Holy Rule for Nov. 6

    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 6, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Wayne, who would have been 58 this week. A single man, he died all alone in his apartment, probably of a heart attack. Prayers, too, for Pat and Gussy, for Horrel and Ray, and for Fr. Martin of Prinknash, who will be giving us our retreat next week. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      March 7, July 7, November 6
      Chapter 30: How Boys Are to Be Corrected

      Every age and degree of understanding
      should have its proper measure of discipline.
      With regard to boys and adolescents, therefore,
      or those who cannot understand the seriousness
      of the penalty of excommunication,
      whenever such as these are delinquent
      let them be subjected to severe fasts
      or brought to terms by harsh beatings,
      that they may be cured.

      REFLECTION

      We are, after all, creatures of our own age, for better or worse.
      Every age has its hotspots and button-pushers, so it should amaze no
      one that many jump immediately on the phrase "harsh beatings." ("Calm
      down now, breathe deeply. Paramedics will be here any minute
      now..Try not to speak...We'll see if e can get that dosage adjusted
      for you so you won't have these dreadful fugues anymore...")

      Don't let our own age's revulsion at corporal punishment (which was
      thought perfectly sane when St. Benedict wrote,) blind you to the
      pearl of great price herein. "Every age and degree of understanding
      should have its proper measure of discipline."

      Probably unintentional(but the Holy Spirit can sneak a lot of His
      stuff into our words,) is the poetic ambiguity of the words "every
      age." That can mean all ages of an individual AND all ages of
      history. Quite evidently, the best minds of our own age no longer
      subscribe to beating sense into someone as a terribly useful method.
      So we affirm that and move on to the good stuff here.

      The good stuff is personalism in the extreme. Every person is
      different at every stage of their lives and every age in which people
      are born produces different people. The stuff that horrified my
      mother's generation often amuses me. I chuckle, or laugh right out
      loud. Most of us can probably say that. We are different from the
      generations before us because everything that formed us was NOT
      identical to the external forces which formed our elders.

      Think of the people you have thought were mean. I'll bet that there
      is a statistically significant trend among them, a tendency to "one
      size fits all" in punishment. Not so, folks, not so. Any who think
      that one size fits all must have their vision deflected to either the
      law itself or their own annoyance, but they certainly couldn't hold
      such a position if they were actually looking at the person before
      them.

      St. Benedict wants us to look at the person, always, not just in
      figuring out a punishment or discipline. Look at the person, LOOK,
      really look at the other. Why? because in the confusing mosaic of all
      those others we shall see Christ, to Whom we must prefer nothing,
      because He is really, truly there. Over time and with struggles, that
      kaleidoscopic mess of bits will emerge into a truest portrait, even if
      only in Heaven. We shall, when we see Christ at last, recognize Him
      better and at once because of all His people who have given us
      glimpses, no matter how slight.

      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 6, 2005

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Francoise, for Louis, her husband of 49 years, her son and daughter-in-law Matt and Bettie, her other son and all their family. Prayers, too, for Colin, terminal cancer, for Fr. Justine, cardiac arrhythmia, and continued prayers for Debbie, aneurysm at the base of her skull. Louise, another aneurysm for whom we prayed, is recovering at home. Deo gratias!! Prayers, too, for Allison, who must find another rental and move by Nov. 19. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him ! Thanks so much. JL

        March 7, July 7, November 6
        Chapter 30: How Boys Are to Be Corrected

        Every age and degree of understanding
        should have its proper measure of discipline.
        With regard to boys and adolescents, therefore,
        or those who cannot understand the seriousness
        of the penalty of excommunication,
        whenever such as these are delinquent
        let them be subjected to severe fasts
        or brought to terms by harsh beatings,
        that they may be cured.

        REFLECTION

        We are, after all, creatures of our own age, for better or worse.
        Every age has its hotspots and button-pushers, so it should amaze no
        one that many freak out immediately on the phrase "harsh beatings." ("Calm
        down now, breathe deeply. Paramedics will be here any minute
        now..Try not to speak...We'll see if we can get that dosage adjusted
[...]

        St. Benedict wants us to look at the person at all times, not just in

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 5, 2006

          Prayers, please, for Frank, found dead in suspicious circumstances as yet
          unexplained. Prayers, too, for Eileen, death anniversary tomorrow, for her son,
          George, and all her family. Prayers for Hannah, seeking her vocation, and for
          vocations to St. Mary's Monastery and all our monasteries. Prayers for all
          those who care for our prayer folks, physically or spiritually. Lord, help us

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 5, 2007

            Back from Europe, but with a mean cold. I prayed very much for all of you while there!

            Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of my Dad (+1960), the Jerome whose name I proudly took in religion. He would have been 95 yesterday. Also for the happy death and eternal rest of Ned, who died this morning, for his wife and grown children and all his family, especially nieces Petrina and Claudia.

            Prayers, please, for Frank, jobless for two years, despite excellent skills in his field.

            Prayers for F., spouse moved out and having an affair, son with mental illness has quit his job and for the return of all this family to the Faith and the Sacraments and, if possible, to unity.

            Prayers for K., sexual identity and parental issues, a lot of inner healing needed.

            For Bruce and Susan, to return to unity in their marriage after a long separation, and for Bruce's financial issues.

            For Jude, a Nigerian seeking permanent US resident visa, interview this week.

            For the grace of final persverance for Robert and his family.

            Prayers for Tania, surgery on her only sighted eye and no guaranetees she won't be blinded. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. od is never absent, praise Him! THanks so much. JL