Holy Rule for Nov. 17

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 17, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Amanda and Jessie, that God give them the jobs He wills for them, and for their Mom, who asked. Prayers, too, for Paul, that God would continue to bless his recovery with strength and serenity. Ad multos annos!! For Enid and Ade, that they reconcile as a couple, that God grant them strength to overcome the obstacles, and for Eliza, a 2 year old with a brain cyst. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      March 18, July 18, November 17
      Chapter 39: On the Measure of Food

      We think it sufficient for the daily dinner,
      whether at the sixth or the ninth hour,
      that every table have two cooked dishes
      on account of individual infirmities,
      so that he who for some reason cannot eat of the one
      may make his meal of the other
      Therefore let two cooked dishes suffice for all the brethren;
      and if any fruit or fresh vegetables are available,
      let a third dish be added.

      Let a good pound weight of bread suffice for the day,
      whether there be only one meal or both dinner and supper.
      If they are to have supper,
      the cellarer shall reserve a third of that pound,
      to be given them at supper.

      But if it happens that the work was heavier,
      it shall lie within the Abbot's discretion and power,
      should it be expedient,
      to add something to the fare.
      Above all things, however,
      over-indulgence must be avoided
      and a monk must never be overtaken by indigestion;
      for there is nothing so opposed to the Christian character
      as over-indulgence
      according to Our Lord's words,
      "See to it that your hearts be not burdened
      with over-indulgence" (Luke 21:34).

      Young boys
      shall not receive the same amount of food as their elders,
      but less;
      and frugality shall be observed in all circumstances.

      Except the sick who are very weak,
      let all abstain entirely
      from eating the flesh of four-footed animals.

      REFLECTION

      I beg the forgiveness of those living outside those U.S. who receive
      this for dwelling on the dietary habits of my own country, but I
      think there is a message for all of us, to one degree or another
      therein. If nothing else, Americans can often serve as a very good
      negative example to those of other lands and cultures, sadly, in more
      than just food!

      Obesity and consumerism can go hand in hand, because they are
      different expressions of the same lie: you CAN get enough and it WILL
      make you happy. Things will fulfill you. Food is a thing. Whoops!
      Small wonder than a nation like my own that tops the charts in
      consumption is also right up there in terms of a populace being
      overweight.

      In the U.S. our attitudes to food are so badly skewed by consumerist
      culture that we are truly very spoiled. What most people would see as
      the simple addition of moderation to the menu we might view as a
      terrible fast of deprivation. We are the people who chant that "Too
      much is plenty." Well, it isn't. Too much of anything, food, or stuff
      or sex or free will is bad for one: that is the Benedictine message
      of moderation.

      Let me give my American comrades one or two simple suggestions. If
      you live in another land and have already been doing these things,
      indulge me, it is good advice for anyone. The bulk of the 1,300 or so
      people receiving this live in the States. For starters, try only water with meals.
      What?!? Unthinkable! I need a Coke! Hey, water hydrates you (hence the term!)
      better than anything else and it certainly cuts your caloric intake.
      Most of us do NOT drink enough water. Start trying.

      What about fat and cholesterol and fiber? I know, I know... Hey, look
      at how we can be all over the place to recycle and save the planet
      while cavalierly damaging our bodies, the ecosystems which are, after
      all, closest to us! What about one or two meatless days a week or
      just less red meat? Think twice and try to change.

      Try, really try to do more of what is better for you. Face it, no
      matter what else is important, your care of yourself is likely to be
      at least as closely monitored by God as your concern over wetlands or
      whales, if not more so... I often think that many of the noble
      efforts in the direction of non-human, even non-animal life are
      displacement activities, at least partially in compensation for the
      dreadful job we do with our own bodies and with other human life.

      Look, change is hard. Why do you think so many people find the Holy
      Rule harsh or mean? It is not; it is moderate and gentle and
      considerate of individual needs, even in this chapter. People find it
      mean because change is hard, and the Rule DOES insist on change.

      The Rule mandates change because St. Benedict knew it was necessary
      if we are to make progress on the road to God we have chosen.
      However, please remember that even change must be moderate and
      gradual. Going overboard all at once is likely a doomed attempt.

      Try to start eating nothing but fat-free sawdust tomorrow and you are
      quite likely to be discouraged, overwhelmed and fall out of the
      fight. That, alas, is just what Satan wants. Discouragement is
      usually his strongest weapon! Baby steps, beloveds, baby steps!

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 17, 2005
        +PAX

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Tom's Dad, for Tom and all his family and all who mourn his Dad. Prayers for newborn Caitlin, for a life filled with God's will, and for Francesca, that she do well getting along with a new baby sister.
        Prayers for Patrick, melanoma, for his Mom, Diana, and all his family. The treatment he must have for a year has a side effect of great depression in some patients, so ardent prayers, please! Prayers for Ian and Alex. She is in her first trimester with twins and heartbeats are no longer being heard. Surgery of some sort is pending. Prayers, too, for Diana, Alex's Mom. Howard, for whom we prayed, had his cancerous kidney removed, so continued prayers. However, it seemed contained within the kidney and no chemo or radiation is planned at this time, so Deo gratias on that count! Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        different expressions of the same lie: you CAN get filled and it WILL
        make you happy. Things will fulfill you. Food is a thing. Whoops!
        Small wonder than a nation like my own that tops the charts in
        consumption is also right up there in terms of a populace being
        overweight.

        In the U.S. our attitudes to food are so badly skewed by consumerist
        culture that we are truly very spoiled. What most people would see as
        the simple addition of moderation to the menu we might view as a
        terrible fast of deprivation. We are the people who chant that "Too
        much is plenty." Well, it isn't. Too much of anything, food, or stuff
        or sex or free will is bad for one: that is the Benedictine message
        of moderation.

        Let me give my American comrades one or two simple suggestions. If
        you live in another land and have already been doing these things,
        indulge me, it is good advice for anyone. The bulk of the 1,500 or so
        people receiving this live in the States.

        For starters, try only water with meals. What?!? Unthinkable! I need a Coke!
        Hey, water hydrates you (hence the term!) better than anything else and it
        certainly cuts your caloric intake. Most of us do NOT drink enough water.
        Start trying.

        What about fat and cholesterol and fiber? I know, I know... Hey, look
        at how we can be all over the place to recycle and save the planet
        while cavalierly damaging our bodies, the ecosystems which are, after
        all, closest to us! What about one or two meatless days a week or
        just less red meat? Think twice and try to change.

        Try, really try to do more of what is better for you. Face it, no
        matter what else is important, your care of yourself is much more
        closely monitored by God as your concern over wetlands or
        whales... The commandment not to kill begins with our own bodies
        and health. I often think that many of the noble efforts in the direction
[...]

        But

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 16, 2016

          +PAX

          Please pray for the eternal repose of Millie, 82. Prayers too for Carol, her niece, all her family, and all who mourn her.

          Continued healing prayers for Joshua, body and soul.

[...]

          Being overweight and consumerism can go hand in hand, because they are
[...]

          water. Start trying. (I confess that I have abandoned this because I

          need to keep up my weight. I drink soda with permission. But I still try

          to drink more water.)

          What about fat and cholesterol and fiber? I know, I know... Hey, look
          at how we can be all over the place to recycle and save the planet
          while cavalierly damaging our bodies, the ecosystems which are, after
          all, closest to us! What about one or two meatless days a week or
          just less red meat? Think twice and try to change.

          Try, really try to do more of what is better for you. Face it, no
          matter what else is important, your care of yourself is much more
          closely monitored by God than your concern over wetlands or
          whales... The commandment not to kill begins with our own bodies
          and health. I often think that many of the noble efforts in the
          direction of non-human, even non-animal life are displacement activities, at
          least partially in compensation for the dreadful job we do with our own
          bodies and with other human life.

          The Rule mandates change because St. Benedict knew it was necessary
          if we are to make progress on the road to God we have chosen.
          However, please remember that even change must be moderate and
          gradual. Going overboard all at once is likely a doomed attempt.
          That, alas, is just what Satan wants. Discouragement is
          usually his strongest weapon! Baby steps, beloveds, baby steps!

          ._,___