Holy Rule for Nov. 3

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2004

      Prayers, please, for the repose of the soul of Matt, for whom we prayed, who has died. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      March 4, July 4, November 3
      Chapter 27: How Solicitous the Abbot Should Be for the Excommunicated

      Let the Abbot be most solicitous
      in his concern for delinquent brethren,
      for "it is not the healthy but the sick who need a physician" (Matt
      9:12)
      And therefore he ought to use every means
      that a wise physician would use.
      Let him send senpectae,
      that is, brethren of mature years and wisdom,
      who may as it were secretly console the wavering brother
      and induce him to make humble satisfaction;
      comforting him
      that he may not "be overwhelmed by excessive grief" (2 Cor. 2:7),
      but that, as the Apostle says,
      charity may be strengthened in him (2 Cor. 2:8).
      And let everyone pray for him.

      For the Abbot must have the utmost solicitude
      and exercise all prudence and diligence
      lest he lose any of the sheep entrusted to him.
      Let him know
      that what he has undertaken is the care of weak souls
      and not a tyranny over strong ones;
      and let him fear the Prophet's warning
      through which God says,
      "What you saw to be fat you took to yourselves,
      and what was feeble you cast away" (Ezec. 34:3,4).
      Let him rather imitate the loving example of the Good Shepherd
      who left the ninety-nine sheep in the mountains
      and went to look for the one sheep that had gone astray,
      on whose weakness He had such compassion
      that He deigned to place it on His own sacred shoulders
      and thus carry it back to the flock (Luke 15:4-5).

      REFLECTION

      This is the chapter that makes the entire penal code (as it is
      usually termed,) of the Holy Rule clear. Drop this one and it DOES
      become mean. The Abbot (or parent or teacher or boss or spouse,) is
      actually called to exercise super concern for the fallen. Hence, it
      is clear that the whole purpose of punishment in the Holy Rule is
      only to heal, to reform. It is an action of great hope, not a cop out
      of exclusion, not simply writing a person off because of the
      difficulties presented.

      How often do we "punish" another, or even ourselves, as a means of
      write-off, of abdication of our responsibility to love? Both the
      Gospel and St. Benedict teach us that is wrong, it is not a
      Christian response and not at all the way we should "conveniently"
      unload ourselves of a troubled human being in our lives.

      All of us charged with the care of others must pay close attention to
      this chapter. It is so easy to love the "perfect" child or the whiz
      kid student. It is so easy to heap acceptance and confident
      affirmation on the types of employees who least need it, while the
      strugglers and the strays have their feelings of inferiority
      confirmed. People of any age quite often stoop to the level of what
      others expect of them. We must offer them the best chance we can to
      do and be all that they can.

      The world will offer all of this empty praise that is necessary to
      the successful. It is the shallow way of the world to do so.
      Christians and monastics, however, are called to be OTHER than the
      world. There has to be something topsy-turvy in the way we love that
      becomes puzzlingly apparent. We have to love the underdog, even when
      the underdog is driving us slowly nuts. This doesn't mean we don't
      love the holy and good ones, it means we never, never fail to love
      the plodders. It means that we always remember that we are plodders
      in many ways ourselves.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2005

        Prayers, please, for Keith, sexually assaulted yesterday and admitted to an in-patient treatment facility for a while. He suffered from depression even before the attack, and for his brother, Michael and all his family. Prayers, too, for V., I. and P., special intention for a very difficult mess. Prayers for Matt, a young husband and father, on the first anniversary of his death. He fought so very brave a battle with terrible illness. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        The world will offer all the empty praise that is necessary to

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2006

          Deo gratias for our two liver transplants, Bob, who is doing well but still
          needs prayers for some psychological challenges, and Leah, our 10 year old,
          who had a successful transplant. Continued prayers for her recovery, prognosis
          very good. It is rare we get to see photos of those for whom we pray, but
          there is a news story on Leah from a local TV station at:
          _http://www.kcra.com/health/10192257/detail.html_ (http://www.kcra.com/health/10192257/detail.html)

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Mary Grace, on her death
          anniversary, and for her son and all her family, for all who mourn her. Prayers
          for Del, in assisted living now. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's
[...]

          confirmed. People of any age quite often stoop to the level that