Holy Rule for Nov. 11

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 11, 2004

      Prayers, this Veterans' Day, for all who have lost their lives or health in wars.

      Prayers, please, for David, facing permanent wheelchair disability after an accident 2 years ago which crushed his legs. He has a wife and son to support and there is much need for prayer for this family for spiritual, emotional, physical and financial health. Prayers, too, for Demetra, recently widowed and terribly depressed and for a little girl who died of a brain aneurysm. Her parents donated her organs to 7 different people. Prayers for them all! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      March 12, July 12, November 11
      Chapter 34: Whether All Should Receive in Equal Measure What Is
      Necessary

      Let us follow the Scripture,
      "Distribution was made to each
      according as anyone had need" (Acts 4:35).
      By this we do not mean that there should be respecting of persons
      (which God forbid),
      but consideration for infirmities.
      She who needs less should thank God and not be discontented;
      but she who needs more
      should be humbled by the thought of her infirmity
      rather than feeling important
      on account of the kindness shown her.
      Thus all the members will be at peace.

      Above all, let not the evil of murmuring appear
      for any reason whatsoever
      in the least word or sign.
      If anyone is caught at it,
      let her be placed under very severe discipline.

      REFLECTION

      One reason murmuring is so strongly proscribed here is that its
      origin in this case is likely to be from jealousy. Jealousy is a
      terrible thing in any human being, but even more treacherous when the
      people involved have to live and work together in community. Jealousy
      is a sure sign that one has not arrived. Perfect monastics simply
      don't care about such stuff! (If they did at all, it would only be to
      rejoice for the other!)

      Yet many of us- myself roundly included- can still find jealousy
      rearing its ugly head from time to time. It is part of our fallen
      human nature, it is also part of us that has not grown up yet: an
      inner child that is still screaming "Mom ALWAYS liked you best!"
      Sigh... Jealousy cannot live without ignorance or falsehood, so
      reality checks may be helpful, shaking ourselves awake to what is
      true and real, reminding ourselves what we do NOT know and cannot
      know about another's situation compared to our own.

      Did we but know the gift of God! Ah, but we most surely do NOT know
      it! If we did, we should be far, far more grateful for the different
      ways He deals with people. We should be relieved that we have not the
      gifts of others, since we have not their peculiar circumstances or
      vocations or personalities to deal with those gifts. We should also
      be able to more clearly see how richly- and utterly appropriately- we
      ourselves have been blessed. God is no wretched giver, and we are ALL
      swathed in His unfathomable mercy.

      http://www.stamrysmonastery.org

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 11, 2005

        Prayers, please, for Diane, seriously injured in a motorcycle accident. Her prognosis is good, but recovery may take years. Prayers for Roberta, eye surgery, and for Mim, cancer and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, also for Diane, who was kind enough to ask prayers for them.

        Quite some time ago, we prayed for Felicia, allegedly murdered and then her house set on fire, and for her parents. Someone charged with her murder is currently on trial and the proceedings are entering their last phase. This is very hard on her parents, Tim and Elya. May God's will, truth and justice prevail.

        Prayers for Velma, 88, and Paul, 85, and for the daughter Avery and all their family. They were in a very serious car accident, multiple fractures for both and the Velma has osteoporosis, which complicates matters considerably. Prayers for D., who has dropped out of contact with friends, possibly in an alcoholic relapse.

        Prayers for Allison, still hunting for a new home to rent and her deadline grows closer. Prayers for Catherine and Tony and for their sons, Andrew, hoping to become Catholic, his son about to be baptized, and for their other son, studying in Beijing, for a profitable time spent there. Prayers for Bryan, alcohol and drug problems, for his infant son and for his parents, who have just begun AlAnon's 12 step program. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much JL

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 10, 2006

          In the US, today is Veterans' Day, probably many other countries also
          remember the Armistice which ended World War I on this date. Let us remember in our
          prayers all those who have died in wars, and all those who served and
          survived, especially those whose lives were forever shattered, as well as the
          hearts of loved ones broken by their losses.

          Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Maria Victoria,
          death anniversary this week, and for all who mourn her. Marcella, for whom we
          prayed, has nothing showing up on her tests, so the cause of her pain is still
          unknown, remains in the hospital on antibiotics, continued prayers for her and
          her family. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All
[...]

          in monastics is a sure sign that one is in trouble. Perfect monastics
          simply don't care about such stuff! (If they did at all, it would only be to
          rejoice for the other!)

          Yet many of us- myself roundly included- can still find jealousy
          rearing its ugly head from time to time. It is part of our fallen
          human nature, it is also part of us that has not grown up yet: an
          inner child that is still screaming "Mom ALWAYS liked you best!"
          Sigh... Jealousy cannot live without ignorance or falsehood, so
          reality checks may be helpful, shaking ourselves awake to what is
          true and real, reminding ourselves what we do NOT know and cannot
          know about another's situation compared to our own.

          Did we but know the gift of God! Ah, but we most surely do NOT know
          it! If we did, we should be far, far more grateful for the different
          ways He deals with people. We should be relieved that we have not the
          gifts of others, since we have not their peculiar circumstances nor
          vocations nor personalities to deal with those gifts. We should also

          _http://www.stamrysmonastery.org_ (http://www.stamrysmonastery.org/)

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 10, 2007

            In the US, today is Veterans' Day, probably many other countries also
            remember the Armistice which ended World War I on this date. Let us remember in
            our prayers all those who have died in wars, and all those who served and
            survived, especially those whose lives were forever shattered, as well as the
            hearts of loved ones broken by their losses.

            Prayers for Fr. Martin and all our Martins, on their feastday.

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Mrs. Kars, for her husband, family and all who mourn her.

            Prayers for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following, for their families and all who care for them:

            Braxton, 13, osteonecrosis in his knee, severe movement limitations and possible joint replacement, and for his worried parents.

            Viola, for whom we prayed, has breast cancer that has moved to her throat, tracheotomy performed so she can breath and radiation to follow.

            Doug, starting radiation treatment for prostate cancer, that all go well.

            Dawn who had a 5th very extensive back surgery and is in a great deal of pain and experiencing spasms that are severe and making it hard for her to rest.

            Paula, Lupus and other medical problems that have arisen because of it. Please pray also for her to have the strength and stamina to take care of Dawn, as she is her caregiver.

            Dom Geoff, severe vertigo, possible stroke and left hand carpel tunnel sugery last week.

            Don, looking for work. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL