Holy Rule for Dec. 12

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 12, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Frank, his wife of 55 years who has died, and their granddaughters, Amanda, Krista and Sara. Frank and the girls are taking the loss very hard. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      When she is to be received
      she promises before all in the oratory
      stability,
      fidelity to monastic life
      and obedience.
      This promise she shall make before God and His Saints,
      so that if she should ever act otherwise,
      she may know that she will be condemned by Him whom she mocks.
      Of this promise of hers let her draw up a document
      in the name of the Saints whose relics are there
      and of the Abbess who is present.
      Let her write this document with her own hand;
      or if she is illiterate, let another write it at her request,
      and let the novice put her mark to it.
      Then let her place it with her own hand upon the altar;
      and when she has placed it there,
      let the novice at once intone this verse:
      "Receive me, O Lord, according to Your word, and I shall live:
      and let me not be confounded in my hope" (Ps. 118[119]:116).
      Let the whole community answer this verse three times
      and add the "Glory be to the Father."
      Then let the novice prostrate herself at each one's feet,
      that they may pray for her.
      And from that day forward
      let her be counted as one of the community.

      If she has any property,
      let her either give it beforehand to the poor
      or by solemn donation bestow it on the monastery,
      reserving nothing at all for herself,
      as indeed she knows that from that day forward
      she will no longer have power even over her own body.
      At once, therefore, in the oratory,
      let her be divested of her own clothes which she is wearing
      and dressed in the clothes of the monastery.
      But let the clothes of which she was divested
      be put aside in the wardrobe and kept there.
      Then if she should ever listen to the persuasions of the devil
      and decide to leave the monastery (which God forbid),
      she may be divested of the monastic clothes and cast out.
      Her document, however,
      which the Abbess has taken from the altar,
      shall not be returned to her, but shall be kept in the monastery.

      REFLECTION

      The Church approves religious rules. This is the basis for asserting
      that our Holy Rule is inspired by the Holy Spirit, because the Church
      gave its seal of approval. The Church, however, is indubitably older
      and often wiser (is SOME respects, but by no means ALL!) than
      monastic life. It predates every form of optional religious
      commitment. It is the blessing of the Church which makes official
      monastic life possible for any and all of us.

      This is just a prelude to saying that the wisdom of the Church long
      ago stopped people from making solemn vows, a life-long commitment
      difficult to break, right out of novitiate. Not only does this longer
      program protect people, to a certain extent, from making a mistake,
      it also spares the monastery from having a lot of undesirables with
      chapter votes running the show. There are many, many I have known who
      left in simple vows that I remain eternally grateful for the fact
      that they were never chapter members!! What a zoo that would have
      been!

      A year may well have been enough in St. Benedict's time. People had
      vastly shorter life spans, it was a bigger chunk of their lives. They
      also had to grow up more quickly and their options were fewer by far
      than those of our own day.

      Oblates, therefore, can garner a few kernels of truth in this chapter
      about commitment, that bugbear of the baby boomer generation and
      beyond. Modern people find it terribly hard to commit, some never
      manage it at all. As such, a bit of wisdom older than our own age may
      be very useful in our everyday lives.

      Whether it's a marriage or engagement or a job or a volunteer
      chairperson position, don't jump at things. Read the Rule, so to
      speak, three times at least! Look, look, look as mindfully as you can
      at the truth and reality of the situation.

      I have a friend who has suffered terribly in relationships which he
      ALWAYS insists are just wonderful and worth the effort, any effort,
      no matter who can see otherwise. He clings to this denial until they
      dump him and I DO mean clings. His head is eternally (I have never
      known another this bad,) in the sand, invincibly trapped in ignorant
      denial. Kindly recall what part of one's anatomy is bared to the
      world at large when one's head is in the sand... Small wonder that
      his friends and I can tell otherwise.

      Benedictines are not people afraid of commitment, but we live in a
      world where many are. Our witness here must be care and balance. We
      must resolutely walk BETWEEN the extremes of foolhardy haste and
      crippling fear. In the world of today, that is no small witness and
      no easy task. Pull this one off, and you have a done a service to
      many, not just to yourself!

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 11, 2006
          +PAX

          Prayers for all our Mexican brothers and sisters, on the feast of Our Lady
          of Guadalupe, their patroness. May she bless all the Americas with her
          intercession.

          Prayers for Bishop-elect Robert Hennessy, one of the finest priests I have
          ever known, being consecrated an auxiliary bishop of Boston today, and for all
          of his episcopal ministry. May he always be a ready and useful instrument of
          God's will for all he serves.

          Prayers for Tom L., on his birthday, many years and graces and blessings: ad
          multos annos!!!

          Prayers for Dave and his wife on their 25th wedding anniversary, may they be
          ever more filled with God's grace in that Sacrament. Prayers for a change of
          heart for two of their kids, 20 and 21, a son and a daughter. Such a trying
          time and age, may they let God in fully!

          Prayers and thanks and Deo gratias for Rolland, 76, who has recovered from
          flu-related dehydration and is in great, positive spirits. Prayers for his
          daughter, Cynthia, who is so grateful to all and prayers for all suffering with
          flu this winter. Especially in the elderly, it can be such a devastating
          illness. Prayers for Tom, just lost his job, three kids, the youngest only a few
          months old. Lord help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

[...]

          left in simple vows for whose exit I remain eternally grateful! Thanks be to
          God
          that they were never chapter members with votes. What a zoo that would have

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 11, 2016

            +PAX

            A blessed feast of Our lady of Guadalupe to all. May she intercede for us all!

            Prayers for our Sr. Maria, on her feastday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos!

            Prayers for Lida’s elderly Mom, who fell and broke her hip.

            Prayers for Rod and Dan, both in a 12 step program and struggling.

            Prayers that the Town meeting approves our having own cemetery.

[...]

            because the Church gave its seal of approval and because canonized

            saints have lived under our Holy Rule. The Church, however,
            is indubitably older and often wiser than monastic life. It predates every

            http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 11, 2017

              +PAX

              Feastday prayers for our Sister Maria, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos! Prayers that Our Lady of Guadalupe may intercede for Sister and for us all!

              Continued prayers for Robert, mental health crisis, he will soon be transferred to long term care.

              Prayers for the safety of Mount Calvary Monastery, threatened by the wildfire in California. They are near the evacuation line. Prayers for all in danger from the fire. Also, Deo gratias for Matilde, who has been able to leave the evacuation shelter and return to her home.

              Prayers that the Holy Spirit guides Maan, who is having her exams next week.

              Prayers for Sue, suffering severe depression and badly needing to get some sleep.

              Prayers for Stephen’s job application is protected by the will of God, that he gets the job he wants if God wills.

              Prayers for V., homeless and severe alcoholism, along with mental health and other issues, some occult problems in the past and problems with chastity. Badly needs to consent to rehab. Prayers for her family, too, especially her mother.

              Prayers for D., lost his faith, problems with chastity and also has other issues. Prayers that he returns to the Church and the Sacraments. Prayers for his family, too, especially his mom.

              Prayers for KJV, lost ID’s and desperately needs their return. Many prayers, especially to St. Anthony. Prayers for KJV’s heart, too, to love as Jesus taught us.

[...]

              believing that the Holy Rule is inspired by the Holy Spirit,