Holy Rule for Dec. 6

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2004
      +PAX

      A blessed Feast of St. Nicholas to all!
      Prayers, please, for Jan, that she get the meds she needs quickly and for Elaine, very critically ill in ICU after an infected leg was amputated, and for her spiritual healing, too, as well as her family and friends. Prayers, too, for Tom and Dave, mourning the death of their dog, Travis. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much! -JL

      April 6, August 6, December 6
      Chapter 54: Whether a Monastic Should Receive Letters or Anything Else

      On no account shall a monastic be allowed
      to receive letters, blessed tokens or any little gift whatsoever
      from parents or anyone else,
      or from her sisters,
      or to give the same,
      without the Abbess's permission.
      But if anything is sent her even by her parents,
      let her not presume to take it
      before it has been shown to the Abbess.
      And it shall be in the Abbess's power to decide
      to whom it shall be given,
      if she allows it to be received;
      and the sister to whom it was sent should not be grieved,
      lest occasion be given to the devil.

      Should anyone presume to act otherwise,
      let her undergo the discipline of the Rule.

      REFLECTION

      Part of this is about equality, part of it is about depending on
      one's community for everything. But there is another part that is
      more readily available to monastics and Oblates in the world, a
      certain cloister of the heart, a partial flight from the secular.

      Outside news, to which we all can become so easily addicted, is not
      always useful, let alone nourishing. When I was a pastoral associate
      in Boston, I was the slave of the weather channel: knew the five day
      forecast ALL the time. Then I moved here- no cable anywhere- and
      pretty much let God surprise me each morning with whatever was
      available. Granted, traveling on foot and by subway to do a lot of
      ministry in Boston, I did have a greater need to know, but not THAT
      great!

      We get a Sunday paper (the NY Times,) once a week and that is it. If
      something really big happens between Sundays, the regulars who come
      to Mass will tell us. That's how we found out about Princess Diana.
      Our contractor told us about 9/11. We were in Mass, praying for the
      world anyway, with no clue that the towers were literally falling as
      we prayed, that the Pentagon was on fire and thousands were dead.

      It really didn't matter, in one sense, whether we knew or not: we
      were already praying. Our prayers did not need details to be
      effective. The heart of God was already breaking, already knew, HAD
      already known from all time and beyond. We were just begging Him to
      look at His people while not knowing which ones needed it most. That
      made no difference. We ALWAYS know less than Him. It is the usual
      human condition!

      You may be sure we all watched Diana's funeral, and you may be sure
      we all watched the 9/11 news. We're not dinosaurs and we cared
      deeply. However, having lived on both sides now (what a song cue for
      Judy Collins!) of the media divide, I can assure you that a whole lot
      of extraneous stuff got mixed in with a very little bit of worthwhile
      data.

      There is much that is false, truly false and illusory in the
      world. We all know that quite well. What we can miss is that media's
      job is to make a lot of things much, much more real and pressing than
      they are or will ever be. That sort of illusion we can easily do
      without.

      This is in no way obscurantist or anti-intellectual, but a part of
      the monastic heart actually LIKES to be out of touch in some areas
      and profits from same. No one has to live in a cave, but I, as I
      imagine most of us without any dream of large stock holdings, would
      have managed quite well without knowing about every corporate scandal
      in excruciating detail. In a country where it only recently became illegal to take the
      life of a late-term abortion baby born fully alive, (a law already challenged in court,)
      I'll do fine without a daily (and I do mean daily,) vital signs watch on a whale
      that beached itself, quite possibly with excellent reasons known to
      the whale alone, on Cape Cod. There's a lot of stuff we DON'T need to
      know, and in not knowing some of it there lies a great peace!

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 6, 2005
        +PAX

        A blessed feast of St. Nicholas to all. May his intercession clean up the mess of secularized Christmas, so much of which is wrongly laid at his feet as being the source of Santa Claus. A trick of language, but poor St. Nicholas is NOT to blame for the lunacy that currently obtains, to the more or less complete exclusion of God. Not at all what our saint would have wanted! Special prayers for the mission of St. Nicholas, formerly of Bobtown, PA, which I was privileged to serve for two summers.

        Prayers for my dear friend, Father Jude Krogol, OSB, of St. Leo Abbey, who died last night at about 10pm. Please, those of you so inclined, say a Divine Mercy Chaplet for his happy death. Prayers, too, for his eternal rest with God.

        Prayers for Jim, whose Mom has died at 103, for her happy death and eternal rest and for all her family. Also for the happy death and eternal rest of Bob, for his wife Edith and all their family. Prayers for Lou, who broke his hip, and for Dottie, his wife, beginning stages of Alzheimer's. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers for the repose of my dear friend, Father Jude Krogol, OSB,
          of St. Leo
          Abbey, on the anniversary of his death. Please, those of you so
          inclined, say a Divine Mercy Chaplet for his happy death. Prayers,
          too, for his eternal rest with God.
          Prayers for John, needs work in two weeks, also for Colleen, faith and peace.

          Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following and for all their loved ones and those who take care of them:

          Frances, major surgery to remove a fibroid today.

          Brittany, struggling with a broken relationship.

          Elaine, ultrasounds and results not back yet.

          Paul and his family, celebrating the wedding of their youngest.

          The soul of Mary who lost a long battle with cancer and her family.
          Bernice who has finished her radiation therapy.

          Jim who is in his 80s and is having health problems.

          Another Jim who is undergoing oral surgery tomorrow.

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2016

            +PAX

            Prayers, please, for the eternal rest Fr. Jude, OSB, on the anniversary of his death, and for all who mourn him.

            Prayers for B., a friend of Nick’s, who was very severely shocked at hearing about Nick’s suicide. Continued prayers for the eternal rest of Nick a               nd for all who mourn him.

            Lord, help us all as You know and
[...]

            one's community for everything. But there is another part about letters that is
            more readily available to monastics and Oblates in the world, a
            certain cloister of the heart, a partial flight from the secular.

            These days, outside news doesn't just come in letters.
            Media news, to which we all can become so easily addicted, is not
            always useful, let alone nourishing. The monks don't have cable TV here.
            We used to get the NY Times every week, but stopped a while back. If
            something really big happens, the regulars who come
            to Mass will tell us, or we may find out on-line.

            .It really doesn't matter, in one sense, whether we know or not: we
            are already praying. Our prayers do not need details to be
            effective. The heart of God already knows, has
            already known from all time and beyond. We're just begging Him to
            look at His people while not always knowing which ones need it most. That
            makes no difference. We ALWAYS know less than Him. It is the usual
            human condition! We do get some news and we do pray for things in the news.

            There is, however, much that is false, truly false and illusory in the
            world. We all know that quite well. What we can miss is that media's
            aim is often to make a lot of things much, much more real and pressing than
            they are or will ever be. That sort of illusion we can easily do
            without.

            This is in no way obscurantist or anti-intellectual, but a part of
            the monastic heart actually LIKES to be out of touch in some areas
            and profits from same. I have managed quite well without knowing about every
            excruciating detail. There's a lot of stuff we DON'T need to
            know, and in not knowing some of it there lies a great peace.

            Use the news you do get as a source of prayer intentions for those affected.