Holy Rule for Oct. 1

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 1, 2004

      Prayers, please, for the repose of the soul of Dorothy, whom we prayed for yesterday; she has died. Prayers, too, for Josephine, on chemo for liver cancer and very weak, needing blood transfusion, and for her sister and all her family. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      January 31, June 1, October 1
      Chapter 7: On Humility

      The third degree of humility is that a person
      for love of God
      submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
      imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
      "He became obedient even unto death."

      REFLECTION

      Merton once wrote "Love is the the Rule." That's what we can so often
      miss. One obeys out of love, love of God. Trust my limited experience
      here, please, there is no human being on earth whose tool kit is so
      complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
      reserve or hesitation, not one.

      We do it for love, not for wisdom. We do it for love, not for taste
      or class or savoir faire. We do it for love, not because the superior
      is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We don't do it because of
      the superior at all, if we are going about things the right way. We
      do it for love, for love of God.

      Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
      face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
      within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
      and outright crap that nothing else could sustain one other than love
      of God.

      When one is younger, one can often play "Father or Mother knows
      best." (Superiors who are control freaks love and encourage this
      ploy, even as a life script. Not wise...) That's not the point and it
      doesn't work for long either.

      Mother or Father often quite pointedly know nothing at all. The will
      of God comes through to us in spite of them, not because they are
      wise or stupid, but because of love, God's love for us. Many, many
      people in the church do the will of God for reasons that have nothing
      to do with God!

      They do it unwittingly, they may do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but
      that hardly matters. I think there is a mystical point where the love
      and will of God for one cannot ultimately be thwarted, where it is
      actually advanced by humans who have not a clue what they are doing.
      We do it for love, and that love will shield us, regardless, in the
      armor of His will.

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 1, 2005

        Prayers, please, for Nan, faced with some very important decisions, also for Parina, who injured her shoulder and has had to go into a nursing home for a while, and for Robert, her son and all her family. Prayers for John and Vanessa, who lost their 10 month old son, Henry, in a tragic accident at day care facility, for their extended family and for all involved. Prayers and thanks and Deo gratias: Bibbs, the cat we prayed for, does not have cancer and his owners are so relieved and grateful for the prayers of all. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        January 31, June 1, October 1
        Chapter 7: On Humility

        The third degree of humility is that a person
        for love of God
        submit himself to his Superior in all obedience,
        imitating the Lord, of whom the Apostle says,
        "He became obedient even unto death."

        REFLECTION

        Merton once wrote "Love is the the Rule." That's what we can so often
        miss. One obeys out of love, love of God. Trust my limited experience
        here, please, there is no human being on earth whose tool kit is so
        complete that one can joyously follow and obey them without any
        reserve or hesitation, not one. On a purely human level, that would be
        most unwise. But we are not dealing with a human level here.

        We do follow without hesitation, but we do it for love, not for wisdom.
        We do it for love, not for taste or class or savoir faire. We do it for love,
        not because the superior is brilliant or right or gifted in any way. We
        don't do it because of the superior at all, if we are going about things
        the right way. Our obedience must be consistent, as must our faith, no
        matter who is in charge. We do it for love, for love of God.

        Anything less than love of God as a motive will fall flat on its
        face, and sooner rather than later! It never takes long. Life itself,
        within the cloister or without, is full of so much purblind stupidity
        and outright rubbish that nothing else could sustain one other than love
        of God. None but God can guarantee one's safety in holiness
        in the midst of such a situation. It truly is Him we obey.

        When one is younger, one can often play "Father or Mother knows
        best." (Superiors who are control freaks may love and encourage this
        ploy, even as a life script. Not wise...) That's not the point and it
        usually doesn't work for long either.

        Mother or Father sometimes quite pointedly know nothing at all. The will
        of God comes through to us in spite of them, not because they are
        wise or stupid, but because of love, God's love for us and for them. Many,
        many people in the church do the will of God for reasons that have nothing
        to do with God!

        They do it unwittingly, they may even do it cruelly or wrong-headedly, but
        that hardly matters. I think there is a mystical point where the love
        and will of God for one cannot ultimately be thwarted, where it is
        actually advanced by humans who have not a clue what they are doing.
        We do it for love, and that love will shield us, regardless, in the
        armor of His will and of His infinite Divine Mercy which surrounds us.
        Trust Him!

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 30, 2006

          Prayer requests, with prayer in subject line to: _brjeromeleo@..._
          (mailto:brjeromeleo@...)

          Please pray for a young Canadian husband & father who is writing a thesis
          for a Canon Law degree. He's feeling a bit overwhelmed and would appreciate
          some prayers for guidance and inspiration in his work. Prayers for Adrian,
          numerous delays and long waiting for a total hip replacement, now scheduled for
          early 2007. Please pray for the intentions of the Joslyn Ave. Presbyterian
          Church and the staff of Cranbrook Hospice and know that they continue to pray for
          us and our intentions. They would like to be regular prayer partners in all
          our intentions. Prayers for a lovely lady whose mind is slipping badly, but
          who turned 75 this week, also for her very devoted and loving husband and her
          equally devoted sibling, both thanking God she is in their lives. Lord, help
          us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is

          _jeromeleo@..._
          4eKtOmjEPh)

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 30, 2007

            Prayers, please, for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and all who treat or care for them:

            A. and a painful family situation, lots of grace needed.

            Nancy, mid-80's, hip replacement.

            Sabrina, relapse in her drug addiction after some successful time of sobriety, may God fill her life and call er back to himself

            Carol, and for her high school students she teaches, many of whom have very tough lives. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL