Sep 21

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2002

      I apologize heartily for the on/off nature of this past week. My
      computer WILL rise, hopefully on Monday, hopefully with a
      new "glorified" body: I am changing computers completely. Long, gory
      story...You don't want to hear the details, but if you've ever been
      off line for a week or more, you know what I mean!!

      I am not even going to aim at wwriting or posting another Holy Rule
      till Monday or Tuesday, whichever finds me on line in my own room.
      How did we live before computers?

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome

      To fulfil God's commandments daily in one's deeds.
      To love chastity.
      To hate no one.
      Not to be jealous, not to harbor envy.
      Not to love contention.
      To beware of haughtiness.
      And to respect the seniors.
      To love the juniors.
      To pray for one's enemies in the love of Christ.
      To make peace with one's adversary before the sun sets.
      And never to despair of God's mercy.
      These, then, are the tools of the spiritual craft.
      If we employ them unceasingly day and night,
      and return them on the Day of Judgment,
      our compensation from the Lord
      will be that wage He has promised:
      "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard,
      what God has prepared for those who love Him" (1 Cor. 2:9).

      Now the workshop
      in which we shall diligently execute all these tasks
      is the enclosure of the monastery
      and stability in the community.

      REFLECTION

      One very quick little thought here: even the tools we do manage to
      pull off using are not our own: we are to return them on the Day of
      Judgment!!! Hey, before we fall all over ourselves, patting our own
      backs for this or that, we are doing it all with borrowed tools!
      Humbling thought there!