New Reprint of Monastic Diurnal available

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2004

      During these chapters on the Divine Office, James Sullivan reminded me of something I've been meaning to tell you for a while. St. Michael's Abbey, Farnborough, England, has done a lovely republication of the 1963 Monastic Diurnal in English and Latin, leather bound, 1,480 pages, red and black printing. This is a LOVELY book. Diurnals are hard to find used (mine is from 1949...) so this is a real service for those who would like to have the traditional Benedictine Office. It includes all the hours except Matins. Prior Cuthbert of Farnborough has visited us here at St. St. Mary's, so say hello for me if you order! Here is the link for the Diurnals:

      http://www.theabbeyshop.com/ProductDetail.php?ProductID=269

      Also, the Abbey web site and virtual tour are very lovely. The Abbey was built by Empress Eugenie of France, as a last resting place for Emperor Napoleon III, their son, the Prince Imperial and herself, in their English exile. All three are entombed in the Crypt of the Abbey Church. Beautifully done and rich in history, check it out!

      http://www.farnboroughabbey.org/homepage.html