Holy Rule for Sept. 26

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 26, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Elizabeth, bringing home her newly adopted baby from China, and for all those poor folks in Florida and the Caribbean who have been so beat up this hurricane season, some of the former going through the mess of their fourth storm today. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      The first degree of humility, then,
      is that a person keep the fear of God before his eyes
      and beware of ever forgetting it.
      Let him be ever mindful of all that God has commanded;
      let his thoughts constantly recur
      to the hell-fire which will burn for their sins
      those who despise God,
      and to the life everlasting which is prepared
      for those who fear Him.
      Let him keep himself at every moment from sins and vices,
      whether of the mind, the tongue, the hands, the feet,
      or the self-will,
      and check also the desires of the flesh.

      REFLECTION

      Wow! Fearing God and hell-fire! It's a safe bet that this chapter was
      not the darling of the 1970's! But, if we look at it properly,
      there's nothing to get upset about here.

      God is perfect Unity, He is totally of a whole. He is all He is at
      once and utterly. Human beings, on the other hand, have minds that
      are finite and cannot wrap their intellects around such an perfectly
      holistic God without problems. One of those problems is what seem to
      us to be contradictions in God: His total, absolute Justice and His
      unfathomable, infinite Divine Mercy. Since we have a hard time
      figuring out both at once, we have a tendency to let one cancel out
      the other. God, to many, is either ALL hell-fire and dread or ALL
      pushover and cuddly.

      Sorry, folks, but the nature of heresy is to take a real part of the
      truth and make it ALL of the truth, the only truth. Foul up the
      delicate balance here and you are in deep trouble. Face it, God's
      perfections don't seem to trouble Him any- perfection shouldn't,
      after all- so why should they get us hung up? Deep breath, lots of
      faith and let's go on...

      God is all at once, God is perfect, God does not change. OK, fine.
      But we change, time in which we are immersed changes, has to change.
      It is the nature of things. hence, our convergences with God occur at
      different times, points and conditions. The whole equation changes,
      not because God changes, but because we do and must. Stop and think,
      the encounter between God and one lost in sin is different from the
      same person encountering God after years of conversion. The encounter
      between a living soul and one after death is different, not because
      God is, but because we are.

      We see different Persons of the Trinity predominant in different ages
      of salvation history. Might we not just as safely assume that
      different attributes of God predominate at different times in His
      dealings with us? Anyone who has lived any length of time at all with
      God can tell you that aridity and tenderness, loving kindness and
      seeming absence, joy and seriosity play off each other singly or in
      groups, like light dancing through the kaleidoscopes of our soul's
      broken glass and shattered gems. The pattern is always changing. All
      the elements are always there, but they are constantly regrouping,
      forming new and dare one say hardly boring designs!

      So, always try to remember that WE are the kaleidoscopes and that the
      Light shining through them does not change, even though our scattered
      bits may reflect it differently, to ourselves and to others. The
      justice is always there, but so is the mercy. We can choose either.

      Jesus told St. Faustina that now, in this life, is the time for
      mercy, which will never, ever be denied a soul. Dump that chance in
      this life and justice will be what you deal with in the next. It
      seems simplistically harsh, but it isn't. We are swimming, all but
      drowning in a sea of infinite mercy right now. If we leave that sea,
      we will wind up on the shore of justice, not a happy prospect and
      easily avoided. All we have to do is embrace His mercy now.

      God is not itching to nail us, eager to condemn. But we can tie His
      hands- thanks to free will we are the only creatures who can do so!
      We can insist on justice by rejecting His mercy. Not a smart move,
      beloveds!

      None of us dares to be so foolhardy as to risk standing
      before God on our merits alone. None of us is so nearly perfect as to
      wisely gamble in that respect. Without grace and the saving act of
      Christ, no person could stand alone with any hope of winning.

      God is merciful, but not dumb, just, but not unreasonable. His mercy
      and justice are part of a whole, they both perfectly reflect and
      employ His love. What changes is not God, but us. What changes is our
      willingness to accept or reject His overtures at any given moments.

      So, yeah, God is watching us all the time. But also, yeah, God
      forgives us the second we turn to him and trust in his mercy. God
      knows we aren't perfect, so He isn't surprised that we fall.

      We, on the other hand, can be distressingly wrong about how perfect
      we are! Our falls shock us badly, because we have so little humility.
      Think there might be a connection there about God doing or using all
      things to further His will? Our very falls teach us humility that we
      sorely lack!

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 26, 2005

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias. Ed and his wife, for whom we prayed some time ago, have resolved the marriage problem that troubled them. As we thank God for them, let us remember to pray for all married couples, that God fill their vocations with grace and love. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        holistic God without problems. One such problem is what seems to
[...]

        We see different Persons of the Trinity as predominant in different ages
        of salvation history. Might we not just as safely assume that
        different attributes of God predominate at different times in His
        dealings with us? Anyone who has lived any length of time at all with
        God can tell you that aridity and tenderness, loving kindness and
        seeming absence, joy and seriosity play off each other singly or in
        groups, like light dancing through the kaleidoscopes of our soul's
        broken glass and shattered gems. The pattern is always changing. All
        the elements are always there, but they are constantly regrouping,
        forming new and dare one say hardly boring designs!

        So, always try to remember that WE are the kaleidoscopes and that the
        Light shining through them does not change, even though our scattered,
        shattered bits may reflect it differently, to ourselves and to others. The
[...]

        sorely lack! And when we are struggling to get us after such a fall,
        scraped bruised and bleeding, His infinite Love for us swells to dizzying
        heights of which we cannot even dream!

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 26, 2006

          FOR SOME REASON, NONE OF THE YAHOO LISTS TOOK THE POST LAST NIGHT. Sorry. JL

          Prayer requests, with prayer in subject to:

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Abbot Alfred of Pluscarden,
          whose death anniversary was yesterday.

          Huge Deo gratias and prayers of thanks, Barb's Mom, 93, is recovering very
          nicely from her hip replacement. Prayers for Fr. Art, diagnosed with leukemia
          several months ago, having a bone marrow transplant on Friday. Prayers for
          Yossi, entering Holy Cross Monastery in Chicago today, formally beginning
          postulancy on Friday. Deo gratias and every grace! Prayers for all who take their
          own lives. Prayers for Gary, a spot on his lung is being further
          investigated.
          Prayers for Pat, one of our readers, who has entered Our Lady of the Rock
          Monastery, Shaw Island, Washington. The house is a dependent monastery of Regina
          Laudis Abbey in Connecticut. Prayers for Millie and her husband, and prayers
          of thanks for a marriage rediscovered.

          Prayers for the conversion of Eli, on death row in South Dakota. Prayers for
          seven different folks who badly need to return to the Sacraments, God will
          fill in the blanks! Prayers for a safe and happy vacation for Michael and his
          wife. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is

          The first degree of humility, then,
          is that a person keep the fear of God before his eyes
          and beware of ever forgetting it.
          Let him be ever mindful of all that God has commanded;
          let his thoughts constantly recur
          to the hell-fire which will burn for their sins
          those who despise God,
          and to the life everlasting which is prepared
          for those who fear Him.
          Let him keep himself at every moment from sins and vices,
          whether of the mind, the tongue, the hands, the feet,
          or the self-will,
          and check also the desires of the flesh.
          REFLECTION
          Few things punch people's buttons like the phrase "fear of God." It is
          widely misunderstood and commonly taken in its most unappealing sense. A recent
          poll in the United States showed that an overwhelming majority of folks
          believed in God, but that an alarmingly high number thought He was a rather
          demanding Judge and taskmaster. How very sad! Perhaps a skewed understanding of the
          concept of the fear of God has gone a long way to making folks feel that way.
          There is a very big difference between fearing to offend a touchy, nasty,
          ill-tempered scoundrel and fearing to offend one we love deeply. Most people,
          quite unflatteringly, assume the fear of God is of the first variety. It
          isn't. It is the fear of offending One we love, One Who deserves nothing shoddy or
          half-hearted from us. When I love someone my heart breaks if I hurt or upset
          them, I would never do so intentionally and even unintentional gaffs upset
          me because they upset the one I love. It is this sort of "fear" that we need
          to cultivate in regards to God.
          This loving fear requires all the mindfulness and care and vigilance
          mentioned in this reading for reasons altogether different than terror. It demands
          them because of love, the same loving fear a mother has of failing to protect
          her child from harm or hurt. It is the lover's fear, not the fear of the
          terrorized, cowering, scared-to-death slave of an unjust master. It is the fear
          of a son or daughter who would never want to disappoint a beloved father or
          mother. We don't fear God because He's mean, we fear Him because He isn't,
          because He is so wonderful that nothing would be worse than to displease Him.
          To be sure, a lot of folks fear God in the scary way at square one. That's
          not surprising. But "perfect love casts out fear," so, in the natural order of
          things, as our love grows more perfect, our fear of the terror sort
          diminishes, changes, grows into the lover's fear. It may not go entirely until we
          know perfect love, but it is a great pity if it is not well on its way out. When
          we find ourselves considerably beyond square one and trembling with the
          awful fear, we do a great disservice to the kindness and love of God, to His
          infinite mercy. Where is our trust?
          St. Claude de la Colombiere, spiritual director of St. Margaret Mary
          Alacoque and great promoter of the Sacred Heart revelations given to her, also
          corresponded with a Benedictine abbess. This abbess had been elected at far too
          young an age (20!!!) and later becoming aware of her failings, was despairing
          over all her sins and faults. St. Claude firmly rebuked her and said: "One
          would think that you had never heard of God or His infinite mercy...[R]emember
          that all the evil you have done is as nothing in comparison with that which
          you do by failing in confidence."
          That is a striking statement, but very true. Our right-minded fear of God
          never, ever forgets His love or mercy or tenderness. Never.

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 25, 2007

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Rachel, a college student who died of bacterial menningitis, and for all the family and friends she leaves behind.

            Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Cyn, whose car epairs turned out to be much less involved than they could have been.

            Prayers for Ana and Dominic, being married this Saturday, and for safe travel for John and Anne, going to Spain to be at the wedding.

            Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, for their loved ones and for all who treat or care for them:

            Doug, persistent tiredness for several months impacting his life badly and tests so far inconclusive.

            Tom, newly diagnosed with prostate cancer, and for his worried son.

            Barbara, 46, rapidly spreading cancer, tough time with her chemo, prayers, too, for her adoptive Mom and the happy death and eternal rest of her biological Mom, who died some years ago, near the same age, from cancer.

            Dawn, partial mastectomy, but a bad pathology report led to a full mastectomy.Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL