Holy Rule for Dec. 17

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 17, 2004

      Prayers, please, for a young man, 22, who must have his kidney removed, and for his family, also for someone having surgery for prostate cancer. Continued prayers for Paula, MS, and for her husband Joe and their family. Prayers for the repose of the souls of Helen, John, George and Walter. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      April 17, August 17, December 17
      Chapter 62: On the Priests of the Monastery

      If an Abbot desire
      to have a priest or a deacon ordained for his monastery,
      let him choose one
      who is worthy to exercise the priestly office.

      But let the one who is ordained
      beware of self-exaltation or pride;
      and let him not presume to do anything
      except what is commanded him by the Abbot,
      knowing that he is so much the more subject
      to the discipline of the Rule.
      Nor should he by reason of his priesthood forget
      the obedience and the discipline required by the Rule,
      but make ever more and more progress towards God.

      Let him always keep the place which he received
      on entering the monastery,
      except in his duties at the altar
      or in case the choice of the community and the will of the Abbess
      should promote him for the worthiness of his life.
      Yet he must understand
      that he is to observe the rules laid down by deans and Priors.

      Should he presume to act otherwise,
      let him be judged not as a priest but as a rebel.
      And if he does not reform after repeated admonitions,
      let even the Bishop be brought in as a witness.
      If then he still fails to amend,
      and his offenses are notorious,
      let him be put out of the monastery,
      but only if his contumacy is such
      that he refuses to submit or to obey the Rule.

      REFLECTION

      This chapter applies to anyone who rises at work or at school or even
      in the home. Much is required of those to whom much is given! When a
      Benedictine gets a promotion, the basic willingness to do anything
      necessary ought to remain firmly in place! All authority, all power entails
      responsibility.

      Authority, when we hold it, is not about us, it's about them, the people
      over whom it is exercised. It's exercise is not about us either, it is about
      the folks that authority is meant to serve. Just as a really good priest or
      minister "disappears" behind vesture and rubric when serving at the altar,
      so should those in authority be. We ought always to be able to see the
      common good in them, not a cheap and tacky caricature of a bad monarch.

      Authority, when it is placed over us, is to be reverenced and obeyed.
      When it is placed in our own hands, it is to serve, not to reign! All
      of us get the opportunity to deal with authority or to administer
      same. Our Benedictine hearts should make it readily evident to any
      who observes us that our style in either area is decidedly different!

      There's another thing both the world and religious life could profit
      from learning. Authority in the Holy Rule is not permanent, not even
      in the case of an Abbot, whom St. Benedict says may, even ought to be
      removed in extreme cases. So often, in cloister or world, once we
      have kicked someone upstairs, we are hesitant to ever put them
      downstairs again. That shouldn't be. It gives the person and the
      community an excellent potential for learning and teaching humility.
      Whenever anyone handles authority badly, really badly, they should
      not be rewarded with continued administration. Alas, that is often
      not the case.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 17, 2005

        Prayers, please, for Pat, on her FIFTIETH birthday. Though most would not know this, all our readers owe a debt of gratitude to Pat: she gave the monastery the computer on which these reflections are sent out and which helped immensely in the setting up of our website. Thanks, Pat! Happy Birthday, blessings and graces!

        Prayers for Bob, broken hip, and for his wife, Kathryn and his surgeons. Prayers for a person with a sexual addiction and struggling bravely! Prayers for Gin, early stage colon cancer, for her husband, Donny and all their family. Prayers for Joy in Tampa, chemo and radiation for her cancer, and for Shirley, nausea and fatigue, also for her cat, Simon, who has had surgery for kidney problems. Prayers for Matt, still having a very tough time. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 16, 2006

          Prayers for Pat on her fifty-first birthday! Ad multos annos and Deo gratias
          for the gift her life is! Blessings and graces in abundance!

          Prayers for Mary, surgery earlier this week for thyroid cancer. Prayers for
          Fr. P.'s Dad, triple bypass surgery. Now, for a HUGE Deo gratias: Mike, the
          fellow we prayed for last week who had 2 heart attacks and two strokes, is
          already home and walked into Church on his own power, thanking our own Michael
          LoPiccolo who had asked prayers for him. Truly, this is nothing short of a
          miraculous recovery. He had been in ICU with a very iffy prognosis. God is so
          good!

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 16, 2007

            Special prayers for Pat, on her 52nd birthday, a gift her life is to so many! Ad multos annos, many years!

            Adrian, slow recovery from hip replacement, now walking with one crutch.

            Paul, grieving the loss of his Dad, and for all their family.

            Jim, psychological problems.

            Special intentions for Fr. David, Sean, MAtt and Karin.

            Robert, colonoscopy on Monday and a strong family history of colon cancer.

            Jessie, caught up in wicca.

            Sam, prostate and bladder surgery postponed because of sever vertigo, also has serious artery blockage. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL