Holy Rule for Sept. 20

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 20, 2004

      A Ben update and thanks for those who asked and all who have helped with prayers and gifts. Deo gratias! No amputation necessary. The finger will be immobile, but he is doing well. Still has quite a bit of healing to do, so keep those prayers coming. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      To fear the Day of Judgment.
      To be in dread of hell.
      To desire eternal life with all the passion of the spirit.
      To keep death daily before one's eyes.
      To keep constant guard over the actions of one's life.
      To know for certain that God sees one everywhere.
      When evil thoughts come into one's heart, to dash them against Christ
      immediately.
      And to manifest them to one's spiritual mother.
      To guard one's tongue against evil and depraved speech.
      Not to love much talking.
      Not to speak useless words or words that move to laughter.
      Not to love much or boisterous laughter.
      To listen willingly to holy reading.
      To devote oneself frequently to prayer.
      Daily in one's prayers, with tears and sighs, to confess one's past
      sins to God, and to amend them for the future.
      Not to fulfill the desires of the flesh; to hate one's own will.
      To obey in all things the commands of the Abbess, even though she
      herself (which God forbid) should act otherwise, mindful of the
      Lord's precept, "Do what they say, but not what they do."
      Not to wish to be called holy before one is holy; but first to be
      holy, that one may be truly so called.

      REFLECTION

      Different instruments of good works push our buttons- that in itself
      should be something of a clue to self-discovery. Usually what pushes
      one's buttons for good or ill is worth examining a bit. However, we
      can also have very selective eyes and it is sometimes even more
      useful to go back to the parts we skimmed quickly and ran past. Most
      people would love to have a lengthy discussion on laughter and the
      Holy Rule at this point, but I'm not going there.

      I'm going to a point that is often ignored completely: the existence
      of hell. Now, bear in mind that I write from a point as close to
      universalism (the notion that all people will go to heaven,) as one
      can possibly come and remain a Catholic. I believe in hell, but I
      hope to find it empty. Neither I nor anyone who hopes to escape hell
      themselves can want or will ANYONE to be there. It would be so
      wonderful to find hell empty. What joy!

      However, a bit of realism that looms closer to objectivity than
      subjectivity is in order here. I hate to tell you that, although I
      clearly must have made it into the last round of interviews, I did
      NOT get the job of Arbiter of the Universe, Cosmos and All That Is.
      No one else did, either. That's God's and God's alone. Hence, what we
      WISH would be or would LIKE to see or even HOPE to see is not quite
      as definitive as we might think. Wishful thinking may be warm and
      cuddly, but it is rather shoddy theology.

      Hell is real, it exists. Given the track record of human beings alive
      in embracing God, it is not altogether foolish to assume that some of
      those billions throughout time died at war with God and insisted on
      staying that way. Heartbreaking, yes, but not unlikely.

      Jesus Himself speaks of hell, and if one wishes to posit that He was
      mistaken or wrong, a whole kettle of fish that will not end in
      Christianity or Christ's divinity ensues. In spite of what many of us
      hope, that all suffering is taken care of in this life, He speaks of
      hell and He speaks of it as eternal. One must assume He knew what He
      was dealing with...

      Private revelation is hardly normative, but when it does not
      contradict Scripture or tradition or the living voice of the Church
      it can be at least elucidating. Numerous mystics have had visions of
      hell. Much to my regret, none of them so far has reported it to be
      empty, either. Nope, there WAS a population of sorts. Not terribly
      consoling.

      On the other hand, and VERY consoling, is yet another private revelation,
      that of our Lord to St. Faustina. He said that no one goes to hell unless
      they really want to, insist upon it. Now THAT is comforting!!! While some
      conceivably might do that, it makes the choice far less likely. She also
      wrote that, at the moment of death, Christ floods the soul and heart with such
      a deluge of grace that, if the door to the heart is open only a crack, the
      Lord will triumph. A soul could resist, but only with great difficulty. Deo
      gratias!!

      So, what is this all about? Well, for starters, do all you can to
      ensure that you don't go there!! But that is not enough. Pray, pray,
      pray for sinners, for the conversion of all, for the dying, for those
      without faith.

      We have seen again and again that prayer DOES change things, even
      when the object of our prayers does not know they are being prayed
      for! That is a mystery. We do not understand how it works, but it
      works! Get busy! When we appear before the Judgement seat it will not
      hurt at ALL to have a truckload of souls to our credit! Acquire a
      hunger for souls; that is appropriate to all, not just clergy or
      monastics. It is the mark of a loving Christian faith.

      We know that mercy is infinite and unfathomable, the greatest
      attribute of God. But we also know that free will and free will alone
      can thwart that mercy by rejection. God respects free will
      absolutely.

      However, and this is just a personal opinion of one who really
      doesn't know how prayer works, I have a suspicion that God DOES allow
      our prayer to somehow affect free will. I feel that there must be
      some human element here that we will never know or understand
      till heaven, if then!

      Prayer DOES change things, and some of those things are stubborn
      human hearts and minds and wills! One of the most wonderful aspects
      of this hypothesis is that God perhaps allows us to go where even He
      can't go for the salvation of all. Now THAT is not shabby!

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 20, 2005

        Prayers, please, for Bibsie, newly diagnosed with breast cancer and for all her family and her best friend, Frieda. Prayers for Ginnie, years of prescription drug abuse, now seriously ill with brain lesions and lung involvement, with other systemic complications, as well. Prayers that her family can forgive and rally around her, as she has broken many relationships. Brain biopsy performed yesterday. Prayers for a 16 year old who attempted suicide by slashing her wrists and for all her family.

        A few years ago, we prayed for Felicia, burned to death in mysterious circumstances while her parents, Tim and Ilya, were on vacation. Now her former boyfriend has been charged with arson and murder and her parents have a long trial to face, opening wounds anew. For all of them: Felicia's happy death and eternal rest, her parents strength and courage and ability to forgive, and for the repentance and conversion of her murderer. Prayers, too, for Lucia, severe knee problems and pain are keeping her awake at night and impacting her life severely. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        Hell is real, it exists. Given the track record of living human beings
[...]

        [On a hopeful note here, those visions might have been a bit more like
        "screen savers" showing the mystic what hell would be like if there
        WERE souls in it. We simply do not know.]

        On the other hand, and VERY consoling, is yet another private revelation,
        that of our Lord to St. Faustina. He said that no one goes to hell unless
        they really want to and insist upon it. Now THAT is comforting!!! While some
        conceivably might do that, it makes the choice far less likely. She also
        wrote that, at the moment of death, Christ floods the soul and heart with such
        a deluge of grace that, if the door to the heart is open only a crack, the
        Lord will triumph. A soul could resist, but only with great difficulty. Deo
        gratias!!

        So, what is this all about? Well, for starters, do all you can to
        ensure that you don't go there!! But that is not enough. Pray, pray,
        pray for sinners, for the conversion of all, for the dying, for those
        without faith.

        We have seen again and again that prayer DOES change things, even
        when the objects of our prayers do not know they are being prayed

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 19, 2006

          Prayer requests, with Prayer in subject to: _brjeromeleo@..._
          (mailto:brjeromeleo@...)

          Prayers, please, for Abbot Philip Berning, 91, of St. Gregory Abbey,
          Shawnee, Oklahoma, recovering from hip replacement surgery. (Elected in 1953, he is
          the most senior living Abbot in the American Cassinese Congregation. He has
          been retired since 1970.)

          Deo gratias and thanks: Will, for whom we have prayed, is getting along
          great after a successful bone marrow transplant. His friend,Matthew, 10, whom you
          have been praying for has gone home to God. He had so much cancer and such
          fast moving disease. Prayers for his happy death, eternal rest and for his
          parents and all his family and all who mourn him. Prayers for Bob, who has
          been diagnosed with an inoperable, fast-growing brain tumor. He starts
          radiation and chemo this week, but the prognosis is not very good. Prayers for Lois
          for whom we've prayed before.. She has very bad back and leg pain. She has
          had three epidurals, the last one of which seemed to help some. Prayers for
          Bp. Basil, seriously ill after eating some possibly tainted spinach, lots of
          gastric and abdominal distress.

          Prayers for Celine, 37, never had surgery before and scheduled for back
          surgery on the 26th. She is understandably apprehensive, may God fill her with
          calm. Prayers, too, for Rueben and Almita, her parents. Prayers for all those
          who treat and care for our prayer folks, spiritually and physically. May God
          reward them and guide their hands and hearts!

          Prayers for one being received into the Roman Catholic Church on Oct. 9.

[...]

          that of our Lord to St. Faustina. She said that no one goes to hell unless
[...]

          doesn't know how prayer works, I have a suspicion that maybe God
          DOES allow our prayers to somehow affect free will. I feel that there may be
          some human element here that we will never know or understand
          till heaven, if then!

          Prayer DOES change things. Maybe some of those things are stubborn

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 19, 2007

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following and for all their families and those who mourn them:

            a Phoenix, Arizona plic officer, killed in the line of duty and for the man who shot him, who also died, prayers for an end to the street violence there, often involving youths.

            Terribly sad prayers for Devin, 2, and his Mom. When she admitted to her husband that Devin was not his biologically, the man beat the child to death. Prayers, too, for the conversion and repentance of the husband.

            Prayers for Viviene, working under an overload of heavy pressure in high powered position, work that normally would be given to two. Vivieene has now applied for a new position.

            Prayers for Deanna and her son; he has been sent to Iraq, and for all Armed Forces members there and all in harm's way. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL