Holy Rule for Oct. 3

    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
      +PAX

      A joyous feast of Blessed Columba Marmion, OSB, to all! A further joy today is that Austria's last Emperor, Karl I, is being beatified in Rome. I will send you all a brief biography of him later. It is so remarkable that a world leader in the 20th century should be on the way to sainthood. (Alas that is IS remarkable!) He was called the People's Emperor and the Peace Emperor, died in 1922.

      Prayers, please, for Norman, exploratory surgery for lump on his neck. Prayers of thanks for M., for whom we prayed, her cancer tests went well, but she is still waiting for the news, so continued prayers for her and her family. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      The fifth degree of humility
      is that he hide from his Abbot none of the evil thoughts
      that enter his heart
      or the sins committed in secret,
      but that he humbly confess them.
      The Scripture urges us to this when it says,
      "Reveal your way to the Lord and hope in Him" (Ps. 36:5)
      and again,
      "Confess to the Lord, for He is good,
      for His mercy endures forever" (Ps. 105:1).
      And the Prophet likewise says,
      "My offense I have made known to You,
      and my iniquities I have not covered up.
      I said: 'I will declare against myself my iniquities to the Lord;'
      and 'You forgave the wickedness of my heart'" (Ps. 31:5).

      REFLECTION

      As the saying goes, friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief.
      There's something to that, something we all know and demonstrate when
      something pleases us so much that we just can't wait to tell someone
      else about it. Unfortunately, we don't often show the same eagerness
      when something is wrong. Granted, our sorrows and griefs may be
      shared, but often our most treacherous wounds and illnesses are not.
      Neither are we particularly eager to let our areas of ignorance show.

      Few things can be more pathetic (or more frustrating to those who
      love them!) than a patient's refusal to tell the doctor that
      something is wrong out of some misguided fear. "I was afraid he'd
      tell me it was cancer�." Well, he might have, and it might be, but if
      he doesn't know, he cannot treat it in time and it is a nearly
      certain death sentence. Beyond that, what a waste it is for all the
      times we left things untreated out of fears that were totally
      unfounded!

      So it is with the spiritual life, the monastic struggle, and even
      with 12 step recovery programs. Our wounds must be exposed and shared
      if they are to heal. I can say from personal experience that, at some
      of the worst crisis times in my own vocation, I resolutely kept my
      mouth shut. Part of that was stupidly not wishing to upset anybody,
      but another part was afraid that if I did, they'd help! God got me
      through those times. Apparently He insisted on doing so, because He
      got precious little help from me.

      For heaven's sake- literally- if you belong to a Church that has a tradition
      sacramental Confession, GO! Christ left us that sacrament for a reason,
      not out of whimsy or folly. He had too short a public life to fritter His time
      away and leave us non-essentials. Confession is a necessary and very
      effective medicine! Go!

      Pick whichever popular image you wish for the monastery, school of
      the Lord's service or hospital, but neither of them are going to be
      much good if you are unwilling to let anyone know what you need to
      learn or what ails you. Face it, apart from their primary goals of
      education and healing, neither school nor hospital has much to offer
      in the way of a vacation resort. We come here because we ARE unwise
      and unwell. Pretending otherwise is a huge disservice to ourselves.

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2005
        +PAX

        Today is not only the feast of our own Benedictine, Blessed Columba Marmion, but also that of Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos, a Redemptorist Father who lived the last years of his ministry in New Orleans. He died after an earlier New Orleans tragedy: the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1867. He contracted the disease from tending to the sick. He would be an excellent intercessor to pray for the troubled folks in New Orleans and throughout the hurricane region, so ask him to help!

        Prayers for Father Tim Vakok, still having a long and slow recovery from wounds he received while a chaplain in Iraq. Prayers, too, for peace of heart for Shirley. Prayers for the students of the Venerable English College in Rome and for their librarian, who receives these reflections, Sr. Mary Joseph. May she help all her boys on their way to the altar of God! Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        Neither are we particularly eager to let our weakest areas show.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 2, 2006
          +PAX

          Huge Deo gratias: the young mother for whom we prayed, whose hemorrhaging
          after delivery of her first child resulted in a hysterectomy, has awakened form
          her coma and is asking for her child. She is still very ill, so continued
          prayers, but it looks as if she might recover. There is a chance she has
          suffered some small strokes, too, so prayers ongoing for her and her baby and all
          their family. Deo gratias, Nancy, whose happy death we prayed for, has gone to
          God, prayers for her eternal rest and for her family and all who mourn her.

          Prayers for Irene, her cancer has returned aggressively after many
          treatments have been tried, and for Donna, her daughter who cares for her and all
          their family. Prayers for Amanda, 19, comatose after severe spinal injuries in a
          car wreck, full extent of her injuries as yet unknown, and for Katayan, her
          Muslim friend who asked one of our readers for prayers. Prayers for the folks
          who treat all of our prayer intention people spiritually or physically, God
          guide and reward them all. Prayers for Anna, and many others in the Katrina
          region: her rent is being tripled, owing to insurance costs post-Katrina, and
          there are many, many folks in this predicament. Prayers for them all. So many
          are being forced to leave lifelong homes. Lord, help us all as You know and
          Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          but another part was afraid that if I did say something, they'd help! God

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2, 2007
            +PAX

            Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Maggie, who took her own life, and for the 3 year old daughter and grieving husband and friends she left behind.

            Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat or care for them:

            Toni, post-op from cancer sugery, now in chemo.

            Diana and Jay, in a transition and asking prayers for the Lord's will and direction.

            Ann and her family needs prayers. Her mother may have pneumonia or congestive heart failure, one daughter just back to work after pnemonia and another daughter whose problems seem to be getting worse.

            Deo gratias and thanksgiving: Mary Frances, for whom we prayed, passed her Real Estate license exam. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2016

              +PAX

              Prayers for Eric Knott, making his Claustral Oblation as a member of Marmion Abbey today. May he persevere all his life and have many happy years of serving God as a Brother.

              Prayers for Michael, his wife and four teenaged children, he is facing the threat of job cuts at work. Prayers that his job be protected and for the financial well-being of his family.

              Prayers for Therese T., very stressed with the impending death of her father and family issues. Prayers, too, for her father’s happy death.

              Prayers for Joel, being treated in Uganda for typhoid, may he recover fully.

              Prayers for the children and all others threatened in Aleppo and other war zones throughout the world, prayers for the eternal rest of the many dead, for their families and those who mourn them. Prayers for the recovery of the wounded and for the many left homeless and for the orphaned.

              Prayers for Alan, discerning an Oblate vocation with an Abbey in the UK.

              Belated feastday prayers for Mother Therese, Oct. 1, many graces and many more years, ad multos annos.

              Belated feastday prayers for all monks and Oblates of the American Cassinese Congregation, their feastday was Oct. 2, Holy Guardian Angels. Graces and blessings for all, ad multos annos!

              The fifth degree of humility
              is that he hide from his Abbot none of the evil thoughts
              that enter his heart
              or the sins committed in secret,
              but that he humbly confess them.
              The Scripture urges us to this when it says,
              "Reveal your way to the Lord and hope in Him" (Ps. 36:5)
              and again,
              "Confess to the Lord, for He is good,
              for His mercy endures forever" (Ps. 105:1).
              And the Prophet likewise says,
              "My offense I have made known to You,
              and my iniquities I have not covered up.
              I said: 'I will declare against myself my iniquities to the Lord;'
              and 'You forgave the wickedness of my heart'" (Ps. 31:5).

              REFLECTION

              A caution here: the Holy Rule uses the Septuagint version's numbering
              of the Psalms, not the Hebrew. Since most Bibles today use the latter
              system, even many Catholic editions, you might find that the Psalm
              referred to in this passage, which I strongly recommend you read
              through, is 32, not 31.

              Psalm 31 (32) is a wonderful exposition of sin and forgiveness. It
              begins by recounting the joy of one whose sin has been forgiven, then
              proceeds to unfold how concealing sin affects one and confessing sin
              heals one. In v. 3-4, immediately prior to the 5th verse which St.
              Benedict quotes, we find the following: "I kept it secret and my
              frame was wasted. I groaned all the day long for night and day Your
              hand was heavy upon me. Indeed, my strength was dried up as by the
              summer's heat."

              Guilty secrets control us, they rob us of our freedom, they destroy
              our peace. Long before one's frame is wasted, one's mind and spirit are laid low by
              the relentless fear of discovery. It's very true that one can run,
              but not hide. It is also true that, without the peace such shameful
              hiding steals from us, we shall have a MUCH harder time with our spiritual
              life.

              What the guilty one is fleeing is within herself, and
              travels right along with her. Ever see a news clip about a fugitive
              who successfully hid for decades and then was caught? I wonder what
              kind of life they had in the meantime, a life never free, a life that
              always had to fear. This is not what Jesus called us to.

              One may not belong to a tradition which practices sacramental
              confession, but all of us need the abscesses of our secret guilt
              lanced and drained somehow. AA, a spiritual program which can fit
              itself to any religion or no religion, insists that without confession to at
              least one other trustworthy person, our faults are likely to rule us forever.
              Don't spill your beans to just anyone, but don't hold them festering
              within, either! [A heavy PS, too: if you do belong to a Church that
              has sacramental Confession, GO!! Too many put that off at great
              risk and harm to themselves.]

              What keeps us chained to our dirty secrets is lack of faith, lack of
              trust: no one will love me if they know this, not God, not anyone.
              Well, the ending verses of Psalm 31(32) deal quite neatly with this
              falsehood:

              "Many sorrows have the wicked, but those who trust in the Lord,
              loving mercy surrounds them. Rejoice, rejoice in the Lord, exult, you
              just! O come, ring out your joy, all you upright of heart!" (Ps.
              31:10-11)

              Not only does God forgive, but the guilty one now freed is accounted
              as among the just and the upright of heart, without any further ado.
              Now THAT is Divine Mercy! No heart is more full of such infinite
              mercy than the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Trust Him!

              Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in You. Jesus, meek and
              humble of Heart, make our hearts like unto Yours.