Holy Rule for Nov. 2

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 2, 2004
      +PAX

      Most ardent prayers, please, for all the departed and for the will of God in the US elections today. Prayers of thanks for Christie, first lab results are good; also, please keep Dorothy, Larry and Dan in your prayers. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      March 3, July 3, November 2
      Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
      Excommunicated

      If any sister presumes
      without an order from the Abbess
      to associate in any way with an excommunicated sister,
      or to speak with her,
      or to send her a message,
      let her incur a similar punishment of excommunication.

      REFLECTION

      The principle here goes well afield of monastic excommunication.
      Tempting though it often is, at some very real point one cannot (and
      ought not!) be able to "protect" another from a parent or abbot or
      teacher or spouse. For better or worse, the one charged by God with
      the care of the child or monastic or student or partner really bears
      that charge, in ways that we cannot interfere with.

      In the inner city, I have taught children whose home lives were so
      pathetic that one was honestly tempted to line their parents up and
      shoot them. It seemed the only way out. Thankfully, it was not
      feasible, because it only SEEMED to be the only answer, the only
      help. Things look that way when we forget God is in charge, when we
      think we control more of destiny than we actually do, when we fail to
      trust Him to always, always bring good out of evil, if only we ask
      Him and let Him.

      This chapter was written for those who had already gone through all
      the earlier stages. They wound up in the ultimate form of monastic
      exclusion. At that point, one must leave the monastic and Abbot to
      themselves and pray. We are not called to play good cop/bad cop any
      longer.

      We must stand back in prayerful silence. God gave the monastic and
      the superior and the Abbey to each other. It is folly of the richest
      sort to assume He didn't know what He was doing. God also gave the
      parent and child, boss and employee, and the spouses to each other.

      Remember, I said "at some point" one must do nothing but pray. There
      are plenty of ways to be genuinely helpful before that point is
      reached and one ought to do so. I surely tried to love my students
      who broke my heart with their pain, but at some point I was helpless.
      God gave X this parent and God is not mean. Cannot be. Will never be.
      I had to trust Him at that extreme and pray for the best, which is
      all God works for anyway. And God works MUCH more efficiently than I
      do.

      Our railing at the seeming harshness of this chapter can cover
      another very important fact. Sometimes WE are the seemingly
      malevolent torturers and we don't even see that. Rare is the person
      who can truly judge themselves with the standards they cavalierly
      apply to others! Even worse, it often happens that we are BOTH the
      torturer and the innocent victim, doing it most hatefully within,
      where none can enter.

      Our own flawed and fallen hearts trash our own pathetic souls,
      beating them up with all kinds of useless recrimination and self-
      loathings. Whoops! Not what we would have first noticed, is it? Yet
      we lock the doors of that torture chamber with the key that locks out
      even God: free will. We and we alone can thwart God in our own
      regard. Scary power, isn't it?

      Check out the times we have "excommunicated" ourselves, check out the
      times we have damnably placed ourselves beyond any help from anyone.
      The injustice there is much harder for us to see, but it is terribly
      real. Whenever we do that, we affirm the terrible heresy that we know
      better than God, that His omniscience stops at the door to our inner
      selves. Wrong!!

      I love Gerard Manley Hopkins; he is my all-time favorite poet. I
      think he and I had more than a thing or two in common, not least of
      which were the tendencies to depression and beating oneself up with
      extreme efficiency. Here's what he wrote that sings to my heart, and
      I hope to yours as well.

      "My own heart let me more have pity on; let
      Me live to my sad self hereafter kind,
      Charitable; not live this tormented mind
      With this tormented mind tormenting yet."

      Pray for the awful excommunications that you CANNOT help and look
      ever so carefully for those you and you alone can relieve, those of
      your own soul and heart! God alone can bring good from evil, any
      evil. Ask Him, let Him. He will never fail.

      A final word on this day when many of us are thinking on Purgatory. This
      is my own opinion, not official teaching, but I don't think it contradicts the
      teaching in any way. Try to think of Purgatory as also being our chance to
      forgive ourselves. Surely the awesome mercy and love of God are so
      infinite that many of us may have a hard time accepting them at first, a
      hard time forgiving OURSELVES for being so dumb. Purgatory might
      very well serve that purpose, too! We cannot, after all, be perfectly happy
      in Heaven until we are perfectly comfortable there. For that comfort,
      self-forgiveness is very necessary!

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 2, 2005
        +PAX

        First, a great quote:

        �We must not make purgatory into a flaming concentration camp on the brink of
        hell�or even a �hell for a short time.� It is blasphemous to think of it as a
        place where a petty God exacts the last pound�or ounce�of flesh.... St.
        Catherine of Genoa, a mystic of the 15th century, wrote that the �fire� of
        purgatory is God�s love �burning� the soul so that, at last, the soul is wholly
        aflame. It is the pain of wanting to be made totally worthy of One who is seen
        as infinitely lovable, the pain of desire for union that is now absolutely
        assured, but not yet fully tasted� (Leonard Foley, O.F.M., Believing in Jesus).

        Now, prayers, please, for all the dear ones of all of our readers who have gone before us in faith. Prayers, too, for Howard, for whom we prayed, his non-functioning kidney is being removed and a biopsy will be done, also for Terry and Gert, bracing themselves for the eventual putting down of Mikey, their 11 year old cat, who has many breathing and heart problems. Prayers for Pete, his wife and all his family. He has multiple medical problems but severe circulatory problems in his legs and feet have him getting an MRI. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        March 3, July 3, November 2
        Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
        Excommunicated

        If any sister presumes
        without an order from the Abbess
        to associate in any way with an excommunicated sister,
        or to speak with her,
        or to send her a message,
        let her incur a similar punishment of excommunication.

        REFLECTION

        The principle here goes well afield of monastic excommunication.
        Tempting though it often is, at some very real point one cannot (and
        ought not!) "protect" another from a parent or abbot or
[...]

        torturer and the innocent victim, doing it most hatefully within our hearts,
        where none but God can enter.

        Our own flawed and fallen hearts trash our own pathetic souls,
        beating them up with all kinds of useless recrimination and self-
        loathings. Whoops! Not what we would have first noticed, is it? Yet
        we sometimes lock the doors of that torture chamber with the key that locks out

        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 1, 2006
          +PAX

          On this Feast of All Souls, prayers for all the dear ones of our readers
          gone to God. Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord! And let perpetual light shine
          upon them.

          Special prayers for our Abbot Hugh, of Pluscarden. His Mother, Mrs. Gilbert,
          died this morning. Prayers for her happy death and eternal rest, and for all
          her family and those who mourn her. What a propitious day to die: just
          before the whole Church begins to pray for all the faithful departed! May she be
          safe and sound and rejoicing in the arms of God. Lord, help us all as You know
[...]

          extreme efficiency. Here's something he wrote that sings to my heart, and

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 1, 2016

            +PAX

            Prayers, on this Feast of All Souls, for all the faithful departed, but most especially for those of our own families, friends, and benefactors, and all the deceased of our Orders and monasteries. Have Masses said for them, that is the greatest gift. Special prayers for those we have prayed for who have died and those who have died in the past year. Prayers for them all, and may they remember us when they are in heaven!

            Prayers for Sallie and her granddaughter, Sallie is homeschooling her for her religious instruction. Prayers that Sallie may give her a strong faith foundation that will support her all her life.

            Prayers for Elaine (not the Elaine in BC we usually have requests from,) going into hospital on Wednesday, for a successful outcome.

            Prayers for Sarah, who has MND, who is getting weaker.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of  Alex, a young lady killed in an accident yesterday, and for all her family and all who mourn her.

            Prayers for Tessa, struggling with a neck injury.

            Prayers for Val, recovering from cancer.

            Prayers for the eternal rest of  Mike, who passed away recently, and for all his family and all who mourn him.

            Prayers for some militant atheists who are posting poisonous remarks on social media, including John’s son, that they be converted. Prayers, too, for John, and for the pain such remarks causes him.

            Prayers for Pam, due to undergo heart surgery.

[...]

            Remember that sometimes one can do nothing but pray.
            There are plenty of ways to be genuinely helpful before that point
            is reached and one ought to do so. I surely tried to love my
            students who broke my heart with their pain, but at some point I
            was helpless. God gave X this parent and God is not mean. Cannot be. Will never
            be. I had to trust Him at that extreme and pray for the best, which
            is all God works for anyway. And God works MUCH more efficiently
            than I do.

            A final word on this day when many of us are thinking on Purgatory.
            This is my own opinion, not official teaching, but I don't think it
            contradicts the teaching in any way. Try to think of Purgatory as, along with
            its other purposes, also being our chance to forgive ourselves. Surely the
            awesome mercy and love of God are so infinite that many of us may have a
            hard time accepting them at first, a hard time forgiving OURSELVES
            for being so dumb. Purgatory might very well serve that purpose,
            while purifying us, too! We cannot, after all, be perfectly happy in Heaven
            until we are perfectly comfortable there. For that comfort, self-forgiveness
            is very necessary!

            __

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 1

              +PAX

              Prayers, on this Feast of All Souls, for all the faithful departed, but most especially for those of our own families, friends, and benefactors, and all the deceased of our Orders and monasteries. Have Masses said for them, that is the greatest gift. Special prayers for those we have prayed for who have died and those who have died in the past year. Prayers for them all, and may they remember us when they are in heaven!

              Prayers for P., having an MRI, prayers for a good report.

              Deo gratias, Amy delivered twins, Zoe and Ezechiel, continued prayers for all three, and for Mike, their Dad. Twins are in NICU for low weight and Amy had some problems with delivery.

              Prayers for D. and his Mom, she is in her 90’s and bedridden, but suffers a lot from loneliness. Prayers that more folks visit.

              Continued prayers for the happy death of Ana, and for her daughter, Emilia, and all their family and all who will mourn her.

              Prayers for Stan, early 80's, COPD. He is very debilitated and has trouble walking. Please pray for his health situation to improve.

              Prayers  for Aurora L., for her nursing exam tomorrow. May the Holy Spirit guide her all the way.

              Prayers for Dave, 70, having a heart valve replacement and a triple bypass very soon. Please pray for successful surgery.

              Continued prayers Cari, in  her 40's , stage 4 lung cancer and a hole in her lung from latest biopsy. She has been admitted to hospital. Situation very serious.

              Deo gratias and continued prayers  for Terrell, with stage 3 throat cancer. He is doing well and making good progress.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of Judy O., on the 6th anniversary of her death, and for all who mourn her

              Prayers for Fr. Basil who needs to have a full GI tract exam and cardiac tests.

              Prayers for Fr. Brendan, fibromyalgia, back pain, a torn rotator cuff, and his essential tremor is getting very bad.

              Pray for Fr. Peter, as he is having health problems.

              Chapter 26: On Those Who Without an Order Associate with the
              Excommunicated

              If any sister presumes without an order from the Abbess to
              associate in any way with an excommunicated sister, or to speak
              with her, or to send her a message, let her incur a similar
              punishment of excommunication.

              REFLECTION

              This chapter was written for those who had already gone through all
              the earlier stages. They wound up in the ultimate form of monastic
              exclusion. At that point, one must leave the monastic and Abbot to
              themselves and pray. We must stand back, God gave the monastic and