Holy Rule for Sept. 27

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 27, 2004

      Prayers, please, for private intention for someone dear, a tough day today, and for all who, alas, contributed to its toughness. Prayers, too, for Fr. Paul and his wife, he has cancer, also for Joan and Gordon and a return to the faith for their son, Evan, for Joseph, discernment of vocation in life, and for his Mom. For Nancy and Robert, their newborn, Henry, has some serious heart problems, and for Cheryl, awaiting the birth of her new grandson, for his parents and all the family. For Bob, liver biopsy and Jane, facing two back surgeries, also for Br. Ivo, St. Meinrad Archabbey, who died yesterday.

      Special prayers for all our Vincents on their feastday, and for St. Vincent Archabbey, for our own Br. Vincent here and Fr. Vincent (+1980) of St. Leo. I also add a Sr. M. Vincent, now deceased, who suffered from depression virtually ALL of her long religious life, decades on end. What an example to many of us. Pray for her and may she pray for us!! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      Let a man consider
      that God is always looking at him from heaven,
      that his actions are everywhere visible to the divine eyes
      and are constantly being reported to God by the Angels.
      This is what the Prophet shows us
      when he represents God as ever present within our thoughts,
      in the words "Searcher of minds and hearts is God" (Ps. 7:10)
      and again in the words "The Lord knows the thoughts of men" (Ps.
      93:11).
      Again he says,
      "You have read my thoughts from afar" (Ps. 138:3)
      and "The thoughts of people will confess to You" (Ps. 75:11).

      In order that he may be careful
      about his wrongful thoughts, therefore,
      let the faithful brother say constantly in his heart,
      "Then shall I be spotless before Him,
      if I have kept myself from my iniquity" (Ps. 17:24).

      REFLECTION

      One of the things I always wanted to get for Dame Maggie, my late
      cat, was a bird feeder that I saw. Picture an air conditioner put in
      a window backwards, with the protrusion inside. It was like that, but
      rather like an aquarium made of one way mirrors. The birds, all
      unwitting, came INSIDE to dine in that mirrored cube and I'll bet she
      would have loved it. Alas, the price was out of the question.

      Ah, how like those birds we are! Unfortunately, we CAN afford the
      cubes of mirrored walls all to easily: we create them ourselves, with
      our own illusions and ignorance and forgetfulness. We live and move
      in the falsity that we are unobserved. We forget altogether that God
      and His angels see us in every moment, in every place.

      Ever look over your shoulder to see if the boss was around? Ever
      relax because your parent or spouse was gone to the store and you had
      at least an hour of privacy? Most of us have. Kids behave differently
      (a LOT differently!!) when the teacher is out of the classroom or has
      turned away from them. We are conditioned to monitor our behavior
      according to who is or is not present.

      The trouble with God (if one dares put it that way,) is that He is
      always in the office, never leaves the classroom or turns His back
      and never goes to the store. Faced with that truth, we defend
      ourselves with the only foolish thing we have left: forgetful denial.
      Well, sorry, beloveds, I don't care how good it may feel, even to me,
      but it is false.

      He doesn't leave. He's always there. The spiritual world is all about us
      at every second, every instant. We just would rather not credit the
      fact, but that in no way makes it otherwise. It's a big mistake to
      think of the omnipresence of God as outdated, as something that
      happened "back then" but not now. That omnipresence never changes.

      As the poet Francis Thompson put it:

      "The angels keep their ancient places,
      Turn but a stone and start a wing!
      'Tis we, 'tis our estranged faces
      That miss the many splendored thing."

      Now, what is all this doing in a chapter on humility? Easy! We can be
      proud if we think we are not found out. The child who deals with a
      teacher who hasn't seen is a VERY different kid from the one who has
      been caught! We HAVE to be humble if we admit we have been caught. We
      have to remind ourselves that nothing happens in secret and, having
      said that, that our track record is hardly so sterling as the one we
      would like to present to the world. Humility is truth, truth is the
      correct accordance of the mind with reality. And the reality is that
      we all fall regularly!

      Ever hear married or partnered folks talk about things they quit
      doing when no longer single? They thought they were alone before!
      Ever have the illusion of privacy yourself, like just before shower
      with the door firmly closed. Ha! Thought you were alone, didn't you?
      Sigh... it is so deep in us!

      Now, look, this is not to get you crazy about video cameras in every
      place. (Look how used we are to them, in fact!) The whole purpose
      here is just to get us more in tune with reality and the reality is
      that we could always be better. So there comes conversion of manners,
      that other Benedictine vow: we must never stop striving to be better.
      Face it, m'dears, we live and move and have our being in the banquet
      hall of the greatest King, whether we credit that or not, it is so.

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 27, 2005

        Prayers, please, for St. Vincent Archabbey, Sr. Vincent, Fr. Vincent , our Br. Vincent and all our Vincents on their feast day.

        Prayers for Adam, trying to understand a theological distinction that is troubling him, and for Christopher and his wife and family, heavily burdened with raising and home schooling their six children. Tough time just now... Prayers for Don and his Mom, a significant meeting for them today. Prayers for a safe journey home for our Abbot, flying back to Scotland today. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        have to remind ourselves that nothing happens in secret and that our track

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006

          Prayers for Fr. Vincent, Br. Vincent, St. Vincent Archabbey and all our
          Vincents on their feastday. Ad multos annos and many graces and blessings.

          Prayers for Ramona, ruptured intestine corrected by surgery, but in a great
          deal of pain, for Marie, her great niece, who asked for prayers and for all
          her family. Prayers for a woman whose four year old grandson drowned in the
          family pool, for his parents and all their family. May God cradle the little one
          and cradle those left behind, too. Prayers for all addicts and their
          on-going struggles to remain sober, from whatever addiction plagues them.

          Prayers for all Muslims beginning Ramadan, all Jews during their high
          holidays of Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah and for all Christians, too: may all our
          religions lead us to peace with each other. Prayers for Charlie, Alzheimer's,
          diabetes and now congestive heart failure, and for Dorothy, his wife and all
          their family. Prayers for David, his Mom and all her family. She was having a
          very difficult recovery from a hip replacement when a 6 weeks' check-up
          revealed a fracture in the replacement hip, now she faces another surgery. Very
          discouraging for a woman frustrated at being homebound in the first place.
          Lots of prayers for her. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is
[...]

          Well, sorry, beloveds, that denial gives us no "privacy" from God,
          it is false, totally false.

          He doesn't leave. He's always there. The spiritual world is all about us
          at every second, every instant. Sometimes we would rather not credit the

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 26, 2007

            Prayers for Fr. Vincent, Br. Vincent, St. Vincent's Archabbey and all our Vincents on their feastday. May St. Vincent de Pal inspire us all with a deeper love of God and His poor.

            Prayers for the will of God regarding the situation with monks and soldiers in Burma.

            Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for all their loved ones and for all who care for them:

            Christopher, 27, in the advanced stages of cardiomyopathy. He will need a heart transplant.

            Continued prayers for Bernice, her problem is worsening, also for Marie still in need of prayer.

            Anne, recovering from an operation.

            Tony, young father of three, surgery for thyroid cancer and not doing well. Radiation set for 6-8 weeks from now and he really needs to get back to work to support his financially stressed family.

            Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent praise Him. Thanks so much. JL