Holy Rule for Jan. 14

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Jay, heart procedure and awaiting further cardiac surgery, and for Shirley, his wife and all his family, prayers, too, for Jane, breast cancer with lymph node involvement, needs aggressive treatment and for Andy, her husband, in his last week of radiation for prostate cancer. Both are self-employed, so this is a touch time for them. Prayers, too, for Gail, similar diagnosis of breast cancer, also requiring heavy treatment. Prayers for the health of Joyce and for her daughter, Grace. Prayers for Rev. Tommy and his wife, Penny. Two previous surgeries on her stroke-affected hip have failed and now total replacement is their only option. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      The Abbess should always remember what she is
      and what she is called,
      and should know that to whom more is committed,
      from her more is required (Luke 12:48).
      Let her understand also
      what a difficult and arduous task she has undertaken:
      ruling souls and adapting herself to a variety of characters.
      One she must coax, another scold, another persuade,
      according to each one's character and understanding.
      Thus she must adjust and adapt herself to all
      in such a way that she may not only suffer no loss
      in the flock committed to her care,
      but may even rejoice in the increase of a good flock.

      REFLECTION

      When we read these portions of the Holy Rule which deal with the
      Abbot or other officials a very handy suggestion is in order. Read
      them to see what the Abbess DOES comply with, not what you feel she
      misses, because no one I have ever known in the abbacy is perfect
      enough to fulfill them all at all times.

      Read them with one eye on who the Abbot or boss or parent really is
      as a frail human being, what sort of person he is, and the other eye
      focused on what is demanded of him by the Holy Rule. Chapters such as
      this one will give you a really valuable insight into what those
      officials are wrestling with, a glimpse of how tough it can be to
      tread the very fine line.

      Parents, fear not! I'll bet Mother Teresa of Calcutta couldn't read
      this chapters without cringing a little, maybe even a lot. If your
      eyes are even half open, you will see the areas of failure every time
      you read them. (If, by some odd oversight, you have missed one or
      two, your children are quite likely to point them out to you the next
      time they get mad!!)

      Use those areas as goals to work on, but don't
      beat yourself up on them too badly. Not only does no one ever get
      there all at once, but, frankly, I don't think anyone ever gets there
      all the way period. It is death and heaven which finally perfect us.
      Meanwhile, we struggle and plod.

      Finally, since the majority of us will never be Abbots, read these
      portions of the Rule to see how you measure up. How many of these
      qualities do you have? When one of the things demanded of the Abbess
      is exercised in your regard, how gracefully, even gratefully, do you
      receive it? Authority is a two-way street. Any kid who thinks it ALL
      devolves on parents hasn't read the Commandments past number three.
      There are responsibilities both parties must uphold.

      Change "Abbess" to "Christian" and read again. Then add "Benedictine"
      to "Christian" and re-check that part about "to whom more is
      committed."

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 14, 2006
        +PAX

        Prayers, please for vocations to St. Mary's Monastery and to Pluscarden Abbey, also to Kristo Buase Monastery in Ghana. Prayers for the mental health of Lillian and for her long-suffering parents. Prayers for Katrina, seeking a Scripture course that is right for her. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Helen, Ann and Julie. Prayers for all lives still shattered by the tsunami and by the hurricanes and other natural disasters of last year. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        there all at once, but, frankly, I think hardly anyone ever gets there

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers, please, for Michael LoPiccolo. Now he, who has done so much to help
          me out when I couldn't get on line, is having terrible troubles with his
          on-line connection. He asked me to tell you that he may not be able to respond
          to prayer intentions or other messages. Be assured he would never ignore such
          things, if he doesn't get back to you, it is because he can't get on line. If
          there is anyway I can help any of you, or relay messages to him by phone,
          please let me know. _brjeromeleo@..._ (mailto:brjeromeleo@...)

          Prayers for Brian, anxious about a pending arbitration and its outcome.
          Prayers for Nadeem's parents, both very sick, and for Nadeem, who is very worried
          about them, and for all their family. Prayers for all who treat us and our
          prayer intention folks spiritually, mentally or physically. May God guide and
          reward them. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All

          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 13, 2008
            +PAX

            Prayers, please, for the spiritual, metnal and physcial health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who take care of them:

            Danielle, a young mother rushed to the hospital with possible food poisoning or appendicitis

            Ann, complete bone scan to be sure she is cancer-free.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 13

              +PAX

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Joaquin Hernandez, kidnapped priest in Mexico for whom we prayed, his body has been found. Prayers for his family, parishioners and all who mourn him. Prayers, too, for whoever murdered him and for their repentance and conversion.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Carroll, of Honolulu Diocese, and for his family and all who mourn him.

              Prayers for Heather, who had an interview about her own job going from part time back to full time status.  Please pray that the Holy Spirit guides all concerned  and that all obstacles will be overcome.  Most importantly, of course, prayers for God's will in this.

              Prayers for Subin, his fiancée broke their engagement, days before their wedding. Prayers for his comfort and that God gives him the wife the He wants for him.

              Prayers of thanksgiving for the five young novices beginning their life with the Carthusian community in Reillanne and for their perseverance, may God bless then and keep them, may Mary watch over them and St. Bruno encourage them.

              Please continue to pray for JP and his son JD. The hospital is removing the ventilator today. Prayers for his healing or for a happy death, should God call him.

              Please pray for Josie E. for whose special intention we prayed. Her son has just died in New York. Please pray for his eternal rest and for Josie to be comforted.

[...]

              tread the very fine line. Pray hard for those in authority over us.

              Parents, fear not! I'll bet most people couldn't read
              this chapter's portions without cringing a little, maybe even a lot. If your
              eyes are even half open, you will see the areas of failure every time
              you read them. (If, by some odd oversight, you have missed one or
              two, your children are quite likely to point them out to you the next
              time they get mad!!)

              Use those areas as goals to work on, but don't
              beat yourself up on them too badly. Not only does no one ever get
              there all at once, but, frankly, I think very few ever get there
              all the way, period. It is death and purgation which finally perfect

              most of us. Meanwhile, we struggle and plod.