Holy Rule for Oct. 9

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 9, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Mary P., rapidly growing lump on her breast,she awaits biopsy results, prayers of thanks (and thanks from!) Dianne. She attributes the much better prognosis for her colon cancer to the prayers said for her! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      Chapter 7: On Humility cont.
      February 8, June 9, October 9

      The eleventh degree of humility is that when a monk speaks he do so gently
      and without laughter, humbly and seriously, in few and sensible words, and
      that he be not noisy in his speech. It is written, "A wise man is known by
      the fewness of his words."

      REFLECTION

      I read this one and cringe, largely because I fail it so much. Part of my
      loudness is being 40% deaf, and while I try to control my levels of speech, I
      sometimes forget. That, however, in NO way absolves me from the wise man and
      fewness of words part, nor does it cover the sins of my tendency to make a big
      splash nearly every time I'm entering the pool. Face it, beloveds, for those at
      poolside dining on dry snacks like potato chips, those big splashes can get very
      old, very fast!

      I'm speaking of my own failure here, but I imagine some of it may apply to
      others' lives, too. So many wasted words, and at such volume! What is their
      purpose, what insecurities do they cover? How many times do I speak as if on
      stage and why? To show that I am cool or a big shot or clever or funny? All
      those things are ultimately lies and the person I may be trying most to convince
      is my pathetically false self. How many times do I call it teasing when another
      is really hurt? How many times do I go over the top and not even notice? Even if
      I am only futilely trying to overcome my own boredom by creating some
      excitement, the message reads frighteningly clear: I am more important, I am a
      big deal, I matter more than the people or silence that make me uncomfortable.
      None of that is true in the sense I am modeling it. None. So why do I bother?
      Why do any of us? These are tough and excellent questions!

      There are, however, both positive and negative sides to this virtuous method of
      speech. Check out the "gently" part, check out the "fewness" of words, not
      their total absence. I have been at gatherings, not a few of them, alas,
      monastic, where such a tense and uneasy silence obtained that one began to
      ardently hope that someone would serve cyanide kool-aid and end the suffering!
      One leaves such a mess hankering for either a stiff drink or an antacid. Not
      what recreations are supposed to be and especially bad if they come right after
      supper!

      What is behind such recreations that have all the charm of a dead string quartet
      is often shyness or social ineptitude, but these, too, are faults in some
      instances and must be overcome. Just as the braying jackass like myself must
      rein in, others must consciously "rein out". To fail to do so is to embrace the
      same lie: I matter more than this situation, than these people. My feelings are
      paramount. Whoops! Not so. Many humble people may be reticent, but there are
      plenty of ways to be shy that are decidedly neither humble nor kind.

      The twofold key is charity and balance. There have been times when I have seen a
      person- even been a person- who monopolized a recreation. There have been other
      times when I have longed for someone to do so. It requires that mindfulness
      born of love and balance to truthfully ascertain whether a situation would
      profit more from our silence or our speaking. But the key here is "profit more"
      and the recipients in mind must be others, not just ourselves. Buffoonery can
      certainly annoy, but silence can also sometimes hurt: this person doesn't care
      about me at all, it's like I didn't even exist. Somewhere between the extremes
      lies love, folks, and that is our precarious goal.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 9, 2005

        Prayers, please, for Don, RoseMary and their 15 year old daughter, who was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident, 3 skull fractures, other broken bones, and extensive skin loss. Prayers, too, for Dave, surgery on Tuesday for an aggressive form of prostate cancer, also facing loss of his job, and for his wife, Elaine, struggling to recover from pneumonia, complicated by Lupus. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Chapter 7: On Humility cont.
        February 8, June 9, October 9

        The eleventh degree of humility is that when a monk speaks he do so gently
        and without laughter, humbly and seriously, in few and sensible words, and
        that he be not noisy in his speech. It is written, "A wise man is known by
        the fewness of his words."

        REFLECTION

        I read this one and cringe, largely because I fail it so much. Part of my
        loudness is being 40% deaf, and while I try to control my levels of speech, I
        sometimes forget. That, however, in NO way absolves me from the wise man and
        fewness of words part, nor does it cover the flaws of my tendency to make a big
[...]

        instances and must be overcome. Just as the braying mule like myself must

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 8, 2006

          Prayers for Br. Adrian of Pluscarden and all our Adrians on their feastday.
          Ad multos annos, many years and blessings on all.

          Prayers, please, for Sarah, cancer in remission but chemo side effects are
          terrible, including an intestinal infection with huge abdominal swelling.
          Prayers for Tom Columcille, who made his final Oblation to St. Procopius Abbey
          today. Deo gratias and many years!! Prayers for Keith, beginning instructions in
          the Catholic faith. Prayers for Sr. Lany Jo, forced into voice rest and
          since much of her work involves speaking or singing, this is very hard for her.
          Prayers for Dick severe spinal problems and pain, also Lou Gehrig's disease
          (ALS,) and for Joy, his wife and all their family. Lord, help us all as You

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 8, 2007

            Prayers, please for Br. Adrian of Pluscarden on his feastday, and for all our Adrians: many graces and blessings and many more years!

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Judy, Jim and Liz, and for all who mourn them.

            Prayers of thanksiving and Deo gratias for Todd and three other recived with him as Oblate novices of St. Gregory's Abbey, Shawnee, Oklahoma, this past Sunday. may the Benedictine lives they are beginning be filled with grace and mercy!

            Prayers for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who treat or care for them:

            Greg's Mom, a fracture found at the site of her recent hip replacement and she is very discouraged.

            the Mom of a friend of Greg's, stage four lung cancer and terminal, barring a miracle. Prayers, too, that
            someone who needs grace and strength to call her will do so. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL