Holy Rule for Jan. 18

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 18, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Sr. Lany Jo and her Dad. His chemo has not been effective and his cancer is progressing, prayers, too, for St. Pauls' her convent in West Haven, which is having its Provincial visit today, and for all her Congregation, the Apostles of the Sacred Heart. Special prayers for God's will in the job search of M. Prayers, too, for a son who was a victim of suicide and for his loving parents. Prayers for someone with gender identity disorder for the the counselor who is treating same, for God's will and guidance for both, also prayers of thanks for progress for Amy, Deo gratias! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 18, 2006
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for Kasia, not quite eighteen, and for her severe and so far intractable drug addiction, also for her Mom and all their family. Prayers for infant Gianna Rose, 1 month, born with a minor eye defect, but now many other problems are being found, for her parents and all her family. Prayers for Karen, worried about follow-up mammogram tests, also for Sheila, whom we prayed for. Alas, Kelly, her little Katrina rescue dog was found, killed by a car and she is very saddened. Prayers for someone depressed and in denial. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        In the first place, to love the Lord God with the whole heart, the
        whole soul, the whole strength.
        Then, one's neighbor as oneself.
        Then not to murder.
        Not to commit adultery.
        Not to steal.
        Not to covet.
        Not to bear false witness.
        To honor all (1 Peter 2:17).
        And not to do to another what one would not have done to oneself.
        To deny oneself in order to follow Christ.
        To chastise the body.
        Not to become attached to pleasures.
        To love fasting.
        To relieve the poor.
        To clothe the naked.
        To visit the sick.
        To bury the dead.
        To help in trouble.
        To console the sorrowing.
        To become a stranger to the world's ways.
        To prefer nothing to the love of Christ.

        REFLECTION

        St. Benedict follows Christ's teaching of the two greatest
        commandments, putting them first in his list. He had, however, also
        lived in community, so look what he puts at #3: not to murder!
        In the PBS drama The Best of Friends, Dame Laurentia Maclachlan, OSB,
        Abbess of Stanford and friend of George Bernard Shaw, said that the
        miracle was not that so many nuns could live together, but that they'd never
        had a murder.

        In a very real sense, living the first two instruments would render
        the rest of the Holy Rule more or less superfluous commentary. If we
        lived them, no doubt God would reveal the rest to us in time. Ah, but
        there's the rub: in time...

        We can easily forget that the Holy Rule is a time and labor-saving
        device. It was not written for arbitrary control, it was written to
        save us the lengthy process of learning all its wisdom unaided. Given
        our hearts that God has placed in us, He probably would lead us all
        to be Benedictines sooner or later, one by one, even if there were no
        Rule. But, again, the clincher here is sooner or later. The Rule not
        only saves us a lot of time and trial and error, it also frees us to
        do good long before our own stumbling efforts could ever have
        produced as much fruit.

        A final note about preferring "nothing to the love of Christ." This
        line is so popular and frequently duplicated that we can become blind
        to it, shrugging and saying: "Oh, yeah...favorite Benedictine
        phrase..." Stop today and look at it, REALLY look at it. People often
        glance and look away because they fail to prefer nothing, but hey,
        that's the human condition! You, me and most of us strugglers are in
        the same boat, so relax and look at what it means carefully.

        If we truly preferred nothing to the love of Christ, we would be
        sinless saints. We would need no other rule! Small wonder that most
        of us read and look away in embarrassment. But ALL of us, every one,
        can chisel at that mountain day by day, resolutely. A day in which
        the seemingly tiniest and most token of obstacles to the love of
        Christ is conquered and removed is a day of great rejoicing in
        heaven! There is a tremendously humbling difference between all we
        ought to do and what we can do. Start with the latter and strive for
        the former!

        As Blessed Teresa of Calcutta observed, "We can do no great things,
        only small things with great love." We HAVE to start small, because,
        for most of us, if it weren't for small, we'd never start at all! Ah,
        but those tiniest things done with love delight the heart of the
        Divine Merciful Christ as none could ever imagine! Go for it!!!

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 17, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers, please for the happy death of Br. Andre Bennett, OSB, of St. John's
          Abbey, Collegeville, who has died and for his nephew, Sal, and all who mourn
          him. Prayers for Dan, a heartbreaking mess of a divorce, wife left him for
          another man and has their three children. He needs lots of on-going prayers,
          really suffering emotionally and, of course, financially, too. He has to work 6
          days a week now, but he is finding God again in his life and going to daily
          Mass. Prayers for a man whose mother is sick and badly in need of help. Lord,
          help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and

          brjeromeleo@...

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17

              +PAX

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Abbot Cuthbert Johnson, former abbot of Quarr Abbey, in the UK, and for all his family, Community and all who mourn him.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Dominique, 82, and for her husband and family, and for all who mourn her, especially her friends Tim and Lorraine.

              Prayers for Caitlyn, facing many exams, may she do well in all of them.

              Prayers for Beverly, on her birthday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos.

              Prayers for an elderly woman and her adult son, Harold. He has multiple medical issues going back to the age of 19 and can no longer work, he has no income. Prayers for them both.

[...]

              Abbess of Stanbrook and friend of George Bernard Shaw, said that the
              miracle was not that so many nuns could live together, but that they'd
              never had a murder.

              In a very real sense, living the first two instruments would render
              the rest of the Holy Rule more or less superfluous commentary. If we
              lived them, no doubt God would reveal the rest to us in time. Ah, but
              there's the rub: in time...

              We can easily forget that the Holy Rule is a time and labor-saving
              device. It was not written for arbitrary control, it was written to
              save us the lengthy process of learning all its wisdom unaided. The Rule not
[...]

              Divine Merciful Christ more than we could ever imagine! Go for it!!!