Holy Rule for Jan. 9

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2005
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Edith, who has suffered a stroke, also for Mrs. Grundy, inoperable tumor, and for her children and grandchildren and all her family. [Please note that I very rarely use last names, for privacy reasons. Had to this time, as I had no first name.] prayers of thanks and Deo Gratias for Andy, whose lymphoma is in remission and for a young man who has passed his first test to become a fireman, a lifelong dream. Continued prayers for them both! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! JL

      An Abbess who is worthy to be over a monastery
      should always remember what she is called,
      and live up to the name of Superior.
      For she is believed to hold the place of Christ in the monastery,
      being called by a name of His,
      which is taken from the words of the Apostle:
      "You have received a Spirit of adoption ...,
      by virtue of which we cry, 'Abba -- Father'" (Rom. 8:15)!

      Therefore the Abbess ought not to teach or ordain or command
      anything which is against the Lord's precepts;
      on the contrary,
      her commands and her teaching
      should be a leaven of divine justice
      kneaded into the minds of her disciples.

      REFLECTION

      Folks, the abbot is a parent, so, while I am writing about abbots in
      my experience, this is also true of parents, or any authority
      position. Stick with me, you'll see what I mean in the end.

      It will no doubt come as a great relief to other cranky types like
      me to note that the leaven gently kneaded into the minds of certain
      disciples often seems to have a downright underwhelming effect. A
      hallmark of us curmudgeonly types is impatience: we do not suffer
      fools gladly, the miracle is that we endure them at all. Most of all,
      we want those fools FIXED, right now, or yesterday at the latest! The
      tragedy of this is that, in assuming we can recognize fools so
      terribly well, we completely miss the fool at work in ourselves.

      That's not the only issue, though. This leaven-in-the-dough stuff
      works two ways. Throw a measure of leaven into a heap of cornmeal and
      you'll wind up with a different critter than several cups of
      buckwheat or flour would produce. For all I know, you could probably
      throw yeast into concrete and wind up with a meringue-like patio.
      Both components are essential to the change, both elements affect the
      outcome.

      Abbot and monastic, parent and child, boss and employer, all these
      are very, very intricate duets of God's mercy and grace. Neither may
      be very evident to one while in the midst of things! Time and wisdom
      and hindsight bring a different view. Beyond that, all of us change:
      the characters in the catalyst are always changing, no matter how
      subtly. God has done some awesomely loving fine-tuning here!

      God uses human means to accomplish His will, as my favorite
      professor, Dr. Jean Ronan, so often said. Ah, but the abbacy scores
      doubly on this maxim. A very human abbot is elected by a very human
      community. Most often, abbots are elected to counteract each other.

      The human community gets tired of the very human tendency of an abbot
      to stress one thing above others. Hence, tight reins are often
      replaced with loose ones and vice versa. It is also worthy of note
      that, within about three years, roughly the same number of people
      will be sorely complaining about either extreme or the lack thereof!

      Those human means which God uses are often quite firmly addicted to
      extremes. The extremes then vex a majority to the opposite extreme.
      (I know this is the Marxist dialectic and I know it is not always
      true, but it does have a kernel of application.) Usually, sometime
      after we are all so fatigued with polarization that we have briefly
      stopped watching, a median virtue ensues!

      And what about that leaven that I couldn't notice having much effect?
      Well, neither I nor anyone else knows, save the person and God. Some
      die, some leave before the effect is seen. Leaven works. It may work
      slowly, it may work in a variety of ways, but all leaven does
      something sooner or later! Faith and trust in God's Divine Mercy
      require that we have a LOT of patience with bread cast on waters in
      tremendous hope!

      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 9, 2006
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for Catherine, beginning her service as a youth ministry coordinator, also prayers of Deo gratias and thanksgiving for a successful youth Epiphany play. Prayers for a sixth grader charged with selling drugs to an undercover police officer, for his heartbroken family and all affected. Prayers for a man who committed suicide because he felt he could no longer the pain from a skin condition. Prayers for Timothy, 34, severe headaches of unknown cause. So far no successful diagnosis or treatment. He is to be married soon and this is very troubling to him and all concerned. Prayers for them all!

        Prayers of Deo gratias and thanks for Angie, whose ovarian cyst removal we prayed for. She has come through wonderfully well, no cancer and an even better prognosis than was expected. Thanks from her and her friend who asked for all the prayers! Another Deo gratias from Allison, whose housing worries have been solved, better than she could have imagined. Also, prayers for her three grown children. Prayers for God's will for them all! Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        A final note, much, maybe even MOST of the leavening work of grace and
        sanctification in our own hearts and souls takes place unnoticed, the
        silent, unsung, yet constant workings of the Divine Mercy. Usually we
        don't even realize it until a long while after its completion. One day we
        wake up and finally notice something is different, something is better in us.
        That has nothing to do with us at all: such secret works are all the gratuitous
        gift of the Leaven of all leavens Himself! Deo gratias!!!!

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 8

          +PAX

          Deo gratias and prayers of thanksgiving,  please.  Ron came through his surgery (a quadruple bypass) and is doing very well.  He may be even released by mid-week. Continued prayers for his recovery.

          Prayers for Subin and J.; that they both can find the wives God wills for them.

          Prayers for Karl-Albert P. from Bochum/ Germany on his birthday, from his Family and the Community Group of St. Benedict.

          Graces galore , ad multos annos.

          Please pray for healing for JP H.. He is in grave condition and unconscious after a fall at work where he sustained a critical head injury. Please pray for him as he is in ICU and not expected to come out of this well and for his only child, JP junior.

          Please pray for the eternal repose of Father Michael Scanlan, TOR, 85. Father was a dynamic, evangelizing president emeritus of Steubenville’s Franciscan University. Prayers too please for the many who mourn him.

          Lord, help us all as You know and will.
[...]

          Abbot and monastic, parent and child, boss and employee, all these
          are very, very intricate duets of God's mercy and grace. Neither may
          be very evident to one while in the midst of things! Time and wisdom
          and hindsight bring a different view. Beyond that, all of us change:
          the characters in the catalyst are always changing, no matter how
          subtly. God has done some awesomely loving fine-tuning here!

          God uses human means to accomplish His will, as my dear
          professor, Dr. Jean Ronan, so often said. Ah, but the abbacy scores
          doubly on this maxim. A very human abbot is elected by a very human
          community. Sometimes, abbots are elected to counteract each other.
          The human community gets tired of the very human tendency of an abbot
          to stress one thing above others. Hence, tight reins are often
          replaced with loose ones and vice versa.

          Those human means which God uses are often quite firmly addicted to
          extremes. The extremes then vex a majority to the opposite extreme.
          (I know this is the Marxist dialectic and I know it is not always
          true, but it does have a kernel of application. Even a stopped clock is right
          twice a day.) Sometime after we are all so fatigued with polarization that we
          have briefly stopped watching, perhaps a median virtue ensues!

          And what about that leaven that I couldn't notice having much effect?
          Well, neither I nor anyone else knows, save the person and God. Some
          die, some leave before the effect is seen. Leaven works. It may work
          slowly, it may work in a variety of ways, but leaven does
          something sooner or later! Faith and trust in God's Divine Mercy
          require that we have a LOT of patience with bread cast on waters in
          tremendous hope!

          A final note, much, maybe even MOST of the leavening work of grace
          and sanctification in our own hearts and souls takes place unnoticed, the
          silent, unsung, yet constant workings of the Divine Mercy. Usually we
          don't even realize it until a long while after its completion. One
          day we wake up and finally notice something is different, something is
          better in us. Such secret works are all the
          gratuitous gift of the Leaven of all leavens Himself! Deo gratias!!!!