Holy Rule for Oct. 31

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2004

      Prayers, please, for 3 teenaged boys from a Massachusetts facility. All are troubled, all addicted, one was raped at 8. So much to rebuild in these young lives. Prayers for Richard, first stage cancer diagnosis, and for his girlfriend, Abigail. She lost her father to cancer and is very upset. Prayers, too, for Alfred, very ill and seems to have given up, and for all his family. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Alleluia! Thanks so much. JL

      March 1, July 1, October 31
      Chapter 24: What the Measure of Excommunication Should Be

      The measure of excommunication or of chastisement
      should correspond to the degree of fault,
      which degree is estimated by the judgment of the Abbess.

      If a sister is found guilty of lighter faults,
      let her be excluded from the common table.
      Now the program for one deprived of the company of the table
      shall be as follows:
      In the oratory she shall intone neither Psalm nor antiphon
      nor shall she recite a lesson
      until she has made satisfaction;
      in the refectory she shall take her food alone
      after the community meal,
      so that if they eat at the sixth hour, for instance,
      that sister shall eat at the ninth,
      while if they eat at the ninth hour
      she shall eat in the evening,
      until by a suitable satisfaction she obtains pardon.

      REFLECTION

      Let's face it, St. Benedict has a lot to say about excommunication- a
      clumsy term, perhaps, because people often assume it means
      excommunication from the Church, which is the only sense of the word
      we commonly have today. It does not, of course mean that, just a
      punishment of exclusion from certain community functions.

      Let's face something else, at least in this chapter. Fasting an extra
      three hours might not be lovely, but no intoning in choir? What bad
      news! Gosh... Even many of us who CAN sing would look at that as a
      nice break!

      And eating alone? Well, the extra fast was a drag, but I
      sure missed that droning reader and the tedious book we've been
      reading. What awful luck!

      See the difference in perception a millennium or so can make? That
      may be a large part of why the penal code is not followed today: some
      of its punishments simply make little sense to modern monastics, some
      seem mean, and others (as above,) seem like downright vacations.

      The rest of this applies with great ease to family situations,
      marital situations and the workplace. Something must be gleaned from
      all this legislation for punishment: the one at fault must be told
      when something is wrong. That, after all, is the only reason for
      punishment, to be a wake up call to the less than brilliant.

      Unfortunately, the monastic hatred of personal confrontation endemic
      in our ranks assumes (because it is easiest to do so,) sufficient
      brilliance for all to sooner or later figure out that they are amiss.
      It just ain't so, folks, sorry! Things fester when they go ignored
      for years. Things that someone should have dealt with gently, but
      firmly and even summarily, in formation or childhood, torture the
      family in later years.

      Look, it is hard, VERY hard, to confront a predictably stubborn or
      difficult child or monastic or spouse or employee on a bad day. It's
      easy to see why one would rather not do so. But the Holy Rule asks
      many things that are difficult of us, and this one is unquestionably
      for the good of all, both the offender and the offended.

      Please take very careful note, however, of the gentleness and real
      concern that is essential if such confrontations are to succeed. Explosive,
      violent tactics, harsh words and actions at the first HINT of trouble are
      NOT the monastic way. There is charity, always charity first.

      If we cannot be sure of that love in ourselves, we would do far better to remain
      silent. We must avoid the false charity, (really just cowardice in polite drag,)
      that omits making these difficult corrections. It goes a long way to making
      everyone's life hellish in the future. Sometimes that false charity can also be
      hatred or violence or revenge in pious drag, and that is equally terrible, and also
      goes along way to making others miserable.

      Also, in workplace especially, bear in mind that the authority figure
      here is the abbot, not the rank and file. One dare not assume all
      those prerogatives as a peer and equal. Fraternal correction will get
      a chapter of its own later on, but it is not a mantle to be assumed
      lightly. We must beware of the other extreme: becoming universal
      policing agents for all and sundry. A tiny spark of Gestapo flickers
      in many, if not most human hearts. Do nothing to fan the flame!

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 31, 2005

        Prayers, please, for Marialyce, eye surgery today, and for Tim, 34, brain cancer progressing fast, also for his wife and young son. Prayers for Len, liver cancer spreading, and for Frank, serious heart problems, extensive tests, and for Diane, his wife. Prayers, too, for our monastery chicken flock. I found one dead yesterday and hope it is nothing that will spread to the whole flock. Lord help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        sure of that selfless love in ourselves, we would sometimes do far better

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 30, 2006

          Prayers, please, for Ryan, having seizures, no diagnosis yet. His family
          fears it might be a brain tumor. Prayers for a young man who was fired from his
          previous position and has a job interview with another company tomorrow. He is
          also meeting with his previous employer to try to work things out there.
          Pray for God's Will for this very troubled young man who needs a job
          desperately. Prayers for Jean, 73, who died suddenly from a stroke, for her happy death
          and eternal rest and for all who mourn her. Prayers for Ruth, we have prayed
          for her in the past, especially for her husband, who has cancer and their
          financial straits resulting from costs of his treatment and care. Now doctors
          have found a mass in her left side, further tests are pending and she is
          hoping for the best. This couple has a lot on their hands and need prayers badly.

[...]

          And eating alone? Well, the extra fast wasn't great, but I
[...]

          hatred or violence or revenge in pious disguise, and that is equally
          terrible, and
          also goes along way to making others miserable.

          Also, in workplace especially, bear in mind that the authority figure
          here is the abbot, not the rank and file. One dare not assume all
          those prerogatives as a peer and equal. Fraternal correction will get
          a chapter of its own later on, but it is not a mantle to be assumed
          lightly. We must beware of the other extreme: becoming universal
          policing agents for all and sundry. A tiny spark of Gestapo flickers
          in many of our all too human hearts. Do nothing to fan the flame!