Holy Rule for Oct. 18

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 18, 2004

      Prayers for the will of God in the upcoming US elections.

      Deo gratias! Ben, for whom we prayed and whom many of you graciously helped after his hand injury, has gone back to work. Still a lot of adjustment, re-learning and some pain involved, so keep him in your prayers, please.

      Prayers, too, for Emi, colonoscopy today, and for the repose of the soul of Javier, her son, today is his birthday. Prayers for Fr. Mark, taken to ER with internal bleeding, also for Adam, 43, an ironworker killed by a crane in South Boston, he leaves a wife and a 2 year old child. Prayers, too, for Joseph, 60, who died from prostate cancer, and for all his family and his friend, Jerry, who asked. Prayers of thanksgiving and continued healing for Amy. Special long-term prayers for healing of Bill and Carol, in the midst of many other life and health problems, their only son has died. They need prayers badly for the long stretch and holidays ahead of them. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      February 17, June 18, October 18
      Chapter 14: How the Night Office Is to Be Said on the Feasts of the
      Saints

      On the feasts of Saints and on all festivals
      let the Office be performed
      as we have prescribed for Sundays,
      except that the Psalms, the antiphons and the lessons
      belonging to that particular day are to be said.
      Their number, however, shall remain as we have specified above.

      REFLECTION

      Every love life needs a bit of variety now and then, even the
      monogamous ones, even the celibate ones, and, let us face it, our
      prayer is (or ought to be!)a love life. Without marking certain days
      as special, our Office would quickly become a bland and tedious bore.
      On the other hand, mark too much as special and people soon get worn
      out. Variety itself becomes boring and a chore. What sane married
      couple would insist on spending every night in a different motel? One
      or both would quickly tire of that and it would destroy the very
      unity it was aiming to protect.

      Having lived in a monastery for part of the 1960's and 70's where the
      liturgy became the sad equivalent of a revolving door, changing often
      and not often well, I can speak from experience. It became dreadful
      to wonder what would happen next. It pulled out the necessary
      underpinnings of a certain stability (gasp!) and changelessness that
      a Benedictine life of prayer requires.

      Ah, but in the quest for simplicity carried to unfortunate extremes,
      it did, at times, become UTTERLY changeless. Same old same old, every
      single day with nothing different but the prayer at the end, if that.
      ("Oh boy, it must be Tuesday again....!") No antiphons, just psalms
      and canticles. No music other than the hymn, same seven each week for
      each hour, a few good, many bad.... No Glory be between Psalms, just
      one at the end. It was dull and gave even more of an impression
      of "let's just get this over with" than the old Office did at its
      very worst. One often wondered why we still bothered to go to choir.

      A balance between variety and stability is where the virtue truly
      lies. I have never heard anyone complain about singing or saying the
      same unchanging parts of the Mass every day, because they are set in
      the midst of elements that DO change every day. The same must be true
      of the Office to a certain extent. When SO much changes at feasts
      that one longs and pines for a weekday with one book and NOTHING
      special, that balance has been missed. On the other hand, the
      changeless mundane misses the balance as well. One should never have
      to come out of a "simple" Office and think quietly: "Wow, that was
      dumb...." (But I often have.)

      St. Benedict built the necessary change right into his Office for
      monasteries. Ignore his bottom line or extend it unduly and you get
      into trouble. In this instance, as in so many, he was far wiser than
      we are, than people of any age are.

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 18, 2005

        Prayers, please, for a 39 year old woman with severe abdominal fluid build-up and a lesion on her adrenal gland, awaiting tests for further diagnosis, for her Mom, Barbara, and all her family. Prayers for a couple whose son has run away. Prayers, too, for Fr. Gregory of Valyermo, hospitalized with severe tremor disorder. Prayers for Mary, non-Hodgkins lymphoma, having a stem cell transplant, for her husband, Larry, her daughter, Rachel, who is the donor, her son Jonathan, a doctor on the team, and all her family. Prayers too for their son, Christopher in Central America with Catholic Worker. Prayers for Joey, badly injured in a bicycling accident.

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Carol, who made her final Oblation at Sacred Heart Monastery on Saturday. Blessings and graces to her! Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        freshness and unity it was aiming to protect.

        Having lived in a monastery for part of the 1960's and 70's where the
        liturgy became the sad equivalent of a revolving door, changing often
        and not often well, I can speak from experience. It became dreadful
        to wonder what would happen next. It pulled out the necessary
        underpinnings of a certain stability and changelessness that

        Message 3 of 3 , Oct 17, 2006

          Prayers, please for Nancy, flying home to be at her dying father's side, and
          for the happy death and eternal rest of her Dad. Prayers for Amanda, whom we
          have prayed for in the past, colonoscopy tomorrow may shed further light on
          her diagnosis. Deo gratias and prayers of thanks that Alex and Ian (for whom
          we
          prayed last November when they lost twins in the third month of pregnancy)
          are now into the fourth month of a new pregnancy and all seems to be going
          well. May God protect them and their unborn child. Prayers please for
          Diana undergoing gallbladder surgery today.

          Deo gratias and thanksgiving for Carol, on the first anniversary of her
          Oblation this week. Deo gratias and thanks for Barb, for whom we prayed, her
          second hip surgery went better than the first and she is home making great
          progress! Her son, David and all her family thank everyone for their prayers. Lord,
          help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and