Holy Rule for Oct. 20

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 20, 2004

      Prayers for the will of God in the US elections, please.

      Prayers, please, for Ali's Mum, her inoperable cancer is very advanced and in a lot of pain, prayers for a holy, happy death for her. Prayers, too, for Elaine, who had to sacrifice her retreat this weekend to faithfully attend to NT studies course finals, and for
      Jean, that her house sells quickly, and also for her on her birthday today. Ad multos annos! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. ALLELUIA! Thanks so much. JL

      February 19, June 20, October 20
      Chapter 16: How the Work of God Is to Be Performed During the Day

      "Seven times in the day," says the Prophet,
      "I have rendered praise to You" (Ps. 118:164).
      Now that sacred number of seven will be fulfilled by us
      if we perform the Offices of our service
      at the time of the Morning Office,
      of Prime, of Terce, of Sext, of None,
      of Vespers and of Compline,
      since it was of these day Hours that he said,
      "Seven times in the day I have rendered praise to You."
      For as to the Night Office the same Prophet says,
      "In the middle of the night I arose to glorify You" (Ps. 118:62).

      Let us therefore bring our tribute of praise to our Creator
      "for the judgments of His justice" (Ps. 118:164)
      at these times:
      the Morning Office, Prime, Terce, Sext, None,
      Vespers and Compline;
      and in the night let us arise to glorify Him.

      REFLECTION

      Tucked neatly into all this business of naming and counting the Hours
      of the Divine Office comes the actual reason we go to choir or say the
      Office alone. It is "our tribute of praise to our Creator 'for the judgments of His
      justice' "

      OK, tribute, praise, glorify, all those things are familiar enough to
      us, but the zinger here is "for the judgments of His justice."
      Whoops! A lot fall out on that one! Whether we realize it or not, the
      reason we praise God as Benedictine is to thank Him for ALL His
      decisions in regard to us. That isn't easy, but it is terribly valid
      and terribly necessary.

      We thank God- admittedly sometimes with gritted teeth- for all the
      things that did and DIDN'T work out the way we wanted them, for every
      acceptance and every rejection that brought us to be as we find
      ourselves today, in His arms. The jobs we didn't get, the great loves
      which were not reciprocal, the course we flunked, the kids that went
      wrong, the illness that dogs us, the spouse we should never have gone
      out with twice, the unwanted pregnancy, the miscarriage, EVERYTHING
      that has shaped our lives and persons is something we thank God for
      in the Office.

      I mention only the difficult things, because anybody can be thankful
      that the apparently GOOD stuff worked out. Nor am I saying all the
      bad stuff is God's fault, or that it's our own fault, but ALL of it
      is turned to GOOD by God, and that is worth singing about! All of it!
      If we look back honestly, we can see the hand of His goodness in the
      darkest times, we can see it in NOT having our way, we can see it in
      everything.

      Since the way God turns all to good is a mystery we shall never know
      fully in this life, we cannot adequately say much of anything but
      thanks and praise, the stammered joy of someone who has received a
      really great gift and is astounded at such generosity. Thanks, God.
      And hey, You really DID know what You were doing all along, didn't
      You?

      Own it, beloveds, God's will truly IS best. All is really mercy and
      grace! All! And, uh, oh yeah- Alleluia!!!!!!!!!

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 20, 2005

        Prayers for Sandy,in remission from multiple myeloma, for her husband, just discharged for congestive heart failure and other cardiac problem, for a Jesuit friend of hers with terminal esophageal cancer and for her sister, bilateral mastectomy. Prayers for the faith of J and B. Prayers for Donna, as she undergoes risky surgery today for her facial neuralgia disorder. Continued prayers for Dan and his recovery. Prayers for Joyce, awaiting hip surgery, that all goes well. Her husband died after negligence in post-op care and she is understandably apprehensive. Prayers of Deo gratias and thanks for continued recovery for Allison and Fr. Brian.
        Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        reason we praise God as Benedictines is to thank Him for ALL His
        decisions in regard to us. That isn't easy, but it is terribly valid
        and terribly necessary.

        We thank God- admittedly sometimes with gritted teeth- for all the
        things that did and DIDN'T work out the way we wanted them, for every
        acceptance and every rejection that brought us to be as we find
        ourselves today, in His arms, even when we cannot feel His arms.
        The jobs we didn't get, the great loves which were not reciprocal, the
        course we flunked, the kids that went wrong, the illness that dogs us, the
        spouse we should never have gone out with twice, the unwanted pregnancy,
        the miscarriage, EVERYTHING that has shaped our lives and persons is
        something we thank God for in the Office.

        I mention only the difficult things, because anybody can be thankful
        that the apparently great stuff worked out. Nor am I saying all the

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 19, 2006

          Prayers, please, for a young woman (I have no name,) and her Dad. He is
          seriously ill. Prayers for Darla, 50's,recurring breast cancer. She had her
          second breast removed yesterday. Prayers for Phil and his wife, Phyl. He has just
          been diagnosed with cancer and his wife is understandably upset. Prayers for
          their whole situation. Prayers for a middle-aged woman who may be quite
          mistaken about having a religious vocation, for God's will for her. Continued
          prayers for a religious in crisis. Prayers of Deo gratias and thanks for
          Natalie, no cardiac blockage, but still dealing with high stress levels. Also Deo
          gratias for Marialyce, whose physical therapy seems to be helping more. Lord,
          help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace.