Holy Rule for Dec. 28

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 28, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Davon, 12, and her Mom and her family. The surgery we prayed about revealed her cancer has spread extensively and now her Mom is forced to choose between extensive chemo and letting Davon die. Very difficult situation here. Deo gratias prayers for Norah, whose grandson was abducted. She has him back, but the custody crisis continues. Pray on, please. Continued prayers for all the tsunami victims in Asia. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      April 28, August 28, December 28
      Chapter 70: That No One Venture to Punish at Random

      Every occasion of presumption
      shall be avoided in the monastery,
      and we decree that no one be allowed
      to excommunicate or to strike any of her sisters
      unless the Abbess has given her the authority.
      Those who offend in this matter
      shall be rebuked in the presence of all,
      that the rest may have fear.

      But children up to 15 years of age
      shall be carefully controlled and watched by all,
      yet this too with all moderation and discretion.
      All, therefore, who presume
      without the Abbess' instructions
      to punish those above that age
      or who lose their temper with them,
      shall undergo the discipline of the Rule;
      for it is written,
      "Do not to another what you would not want done to yourself" (Tobias
      4:16).

      REFLECTION

      "Every occasion of presumption should be avoided in the monastery."
      This is about a lot more than saying who can punish whom. This is
      pointing out that, whenever there are more than one to be considered,
      absolute freedom cannot exist. This is about central authority, yes,
      but it is also about the total way one conducts oneself in a home or
      group that others share.

      Ever think about your first home away from your parents house? It was
      probably different in a lot of ways, especially if you lived there
      alone. Heady freedom that! I recall my own first place very well and
      fondly. However, I can assure you, I could not have lived as I did
      there had I been in a family, with younger siblings at home. (OK, it
      was 1969, so go figure...)

      Even alone, however, I was not free to play my stereo at undue
      volumes at 3 AM. We live on a common planet, at some point ALL of our
      lives touch others. When they do, control of some sort is necessary
      if people are to live in peace.

      There is a great and treacherous myth of individualism among
      Americans and, to a lesser extent, I think, among all Western
      European cultures. Non-western cultures often have a much more highly
      developed sense of sharing and commonality. The American nonsense
      of "God-bless-the-child-that's-got-his-own" does justice to neither
      God nor the child!

      Schweitzer pointed out that Europeans found the Africans lazy,
      because they would not work to a point of exhaustion without need.
      They worked all right, but when the work was done, they quit. They
      had a casual and natural attitude to work, proper to their own
      economic system, that drove the Europeans nuts, because the latter
      had more of a 40-hours-a-week-and-then-you-rest notion. Both
      Schweitzer and I tend to side with the natives on this one!

      That myth of total freedom, of self-sufficiency being able to buy one
      the right to any activity is totally wrong. Even at 20, in my richly
      bohemian digs that I called "Shackri-la", I was not totally free. I
      didn't know it back then, but I wasn't. I had no right to waste water
      or leave lights on all night or drive drunk. My fantasy might have
      been chronologically appropriate as Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco,
      but hey, even there, even then, people were not free in any absolute
      sense. None of us are.

      Every presumed domain of our control exists on a planet shared by
      billions. No one of us is an island. Our complete interdependence is
      not only objective fact, it is our only hope. You might never have
      read this chapter as an ad for ecological consciousness, but look at
      the first line again. We are ALWAYS in this with others and that
      always means responsibilities to "...not do to another what one would
      not have done to oneself."

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 28, 2005

        Remember to pray for all those you shared Christmas greetings with!

        Prayers of great thanks and Deo gratias for Riannon, her surgery went well and she is at home, also for Pete and Betsy, a second opinion has his leg amputation put on hold for now. Cherie, brain aneurysm, for whom we prayed, is well and recovering nicely. Deo gratias!!! Continued prayers please for all four.

        Prayers for David, who abandoned his faith and perhaps lost it. He is breaking the hearts of those who love him. Prayers for Elizabeth, that she may return to the Church. Prayers for Dawn, 27, a first-time Mom, due to welcome Caleb into her arms in about two weeks. Prayers for Father Jim, recently retired, have a biopsy on a brain tumor.

        Prayers for the employment according to God's will of Rachel, also for her son, home from Iraq, Deo gratias, but scarred emotionally by the horror he lived through. Prayers for the faith and strength of Matt. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        didn't know it well enough back then, but I wasn't. I had no right to waste
        water or leave lights on all night or drive drunk. My fantasy might have
        been chronologically appropriate as Haight-Ashbury in San Francisco,
        but hey, even there, even then, people were not morally free in any absolute

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 27, 2006

          An update from Mary Anne on "our Emma", a huge Deo gratias!! Continued
          prayers for little Emma, her family and for Mary Anne and those helping Emma and
          her family. Mary Anne sent me a lovely photo of her children with Emma and
          her brother. If you'd like a copy sent to you, e mail me privately, as the
          lists won't allow attached files.

          "Emma was present at Christmas Eve children's mass - sang in children's
          choir
          and even had a solo; not a dry eye to be found as we witnessed our Christmas
          miracle. Emma is still scheduled to go into Children's Hospital for rehab .
          . . in fact she is there today being evaluated. I just thought you'd like
          to share the good news."

          Prayers for Deacon Charles Burger, serving at Sts Cyril and Methodius
          Byzantine Catholic Church in Cary, NC; he is in critical condition after a traffic
          accident on Christmas Day. He is on total life support and is unresponsive.
          His wife Barbara and son Ivan were killed in this accident, prayers for their
          happy death and eternal rest. Please remember all of the members of this
          family in your prayers.

          Prayers, please, for Esta and Paul, they're moving and beginning an exciting
          new chapter in their lives, that God be with them during this period of
          change.
          Remember to pray for all you exchanged Christmas greetings with. Lord, help
          us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 28, 2007

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, for all those they leave behind and for all who mourn them:

            Mike, 57, sudden death from heart attack, and his wife and three kids,

            Jim, 42, died on Christmas Eve of an apparent heart attack and leaves
            behind an 11-year old son, Cody, and a nine-year-old daughter, Nikki.
            Whole family taking it very hard.

            Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and those who take care of them:

            A dysfunctional office situation needing many healings, and for Elaine.

            Brittany, Conner, and others, for wise choices of God's will.

            Terez and Joseph, for their love and her job hunt.

            Rhoda, pneumonia in her only remaining lung.

            Benazir Bhutto and all the people of Pakistan.