Holy Rule for Dec. 7

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2004
      +PAX

      Pearl Harbor's attack, 63 years ago today, was not topped until 9/11. Now both stand out in the national US consciousness. Let us all remember, however, that every other day of carnage, some of them greater, like Hiroshima and Nagasaki, is etched in someone's heart. For all who have died as a result of nation against nation, for all the innocents and not so innocents, let us heartily pray, and let us also pray that human beings will someday find better ways of solving their problems.

      Prayers, too for Sr. Maryam, her Dad, who is having a pacemaker inserted, and for his wife and all his family, prayers for Mike K., serious auto accident and some brain injuries, and for all his family. Prayers for Sr. Gertrude, OSB, of Tickfaw, LA, who has died. Deo gratias! Mike, for whom I sought a priest, was anointed yesterday. May God hold him in His grace and grant him a happy death. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia. Thanks so much. JL

      April 7, August 7, December 7
      Chapter 55: On the Clothes and Shoes of the Brethren

      Let clothing be given to the brethren
      according to the nature of the place in which they dwell
      and its climate;
      for in cold regions more will be needed,
      and in warm regions less.
      This is to be taken into consideration, therefore, by the Abbot.

      We believe, however, that in ordinary places
      the following dress is sufficient for each monk:
      a tunic,
      a cowl (thick and woolly for winter, thin or worn for summer),
      a scapular for work,
      stockings and shoes to cover the feet.

      The monks should not complain
      about the color or the coarseness of any of these things,
      but be content with what can be found
      in the district where they live and
      can be purchased cheaply.

      The Abbot shall see to the size of the garments,
      that they be not too short for those who wear them,
      but of the proper fit.

      Let those who receive new clothes
      always give back the old ones at once,
      to be put away in the wardrobe for the poor.
      For it is sufficient if a monk has two tunics and two cowls,
      to allow for night wear and for the washing of these garments;
      more than that is superfluity and should be taken away.
      Let them return their stockings also and anything else that is old
      when they receive new ones.

      Those who are sent on a journey
      shall receive drawers from the wardrobe,
      which they shall wash and restore on their return.
      And let their cowls and tunics be somewhat better
      than what they usually wear.
      These they shall receive from the wardrobe
      when they set out on a journey,
      and restore when they return.

      REFLECTION

      Well, I could write another love song to the habit, and I surely do
      love it, but there is an issue here for all who are outside the
      cloister, yet still with the monastic struggle. Clothes do not make
      the monastic, but they do set up some very potent markers, for good
      or ill. The Benedictine job is to find the golden mean, avoiding
      extremes.

      One's clothing sends a message, fair or not. The message it sends may
      very well advance or inhibit any subsequent messages one my try to
      send. Sometimes lay people who are intensely religious will go
      overboard in what can only be called eccentricity in dress. Bad move!
      Right or wrong, our society writes them off at first glance. The odds
      of being a witness who is heard are diminished. We should want our
      appearance to suggest that Jesus Christ is WORTH turning to, not that
      we are simply fools with no fashion sense.

      Simple, decent, clean, middle-of-the-road clothing is a goal
      virtually any Oblate can attain. Not too flashy and costly, but
      neither so tacky or beyond the fringe that it invokes scorn. The
      cheaper the better, but not just for stinge!

      The clothing industry in the West rides roughshod on the backs of a
      LOT of oppressed people in the less developed countries. Buying your
      good clothes used may not stop those awful practices, but it will at
      least stop your direct complicity in them. Buy a used $45 shirt at a
      Salvation Army Thrift Store and your $5 or less will actually go
      towards helping someone in need, not just perpetuating that need.
      Think how you look, but think very carefully of where your money goes.

      A further little fussy word here. Think twice about wearing labels
      that show OUTSIDE. I speak as one who used to love buying used shirts
      with Ralph Lauren's polo player emblazoned on the breast. Sigh...
      Conspicuous consumption depends on visible labels like that, and you
      could be adding to a fire you'd rather extinguish. As a monk, I
      became embarrassed to wear such things. It sent the wrong message
      entirely.

      Lastly, almost everyone I know could make do with less clothes. We
      pack a lot of consumerist variety into those closets of ours and that
      sends a message, too. Always remember that the extra coat in our
      chest "belongs to the poor," as St. Basil said.

      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2005
        +PAX

        Prayers, please for Father Ambrose of Pluscarden, on his feast day. For some years now he has given outstanding service to Kristo Buase, our Congregation's monastery in Ghana that is helped by three UK houses. Prayers, too, for all our Ambroses out there! Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        we are simply eccentric fools with no fashion sense.

        Simple, decent, clean, middle-of-the-road clothing is a goal
        virtually any Oblate can attain. Not too flashy and costly, but
        neither so tacky or beyond the fringe that it invokes scorn. The
        cheaper the better, but not just for stinge!

        The clothing industry in the West rides roughshod on the backs of a
        LOT of oppressed people in the less developed countries. Buying your
        good clothes used may not stop those awful practices, but it will at
        least stop your direct complicity in them. Buy a used $45 shirt at a
        Salvation Army Thrift Store and your $5 or less will actually go
        towards helping someone in need, not just perpetuating that need.
        Think how you look, but think very carefully of where your money goes.

        A further little fussy word here. Think twice about wearing labels
        that show OUTSIDE. I speak as one who once loved buying used shirts
        with some pricey brand's logo emblazoned on the breast. Sigh...

        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers for Fr. Ambrose of Pluscarden, on his feastday, and for all those living at our motherhouse in Rome, which is dedicated to St. Ambrose (and built over his paternal home.)

          Prayers, please for Steve's financial situation.

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Evelyn, 97, riddled with cancer and dying, she has apparently no significant religious affilation, so, for those inclined, lots of Divine Mercy chaplets here. God can make all things right at the very last instant.

          Deo gratias for Ann Marie: her class went very well.

          Elaine, suspcious lump, needle biopsy next and possible mastectomy, for God's perfect will for her.

          Afifa, just diagnosed with lymphoma, a very hard life for years and now her daughter, Dina, and family are worried for her. Prayers for them all!

          Charlene and Murray and their sons, Landen and Holden, Landen is autistic and they may have to move to get better services for him, but prayers for God's perfect will for them all, and for their niece, who may move with them. May all arrive where God wants them.

          Lord, help us all as You now and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          very well advance or inhibit any subsequent messages one may try to
          send. Sometimes lay people who are intensely religious will go
          overboard in what can only be called eccentricity in dress. Bad move!
          Right or wrong, our society writes them off at first glance. The odds
          of being a witness who is heard are diminished. We should want our
          appearance to suggest that Jesus Christ is WORTH turning to, not that
          we are simply eccentrics with no fashion sense.

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2016

              +PAX

              On this 75th anniversary of the Pearl harbor attack, prayers for the eternal rest of all who died, for all their families and for all who mourn them, prayers for all the veterans who survived, too, many with lifelong after effects and disabilities.

              Prayers for Fr. Ambrose, on his feastday, graces galore and many more, ad multos annos.

              Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, the biopsy report from my colonoscopy was benign. Thanks so much to all who prayed!

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Joe P., on the anniversary of his death, and for his wife, Martha, daughter Cecilia and her siblings and all his family and all who mourn him.

              Prayers that Kamilla can find a lawyer.

              Please pray for the eternal repose of Lucía, who took her own life. Prayers, too, for her family and all who mourn her.

              Please pray a woman who is going to have surgery on Wednesday, she suffers breast cancer, pray that everything goes well.

              Special prayer request for Ana and Erick, that they can solve their differences and God fill their hearts.

              Please pray for Juan José and Regina, that they can love each other with a pure and strong love.

              And please pray for Robert, for his continuous conversion.

[...]

              St. Vincent de Paul thrift store and your $5 or so will actually go
              towards helping someone in need, not just perpetuating that need.
              Think how you look, but think very carefully of where your money
              goes. [N.B.: I used to recommend Salvation Army stores, but it

              has come to my attention that they support abortion in some cases.

              Pro-life concerns make me no longer wish to support the Salvation Army.

              You can Google "Salvation Army Abortion" for more info. I was

              sad to learn that, because I shopped there for many years and used to

              give to their Christmas bell-ringers.]