Holy Rule for Dec. 2

    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2004
      +PAX

      Deo gratias!! Todd and Cathy, for whom we prayed some months ago because Cathy had an ovarian cyst during pregnancy have had a healthy, perfect little girl. Now prayers for successful treatment for Cathy the Mom! Prayers, too, for Elaine, 81, whom we had on list when she broke her hip in Sept. Now her sons face the difficult task of convincing her that she needs to go into assisted living on discharge from rehab, a tough job for all concerned. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      April 2, August 2, December 2

      Chapter 51: On Brethren Who Go Not Very Far Away

      A Brother who is sent out on some business
      and is expected to return to the monastery that same day
      shall not presume to eat while he is out,
      even if he is urgently requested to do so
      by any person whomsoever,
      unless he has permission from his Abbot.
      And if he acts otherwise, let him be excommunicated.

      REFLECTION

      Some of us may recall childhood playmates who were not allowed to eat
      at our homes or anywhere else, just at their own home. I know I do.
      Our family considered her family a bit strange, a bit over the top in
      caution, but one thing was very clear. They were a VERY close-knit
      family. OK, I have known lots of close-knit families that were not
      weird, but let's look at the positive side here.

      That girl's family had a high level of what sociologists term
      liminality. The term is used often to describe Hasidic Jews and the
      Old Order Amish. It is the degree of difference from the rest of the
      world that is undertaken voluntarily and its effect is to heighten
      the connectedness of the group in question, to strengthen bonds.

      Even though he could not have named it that, maybe liminality is
      something of what St. Benedict is aiming at in this chapter. Surely
      we ARE meant to be communal, to be cenobitic families that are very
      closely bonded to one another. Surely a meal is one way of both
      stressing that bond and limiting outside competitive ones. There is
      also the problem- greater in St. Benedict's day than in our own- of
      the monastic dining on heaven knows what that was forbidden.

      These days, far less is forbidden to us dietarily as monastics, but
      there are still dangers of monastics being wined and dined and
      getting far too accustomed to "only-the-best-for-me-thanks!" We are
      certainly allowed to eat out, but I think that it is significant that, in my
      monastery, we are ordinarily forbidden to eat in expensive places or
      in people's homes without permission.

      That's just our custom here. In many ways, it is very good, too.
      Remember that we usually go out in our habits. I sure don't mind
      being seen in Taco Bell or some family restaurant in my habit, but I
      would be woefully embarrassed and ashamed to be seen so attired in
      the most expensive restaurant in Boston. What kind of a statement
      would that make?

      Our homes are domestic churches, they are temples. However humble,
      they are the banquet halls of a great King.That's what we are called to remember
      in this chapter. Our homes are sacred, whether Oblate or Abbot Primate,
      we live in the houses of God. To His dwelling place, others must never be
      preferred. Ask me where I'd like to eat my last meal and the answer would be
      right here at home, even if our most culinarily-challenged monk were cooking
      that day. (Names have been omitted to protect the guilty, but some
      reading this will be able to fill in the blanks!!)

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2005
        +PAX

        Prayers, please for Ruth, who has died, for her happy death and eternal rest and for her husband and son and all her family and friends. Prayers, too, for the happy death and eternal rest of Mary, for her sister, Nancy, and all her family and those who mourn her. A member of another prayer list, Mary was very faithful in praying for others, may she be well-remembered in prayer herself. Prayers for Maximilien, important meeting regarding his brother, Marcus, and his continuing health care, for the Holy Spirit and God's will. Prayers for Adrian and Lynette that, if God's will, they may reconcile. Prayers for Tom, a happy Oblate novice, as he continues his journey deeper into the Liturgy of the Hours. Prayers for Lillian, bipolar and off her meds, separated from her husband and children and out of touch with her worried parents, prayer for all this family, please. Prayers for a spiritual director in training who feels unworthy- an excellent trait for such a one to have, and a good sign that the training is going well.

        Glen, for whom we prayed, seems to have taken his girlfriend's manipulative threats of suicide as a wake up call from God. Deo gratias! Prayers, continuing, please, for him, his grateful parents and the young woman.

        AIDS still claims thousands of victims every day in China, Africa, and the world's poorest nations. Prayers, please, for their happy deaths and for adequate health care for those who can still be helped. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        Having said that we all dwell in domestic temples, banquet halls of the Greatest
        King, let us also take care to invite others to share that tremendous grace. The
        simplest meal in such a setting, provided the host sees it for the splendor of God's
        presence that it truly is, is a rich blessing for the guests, indeed. And we are, after
        all Benedictines: hospitality is one of our trademarks!

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 1, 2007
          +PAX

          For all those who joined us for a very successful Advent reflection here at St. Mary's, and for all their families and loved ones.

          For Robert and his family, for their final perseverance in the Faith. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 1, 2016

            +PAX

            Prayers for the eternal rest of Richard, and for all his family, especially his daughter, Cathy, and for all who mourn him.

            Prayers for Deacon Bill and his wife, Terry and his elderly Mom and Terry’s elderly Dad. Both their parents are in different nursing homes and have problems with aging, Prayers for grace and strength for all.

            Prayers for a young couple hoping to adopt their foster child, many obstacles need to be overcome before the baby can be adopted. Prayers for God’s will.

            Prayers for John, starting treatment for dental implants tomorrow with jaw examination and CT scan to follow on Tuesday prior to surgery.

            Prayers for Lisa, caring for her Mom, Kathy, 86, and there are many problems and stresses. Lisa is depressed. Prayers for all concerned.

            Prayers for Kerrie’s Mom, for her health.

            Prayers for Nick, for his conversion.

            Prayers for E., goes to Communion, but has not been to Confession in many years. Ardent prayers.

            Lord, help
            us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

            Chapter 51: On Brethren Who Go Not Very Far Away

            A Brother who is sent out on some business
            and is expected to return to the monastery that same day
            shall not presume to eat while he is out,
            even if he is urgently requested to do so
            by any person whomsoever,
            unless he has permission from his Abbot.
            And if he acts otherwise, let him be excommunicated.

            REFLECTION

            Some of us may recall childhood playmates who were not allowed to eat
            at our homes or anywhere else, just at their own home. I know I do.
            She came from a VERY close-knit Seventh Day Adventist family.

            That girl's family had a high level of what sociologists term
            liminality. The term is used often to describe Hasidic Jews and the
            Old Order Amish. It is the degree of difference from the rest of the
            world that is undertaken voluntarily and its effect is to heighten
            the connectedness of the group in question, to strengthen bonds.

            Even though he did not name it that, maybe liminality is