Holy Rule for Jan. 5

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 5, 2005

      Prayers for a very, very kind and selfless person, who gives to many and is now struggling with complex post-traumatic stress disorder. This person, who does so much for so many, richly deserves our ardent prayers. Prayers for the victims of the tsunamis. Don't let the prayers flag as media coverage can overkill the feelings. Prayers are needed aid, too, especially for the dying, at the moment of their death. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      January 5, May 6, September 5
      Prologue (continued)

      Hence the Lord says in the Gospel,
      "Whoever listens to these words of Mine and acts upon them,
      I will liken to a wise person
      who built a house on rock.
      The floods came,
      the winds blew and beat against that house,
      and it did not fall,
      because it had been founded on rock" (Matt. 7:24-25).

      Having given us these assurances,
      the Lord is waiting every day
      for us to respond by our deeds to His holy admonitions.
      And the days of this life are lengthened
      and a respite granted us for this very reason,
      that we may amend our evil ways.
      As the Apostle says,
      "Do you not know that God's patience is inviting you to repent" (Rom.
      2:4)?
      For the merciful Lord tells us,
      "I desire not the death of the sinner,
      but that the sinner should be converted and live" (Ezech. 33:11).

      REFLECTION

      People like me are very prone to regard repentance with the same
      eagerness that we ordinarily reserve for cleaning the
      refrigerator: "I'll get around to that..." Truth is, I rarely do.
      What happens instead is that one of our wonderful Oblates, Richard of
      Springfield (who gets this daily reflection,) comes for a weekend and
      cleans the icebox. Hallelujah! Saint Richard!! Thank you, Richard!
      Richard cleans like a dream and my world looks a lot better whenever
      he's been here!

      If you are not like me, and your icebox has ALWAYS been clean, is
      buffed up every week to shining glory and you carry a damp washcloth
      every time you open the fridge just in case, than fine, this portion
      was not written for you. However, it should be noted that even
      immaculate icebox types may have to check behind the icebox or take a
      look at the oven.... I mean, if you want to be REALLY perfect, you
      could move the fridge and wax the floor underneath- with paste wax
      and a buffer, of course!

      Get my point? This is surely written for most of us. Most of us have
      some sort of a grungy corner that we'll "get to tomorrow," if ever.
      St. Benedict is reminding us again that "Now is the acceptable
      time..." St. Isaac of Syria said: "This life has been given to you
      for repentance, do not waste it in vain pursuits."

      Sadly, people like me hear in St. Isaac's words: "This life has been
      given to you for icebox cleaning..." Yeah, right! Oh boy, what a
      gift! Just can't for to get up each morning! And we shrug and walk
      away. Why? Because the typically monastic idea of repentance is very
      different from that of our modern Christianity.

      We tend to look at repentance as necessary in proportion to guilt.
      The early monastics saw it as necessary for everyone, period. We
      would almost chuckle at the idea of a virgin martyr of twelve in the
      Roman world repenting. "Of what?" we'd incredulously ask. The early
      monastic would see no problem there at all. Repentance, from a
      monastic and Benedictine view, is needful to for all because all are
      fallen, all are incapable of living the Christian life without God
      and grace, all, left to their own whims, would fall short of the
      monastic struggle.

      The repentance we speak of here is similar to that of baptism, but
      not identical. Certainly one can be saved without entering the
      monastic way (or cleaning refrigerators, for that matter!) What St.
      Benedict is speaking of here is the special road of the monastic
      struggle. Plenty of saints, in fact most saints, were neither monks
      nor Benedictines. Big news there! What St. Benedict is saying is "OK,
      this is our approach. There are, of course, others, but if you want
      to use ours, you this is what you have to do." "Repent!" St. John the
      Baptist cried again and again in the desert, and somewhere along the
      way of that preaching, Jesus, the Lamb of God, stepped into the
      Jordan. Folks, if HE can answer the call to repent, anyone can! He
      had no need at all!

      What our repentance affirms is that we cannot become monastics with no
      trouble: our natures make that impossible. On our monastic way to
      God, many, many human things stand in our hearts and in our way.
      That's what we repent and shall always have to repent. Whenever our
      focus, our purity of heart is fragmented in any way, that's what we
      have to repent.

      Now, after writing this, you might safely assume that I am off to
      clean the refrigerator, but you would be wrong. I mean, after all,
      Richard IS visiting again soon and maybe he wouldn't mind starting
      the painting a little bit late... LOL! (Richard really does paint,
      though. Like a pro! Most of the new paint in the house is his work.)

      All joking aside, great thanks are due to many of our Oblates and
      guests, all of whom make this a shared ministry of hospitality. This
      great team effort results in people being a lot more comfortable here
      than they would be with nothing but ole non-icebox-cleaning me! Say
      a prayer of thanks with me for all of them! All of them help receive
      Christ at our door.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 5, 2006

        Prayers, please, for a fine priest who has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Prayers for James, for his spiritual journey and discernment, may he find and do only God's will, and the same for his son, Stephen, in jail now for a foolish mistake he made and looking to return to the Church, hopefully he will be released soon and can start his life anew. Prayers for Brian, for whom we have prayed. He still denies his alcoholism and refuses help for his bipolar illness, and for his worried parents and all trying to help him. Prayers for all suffering spiritual alienation and despair. Prayers for a troubled marriage. Continued prayers for Angie, surgery tomorrow and for Olga and her special intentions, on her birthday. Prayers for two boys, one orphaned, one abandoned, that money for their schooling may be found. Prayers for Stan and his wife and all their family. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        every time you open the fridge just in case, then fine, this portion
        was not written for you. However, it should be noted that even
        immaculate icebox types may have to check behind the icebox or take a
        look at the oven.... I mean, if you want to be REALLY perfect, you
        could move the fridge and wax the floor underneath- with paste wax
        and a buffer, of course!

        Get my point? This is surely written for most of us. Most of us have
        some sort of a grungy corner that we'll "get to tomorrow," if ever.
        St. Benedict is reminding us again that "Now is the acceptable
        time..." St. Isaac of Syria said: "This life has been given to you
        for repentance, do not waste it in vain pursuits."

        Sadly, people like me hear in St. Isaac's words: "This life has been
        given to you for icebox cleaning..." Yeah, right! Oh boy, what a thrill!
        Such a gift! Just can't wait to get up each morning! And we shrug and walk
        away. Why? Because the typically monastic idea of repentance is very
        different from that of our modern Christianity.

        We tend to look at repentance as necessary in proportion to guilt.
        The early monastics saw it as necessary for everyone, period. We
        would almost chuckle at the idea of a virgin martyr of twelve in the
        Roman world repenting. "Of what?" we'd incredulously ask. The early
        monastic would see no problem there at all. Repentance, from a
        monastic and Benedictine view, is needful to for all because all are
        fallen, all are incapable of living the Christian life without God
        and grace. All of us, left to their own whims, would fall short of the
        monastic struggle.

        The repentance we speak of here is similar to that of Baptism, but
        not identical. Certainly one can be saved without entering the
        monastic way (or cleaning refrigerators, for that matter!) What St.
        Benedict is speaking of here is the special road of the monastic
        struggle. Plenty of saints, in fact most saints, were neither monks
        nor Benedictines. Big news there!

        What St. Benedict is saying is "OK, this is our approach. There are,
        of course, others, but if you want to use ours, you this is what you have
        to do." "Repent!" St. John the Baptist cried again and again in the desert,
        and somewhere along the way of that preaching, Jesus, the Lamb of God,
        stepped into the Jordan. Face it, folks, if He can answer the call to repent,
[...]

        a prayer of thanks with me for all of them! All of them help us receive
        Christ at our door.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2007

          Prayers, please, for Tania, who suffered a heart attack and stroke and had
          triple bypass surgery, prayers for all her family, too, especially her son,
          Marco, who is her principal caregiver. Prayers, please for Patrick, a gifted
          teen subject to severe depression and a possible suicide risk. He doesn't seem
          to realize what is wrong, but those around him do. Prayers for Declan, 2,
          hospitalized with intestinal virus and for his parents and baby sister who so
          far are ok.

          Prayers for Bruce (not the Bruce we prayed for recently,) who took his own
          life on New Year's Eve, for his happy death and eternal rest and for all who
          mourn him. Prayers for all who take their own lives, and for those who survive
          them. For the survivors, the pain and questions never entirely end. Prayers
          for Candy, stage 4 pancreatic cancer, a spot on her colon, too; started chemo,
          but the prognosis is only to prolong her life, not to cure. For God's
          perfect will and even a miracle, should that be His will for Candy, for her peace
          and serenity in any event. Prayers for S.K., experiencing severe difficulties
          in prayer, feeling unable to pray. Lord, help us all as You know and will.
[...]

          Chicopee (who gets this daily reflection,) comes for a weekend and

          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 4, 2008

            Please pray for the happy death and eternal repose of Father Tom, who passed away suddenly.

            Prayers, too, for the spiritual, mental and phsyical health of the following, for their loved ones and all who take care of them:

            Peter, diagnosed with lung cancer. Please pray for Peter's wife Pat and their family.

            Fr Andrew, he has been in hospital after 2 or 3 fainting fits, they now seem to think he has 2 lesions on the brain and possibly liver cancer as well, although this is unconfirmed at the moment. Please also pray for Elizabeth his wife, and his mother Bettine, and his children Thomas,James, Edward, William, and Rebecca

            And for the Parish of St Andrew, Eastbourne, England. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL