Holy Rule for Jan. 15

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 15, 2005

      Prayers, please, for Deacon Anibal, beginning chemo for colon cancer, poor prognosis. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Mary Jane, for whom we prayed, her hip replacement went well and she is recovering. Prayers for the health of Marge and Betty, for the faith of Margaret and the strength of Don in trials. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      Above all let her not neglect or undervalue
      the welfare of the souls committed to her,
      in a greater concern for fleeting, earthly, perishable things;
      but let her always bear in mind
      that she has undertaken the government of souls
      and that she will have to give an account of them.
      And if she be tempted to allege a lack of earthly means,
      let her remember what is written:
      "First seek the kingdom of God and His justice,
      and all these things shall be given you besides" (Ps. 33:10).
      And again:
      "Nothing is wanting to those who fear Him."
      Let her know, then,
      that she who has undertaken the government of souls
      must prepare herself to render an account of them.
      Whatever number of sisters she knows she has under her care,
      she may be sure beyond doubt that on Judgment Day
      she will have to give the Lord an account of all these souls,
      as well as of her own soul.
      Thus the constant apprehension
      about her coming examination as shepherd (Ezech. 34)
      concerning the sheep entrusted to her,
      and her anxiety over the account that must be given for others,
      make her careful of her own record.
      And while by her admonitions she is helping others to amend,
      she herself is cleansed of her faults.

      REFLECTION

      There are two beautiful lessons for us non-abbatial types in this
      chapter. The first is a partial Benedictine view of material goods
      and the second consoles us that teaching will hopefully also teach
      the teacher!

      The Benedictine view of property is neither complete nor correct
      without the principle invoked here. Yes, later on we hear that all
      the goods of the monastery must be regarded as if they were sacred
      vessels of the altar. We also hear a lot of attentive prescriptions
      about poverty and ownership. Either of these made dogma without the
      third principle will spell trouble. That third principle, enunciated
      here, is "people first, things later; don't sweat the small stuff and
      things are ALWAYS small stuff by comparison to souls."

      A good Benedictine will go to careful lengths to avoid breaking a
      something, but will treat it lightly if someone else does: "Oh,
      that's no big deal. I'll tend to it later." or "Dishes I can replace,
      YOU I cannot. Don`t worry about it." See what I mean? We must be
      personally very careful of things, but we must never make others feel
      small, and least of all in the name of temporal goods.

      The other gem buried here is learning from teaching. Anyone who has
      ever taught 5th grade science will tell you that it will teach you
      more than the average person at a party knows about the topic.
      (Unless the party is given at Massachusetts Institute of Technology!)
      It will remind you of a great deal of basic information that you have
      long forgotten. Teaching, ideally, keeps one up to date on a subject.
      If teaching alone doesn't do that, the questions of the students
      usually will!

      Look at that last line: if you do ANY vocation right, it will profit
      both you and those you serve. It may not always profit both in
      exactly the same ways, but there will always be supernatural benefits
      for both. If there aren't, some fine-tuning might be in order. An
      example might well be parents who raise a child to practice the faith
      when they themselves do not. I'm sure there must be some roaring
      exception out there somewhere, a miracle of grace, but I have never
      known a child to practice beyond high school when raised that way.
      Sending a kid to Church without you is good for neither of you. The
      kid loses a necessary role model and the parent misses out on a lot
      of grace.

      So, one of the ways to ensure that supernatural benefit accrues for
      all in a vocation is outlined here: put the souls first, put the
      Kingdom of God and His things first. A closely related corollary
      follows on that: people before things, always, always, people before
      things! Whatever the faults and flaws of humanity, it shares a
      dignity of blessed creation that does not extend to material things
      as such. That's the basic truth which makes materialism so woefully
      false.

      Follow the priority established here and you will be well on the way
      to a holy and fruitful living out of any call. It is as easy as
      1,2,3! First, God and His kingdom, second, people, persons, the crown
      of His mercy's creations, and third things, but only insofar as they
      relate significantly to God and persons!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 14, 2007

          Prayers, please, for Bob, diagnosed with a brain tumor and given a month to
          live. His wife Teri was very upset at the time and is extremely grateful for
          the additional good time they have been granted. This week, Bob has been put
          to bed with tubes and such. He is in pain, not sleeping well (hence neither
          is Teri). She sends her thanks for all your prayers and the time that they
          have been granted. Please continue to hold them both up in prayer in Bob's
          final days, for his happy death and eternal rest and for strength and grace for
          Teri in her ordeal.

          Terrible ice storms in the U.S. Midwest have left many people without power,
          meaning no heat and no water for many, with bone-chilling cold forecast for
          early this week. Prayers, too, for the safety of the crews trying to restore
          power lines, their work is so dangerous. Lord, help us all as You know and
          Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          here, is "people first, things later; don't sweat the small stuff and mere
          material things are ALWAYS small stuff by comparison to souls."