Jan 1

  • russophile2002 <jeromeleo@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2003

      A blessed Solemnity of the Mother of God to all who are celebrating
      that, as well as Circumcision of Our Lord and St. Basil the Great to
      those celebrating them. And to ALL Happy and blessed New Year!

      Prayers, please, for Fr. Richard Lower, a NH priest who apparently
      killed himself yesterday after an abuse allegation from 1973 was
      revealed. Please also remember his victim in prayer. JL

      January 1, May 2, September 1

      Prologue

      L I S T E N carefully, my child,
      to your master's precepts,
      and incline the ear of your heart (Prov. 4:20).
      Receive willingly and carry out effectively
      your loving father's advice,
      that by the labor of obedience
      you may return to Him
      from whom you had departed by the sloth of disobedience.

      To you, therefore, my words are now addressed,
      whoever you may be,
      who are renouncing your own will
      to do battle under the Lord Christ, the true King,
      and are taking up the strong, bright weapons of obedience.

      And first of all,
      whatever good work you begin to do,
      beg of Him with most earnest prayer to perfect it,
      that He who has now deigned to count us among His children
      may not at any time be grieved by our evil deeds.
      For we must always so serve Him
      with the good things He has given us,
      that He will never as an angry Father disinherit His children,
      nor ever as a dread Lord, provoked by our evil actions,
      deliver us to everlasting punishment
      as wicked servants who would not follow Him to glory.

      REFLECTION

      The Prologue is the most tender and loving of beginnings. Always,
      always always keep this loving Father that writes here in mind as you
      read the rest of the Holy Rule. This and the epilogue are the key to
      it all, and the key to the saintly personality of our holy Father
      Benedict.

      Sorry to be so late today, as we are all a bit rushed these days.
      Brother Bernard had his first graft yesterday. Came through all
      right, but looks rather poorly. He is being so brave.

      Today was our Church's patronal feast, so there was a lot of ceremony
      plus hospital runs! Then dinner with our Sisters tonight. Hope to
      write a better reflection for you tomorrow!

      Love and prayers and a blessed 2003,