Holy Rule for Sept. 19

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 19, 2004

      Sorry to be SOOOO late today. Power was off all day in Petersham, we know not why!

      Prayers, please for Fr. John Freston, post hip surgery in hospital, prayers, too, for Emma, stuck in a marriage with an abusive husband, for her daughter and all her family, and for her husband, that he be converted from his abusive ways. Prayers, for A., please, questions of faith. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      January 19, May 20, September 19
      Chapter 4: What Are the Instruments
      of Good Works

      Not to give way to anger.
      Not to nurse a grudge.
      Not to entertain deceit in one's heart.
      Not to give a false peace.
      Not to forsake charity.
      Not to swear, for fear of perjuring oneself.
      To utter truth from heart and mouth.
      Not to return evil for evil.
      To do no wrong to anyone, and to bear patiently wrongs done to
      oneself.
      To love one's enemies.
      Not to curse those who curse us, but rather to bless them.
      To bear persecution for justice' sake.
      Not to be proud.
      Not addicted to wine.
      Not a great eater.
      Not drowsy.
      Not lazy.
      Not a grumbler.
      Not a detractor.
      To put one's hope in God.
      To attribute to God, and not to self, whatever good one sees in
      oneself.
      But to recognize always that the evil is one's own doing, and to
      impute it to oneself.

      REFLECTION

      Anytime you feel that you are really doing OK with Benedictine life,
      that you might even be entitled to relax a bit, go read the
      Instruments of Good Works. It shouldn't take long to read all 72 one-
      liners, but you really needn't worry. Few can get past 35 without
      realizing that this is no time for a nap!!

      There can be a whole panoply of reactions to reading this list.
      Personally, I have often felt annoyance. "Now THERE'S a goody-two-
      shoes type!" I'd mutter. "Squeaky clean! Too perfect! Annoying to
      live with!!" Well, the last may be true; saints often are annoying to
      live with!

      However, what you should be thinking of here is not the perfect high
      school honor student who always did EVERYTHING perfectly, who would
      burst into tears if she received a B+, who, to all appearances, had
      no life other than study. Face it, such people fill those of us who
      made the upper half of the graduating class possible with a seething,
      envious disgust. Of course they do! They have a LOT of it right, but
      sometimes no balance. Looking back, to expect such balance at 18 is a
      bit of a stretch for anyone.

      No, these things take a lifetime of practice and hard work and when
      they do come together, they do so with a balanced serenity that does
      not chafe- except perhaps in guilt or envy! But even those should be
      carefully checked. We are all very different people and we are all
      very different at various points in life.

      The young monastic with raging hormones can be very upset with an
      older monk who is so controlled that one is tempted to snarl: "No-
      lifer! Asexual party animal!" Hang on, kids, calm down. Your turn is
      coming, but it can't arrive on the instant of your demand. Brother X
      has spent more than 35 years acquiring those traits you are jealous
      of and it looks easy for him NOW, because it has finally become
      natural, as the Holy Rule promised. But it was not always so! Brother
      X was 20 once, too!

      Never stop trying, but be patient with yourself and especially
      patient with those who are far ahead of you! The monks of Mount Athos
      are always using the phrase: "Be patient" or "Patience." They even
      say it to their donkeys when loading them: "Patience, Demetrios!" We
      need to keep on trying, to never give up, but the timetable is God's
      and His alone. This is a race we cannot win on our own speed.

      "Patience, beloveds, patience!"

      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 19, 2005

        Mea culpa! Fran, one of our readers kindly wrote to tell me, the Crowning with Thorns is the THIRD Sorrowful Mystery, not the second. Alas, my 56 year-old brain can say them rightly with beads in hand, but, in the abstract, it seems that numbering them is another matter entirely. Sigh....

        Prayers, please, for Donald, aggressive lymphatic cancer spreading to stomach and pelvis, biopsy today, also for Jim, his brother and for all his family. Prayers for Edith, in her 80's, congestive heart failure, and for all her family. Prayers, too, for Chico and his wife. She became suddenly quite ill. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        envious distaste. Of course they do! They have a LOT of it right, but

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 18, 2006

          Prayer requests with Prayer in subject to: _brjeromeleo@..._
          (mailto:brjeromeleo@...)

          Prayer of thanks and Deo gratias for Frank, who had a peaceful death on
          Sept. 11, and for his full embrace of the Divine Mercy at that moment and his
          eternal rest with God, and for all his family and those who mourn him. Prayers
          for Al, green card issues not going well. Very depressed, may have to sell
          his home and leave the US. Prayers for Fr. Ron, macular degeneration surgery
          and a 6 weeks convalescence, also for his parish, as they move into the hall
          while the Church is being renovated. Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias from
          Steve for the Good Samaritan who helped him when he was out of gas on a highway
          some distance from help. They fellow really went the extra mile and Steve is
          very grateful Blessings on them both! Prayers for a special intention for
          Anna.

          Prayers, please, that the terrible feelings in the Muslim world about the
          Pope do not further escalate into violence and harm to Christians. May the
          Spirit calm this volatile mess. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's

          _jeromeleo@..._
          TUUG4y)