Holy Rule for Oct. 3

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2004

      A joyous feast of Blessed Columba Marmion, OSB, to all! A further joy today is that Austria's last Emperor, Karl I, is being beatified in Rome. I will send you all a brief biography of him later. It is so remarkable that a world leader in the 20th century should be on the way to sainthood. (Alas that is IS remarkable!) He was called the People's Emperor and the Peace Emperor, died in 1922.

      Prayers, please, for Norman, exploratory surgery for lump on his neck. Prayers of thanks for M., for whom we prayed, her cancer tests went well, but she is still waiting for the news, so continued prayers for her and her family. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      The fifth degree of humility
      is that he hide from his Abbot none of the evil thoughts
      that enter his heart
      or the sins committed in secret,
      but that he humbly confess them.
      The Scripture urges us to this when it says,
      "Reveal your way to the Lord and hope in Him" (Ps. 36:5)
      and again,
      "Confess to the Lord, for He is good,
      for His mercy endures forever" (Ps. 105:1).
      And the Prophet likewise says,
      "My offense I have made known to You,
      and my iniquities I have not covered up.
      I said: 'I will declare against myself my iniquities to the Lord;'
      and 'You forgave the wickedness of my heart'" (Ps. 31:5).

      REFLECTION

      As the saying goes, friendship doubles our joy and divides our grief.
      There's something to that, something we all know and demonstrate when
      something pleases us so much that we just can't wait to tell someone
      else about it. Unfortunately, we don't often show the same eagerness
      when something is wrong. Granted, our sorrows and griefs may be
      shared, but often our most treacherous wounds and illnesses are not.
      Neither are we particularly eager to let our areas of ignorance show.

      Few things can be more pathetic (or more frustrating to those who
      love them!) than a patient's refusal to tell the doctor that
      something is wrong out of some misguided fear. "I was afraid he'd
      tell me it was cancer�." Well, he might have, and it might be, but if
      he doesn't know, he cannot treat it in time and it is a nearly
      certain death sentence. Beyond that, what a waste it is for all the
      times we left things untreated out of fears that were totally
      unfounded!

      So it is with the spiritual life, the monastic struggle, and even
      with 12 step recovery programs. Our wounds must be exposed and shared
      if they are to heal. I can say from personal experience that, at some
      of the worst crisis times in my own vocation, I resolutely kept my
      mouth shut. Part of that was stupidly not wishing to upset anybody,
      but another part was afraid that if I did, they'd help! God got me
      through those times. Apparently He insisted on doing so, because He
      got precious little help from me.

      For heaven's sake- literally- if you belong to a Church that has a tradition
      sacramental Confession, GO! Christ left us that sacrament for a reason,
      not out of whimsy or folly. He had too short a public life to fritter His time
      away and leave us non-essentials. Confession is a necessary and very
      effective medicine! Go!

      Pick whichever popular image you wish for the monastery, school of
      the Lord's service or hospital, but neither of them are going to be
      much good if you are unwilling to let anyone know what you need to
      learn or what ails you. Face it, apart from their primary goals of
      education and healing, neither school nor hospital has much to offer
      in the way of a vacation resort. We come here because we ARE unwise
      and unwell. Pretending otherwise is a huge disservice to ourselves.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2005

        Today is not only the feast of our own Benedictine, Blessed Columba Marmion, but also that of Blessed Francis Xavier Seelos, a Redemptorist Father who lived the last years of his ministry in New Orleans. He died after an earlier New Orleans tragedy: the Yellow Fever epidemic of 1867. He contracted the disease from tending to the sick. He would be an excellent intercessor to pray for the troubled folks in New Orleans and throughout the hurricane region, so ask him to help!

        Prayers for Father Tim Vakok, still having a long and slow recovery from wounds he received while a chaplain in Iraq. Prayers, too, for peace of heart for Shirley. Prayers for the students of the Venerable English College in Rome and for their librarian, who receives these reflections, Sr. Mary Joseph. May she help all her boys on their way to the altar of God! Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        Neither are we particularly eager to let our weakest areas show.

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006

          Huge Deo gratias: the young mother for whom we prayed, whose hemorrhaging
          after delivery of her first child resulted in a hysterectomy, has awakened form
          her coma and is asking for her child. She is still very ill, so continued
          prayers, but it looks as if she might recover. There is a chance she has
          suffered some small strokes, too, so prayers ongoing for her and her baby and all
          their family. Deo gratias, Nancy, whose happy death we prayed for, has gone to
          God, prayers for her eternal rest and for her family and all who mourn her.

          Prayers for Irene, her cancer has returned aggressively after many
          treatments have been tried, and for Donna, her daughter who cares for her and all
          their family. Prayers for Amanda, 19, comatose after severe spinal injuries in a
          car wreck, full extent of her injuries as yet unknown, and for Katayan, her
          Muslim friend who asked one of our readers for prayers. Prayers for the folks
          who treat all of our prayer intention people spiritually or physically, God
          guide and reward them all. Prayers for Anna, and many others in the Katrina
          region: her rent is being tripled, owing to insurance costs post-Katrina, and
          there are many, many folks in this predicament. Prayers for them all. So many
          are being forced to leave lifelong homes. Lord, help us all as You know and
          Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          but another part was afraid that if I did say something, they'd help! God

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 2, 2007

            Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Maggie, who took her own life, and for the 3 year old daughter and grieving husband and friends she left behind.

            Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat or care for them:

            Toni, post-op from cancer sugery, now in chemo.

            Diana and Jay, in a transition and asking prayers for the Lord's will and direction.

            Ann and her family needs prayers. Her mother may have pneumonia or congestive heart failure, one daughter just back to work after pnemonia and another daughter whose problems seem to be getting worse.

            Deo gratias and thanksgiving: Mary Frances, for whom we prayed, passed her Real Estate license exam. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL