Holy Rule for Dec. 3

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for the grace of God to work in and through all at a Chicago prayer breakfast this morning. Also, belated prayers for Natalie on her birthday. God is outside of time, so He'll adjust them accordingly! Prayers for Richard and Mary Lou and all their family, burying Mary Lou's Mom today. Prayers, too, for me, that I can find the right priest in another state to visit a dying alcoholic. I don't want to get in the way of God's will on this one. God's will IS best, All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      April 3, August 3, December 3

      Chapter 52: On the Oratory of the Monastery

      Let the oratory be what it is called, a place of prayer;
      and let nothing else be done there or kept there.
      When the Work of God is ended,
      let all go out in perfect silence,
      and let reverence for God be observed,
      so that any sister who may wish to pray privately
      will not be hindered by another's misconduct.
      And at other times also,
      if anyone should want to pray by herself,
      let her go in simply and pray,
      not in a loud voice but with tears and fervor of heart.
      She who does not say her prayers in this way, therefore,
      shall not be permitted to remain in the oratory
      when the Work of God is ended,
      lest another be hindered, as we have said.

      REFLECTION

      "...let nothing else be done there or kept there." Don't think for a
      moment this refers to only furniture, storage or other activities. It
      refers to our hearts, too. We must be terribly careful of what we
      take into the oratory, what we carry in our hearts, because it not
      only colors our prayer, but often the prayer of those around us as
      well.

      Even half-aware people who live together for years can spot
      trouble immediately. They may not know what is wrong, but they are
      themselves disquieted by it. Often one never finds out what is
      troubling another, so one just prays for them. But the empathy, the
      sympathy that moves one to do so by observation has colored the
      oratory experience ever so slightly from one of untrammeled peace.

      Sometimes we honestly cannot help what we carry in our hearts. I know
      that all too well. There have been times when I could scarcely calm
      the cacophonic roar of anxiety and hurt. For me, as I am sure for some
      others, too, it is all but impossible to pray at such times, through
      no fault of our own.

      I resolve to be a bit more careful to try to empty my heart whenever
      I can, but I sometimes cannot. Nothing seems clear or right. So I
      just say: "Look, maybe what I am offering You really is nothing at
      all, maybe I shouldn't even dare. If it is nothing, please forgive
      me. If it's not, please take it for whatever it is worth." Sometimes
      that's the best we can do.

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2005
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for Christopher, pneumonia and away at college where his worried Mom, Nikki, can't care for him, for his safe and speedy recovery, as final exams are next week. Also for his Mom and all his family, as well as friends at college who might help! For an elderly grandmother, leukemia and other medical issues, hospitalized, and for all her children and family. For the happy death and eternal rest of Maedy, fro Kim, her granddaughter and for all her family. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        no fault of our own. So long as we do not will such distraction, our prayer
        remains intact. Involuntary distractions are crosses to be borne with
        patience, not sins we should become despondent about. Despondency
        is a far greater enemy of the spiritual life than distracted prayer!

        Do your best to stay focused, if you cannot, offer that to God, too, and
        rejoice that you have been humbled by it. Depressives and others
        with certain mental illnesses should recall that inability to concentrate
        is often part of the disease, not our fault at all. If a cut bleeds, do we
        feel guilty? Of course not. Many of us who suffer from such things are
        already far too prone to beat ourselves up. Don't let distractions at prayer
        that you didn't want and couldn't help be a reason for that.

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2007
          +PAX

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of retired Abbot Philip Berning, OSB, of St. Gregory's Abbey,
          Shawnee, Oklahoma. Elected in 1952, he was doubtless the senior Abbot in the US, maybe the world, for all I can say. There are not many Abbots left from those days! Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 2, 2016

            +PAX

            Continued prayers for the health of Br. Meinrad of Pluscarden, he is very ill.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Sr. Claire Marie Agano, killed in an apparent robbery in the Congo, and for her family, Community and all who mourn her.

            Prayers for Igor Distal, 41, missing since Sunday in British Columbia, may he be found safe.

            Prayers for the Benedictine monks of Norcia, Italy, on the 16th anniversary of the fir founding. Prayers as they rebuild from heavy losses in the recent earthquake.

            Prayers for Charles on his birthday, graces galore and many more, as multos annos!

            Urgent prayer request for a young woman who took a bottle of sleeping pills last night and is in serious condition. She is very troubled, and her mother is devastated.

            Prayers for safe travels for Brittany and Orest, going to the US.  Prayers for safe flights and all travel they will be doing.

            Please add Nancy to your prayers. She had to lay off several employees due to lack of work. She is stressed and needs the Lord to help with new contracts in a tight market.

[...]

            People who live together for years can sometimes spot
            another's trouble. They may not know what is wrong, but they are
            themselves disquieted by it. Often one never finds out what is
            troubling another, so one just prays for them. But the empathy, the
            sympathy that moves one to do so is rooted in love

            for one another.