus said He was the Truth, St. John tells us God is love. The two
      are intertwined in the essence of God. They must also be wound
      together tightly in our ways of loving, forgiving and knowing each
      other.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 19, 2006

        Prayers, please, during this Week of Prayer for Christian Unity, for the unity of all Christians. That all may be one!

        Prayers for a very complicated family situation: father with a life-threatening illness has lost hope, wife has decided to take her own way out in an extra-marital affair, their children caught in the middle, one daughter has anorexia nervosa. For the will of God for them all, including the wife's paramour. For healing and grace and conversion for all.

        Prayers, too, for Stan, his wife, son and grandchildren. Terribly messy fights over custody and visitations are assailing them constantly at a time in life when parenting issues should be well behind them. Grandparents have great faith and strength, but great prayers needed for them. Prayers for Janice, for whom we prayed, both tumors, on brain and esophagus are malignant and a third malignancy on her lung. For God's perfect will for her, her husband, and their three children, one of whom is a priest. Patricia asks prayer for an increase in faith in the Worcester Diocese, for the return of those fallen away from the faith and for help for her and a friend trying to promote a devotion to Our Lady. Prayers for Randall, hospitalized with pneumonia, and for his daughter, Jane, and all their family. Prayers for MaryLou, back pain and other medical issues, but she is brave and uncomplaining. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 18, 2007

          Prayers, please, for Jim and Bernice, spiritual and bodily health, and for
          their daughter, discerning a religious vocation. For the ministry of Randy, a
          permanent deacon. For Jeannette, going through a difficult divorce and seeking
          work. For Shawn and healing of relationships with his parents and his
          sister, Michele. For Melanie and her return to the Church.

          Prayers for Leigh, seriously injured in a car wreck, car caught fire, but
          she was mercifully not burned, Deo gratias. Also for her husband, Michael, and
          for the passenger in the other car who was killed, for a happy death eternal
          rest and for all who mourn the loss. Continued prayers for Nadeem and her
          parents who are ill. Prayers for five Sisters of St. Anne in Chicago, and
          especially for their frail superior. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's

          brjeromeleo@...