Holy Rule for Sept. 6

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 6, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers of thanks from Victoria and her Florida congregation, they seem to have made it through Frances OK, and prayers for grace and strength for all those who didn't, too. FL has taken quite a lot lately. Prayers, too, for all the parents, children, and yes, even the terrorists, killed or wounded in the horrible Russian school takeover in Beslan, as well as the other three terrorist attacks in Russia and for all who mourn them. Mercy and grace for all! God's will is best. (Would that we all followed it!) All is mercy and grace. (Even when some DON'T follow it, God turns things to our good.) God is never, ever absent. Not in holocausts, not in terrorism, not in hurricanes. Never. Thanks so much. JL

      January 6 May 7 September 6
      Prologue (continued)

      [Ordinarily, I try, when possible, to make sure that a re-run has not appeared recently.This one, I gladly put out three times a year!! The Morning Offering is such an important prayer, such an effective gateway to and teacher of intercession that, if you learned nothing else at all from what I have written, this would be enough. Every time I learn that I have introduced (or re-introduced!) someone to the Morning Offering, I quite literally know that my life has not been in vain. Had I to face God with only that to my credit, I should be hopeful and confident of His mercy.]

      So we have asked the Lord
      who is to dwell in His tent,
      and we have heard His commands
      to anyone who would dwell there;
      it remains for us to fulfill those duties.

      Therefore we must prepare our hearts and our bodies
      to do battle under the holy obedience of His commands;
      and let us ask God
      that He be pleased to give us the help of His grace
      for anything which our nature finds hardly possible.
      And if we want to escape the pains of hell
      and attain life everlasting,
      then, while there is still time,
      while we are still in the body
      and are able to fulfill all these things
      by the light of this life,
      we must hasten to do now
      what will profit us for eternity.

      REFLECTION

      The first section of the Prologue asked us to seek God's blessing
      before doing any work. Today we are asked to prepare our hearts and
      bodies for the struggles ahead and ask God for His help. Both of
      these precepts are quite nicely filled by making the Morning
      Offering. Now I know that is a Roman Catholic prayer, and I also know
      we have (thanks be to God!) many Oblates of other faiths among us.
      Bear with me, please. I think this has applications for everyone.

      The morning offering is considered rather passe in some Roman
      Catholic circles. One actually wonders why, in an age that loves
      computers with tons of memory, hard drives that do all the work for
      us, even more work than our own minds could dream of doing. I have
      9300 names in a data base I built on royal genealogy, a favorite
      hobby. One click and a few seconds will tell me how any two of them
      are related, even up to mind-boggling relationships like eighteenth
      cousin three times removed. It will start at a point like that and
      then list all lesser relationships, until common ancestors are all
      depleted. No way I could EVER do that. The morning offering, however,
      makes computer ability look like shooting fish in a barrel.

      The morning offering is the perfect capstone, cornerstone and
      beginning for a great life of intercessory prayer. It unites the
      poverty of our own lives, prayers, works, joys and sufferings with
      those of Christ, with those of His Mystical Body. It plunges the
      finite smallness of our own actions into sea after sea of infinite
      grace and perfection and, wrapped in that awesome completeness,
      offers them to the Father in the perhaps most perfect personal gift
      we could ever hope for that day, short of martyrdom itself.

      Ever forget to pray during the day? The morning offering makes our
      very heartbeats and breathing prayers, means of grace for ourselves
      and for all. We have offered ALL our works, even the unconscious ones
      of our bodies to God, and we have offered them in union with the most
      perfect sacrifice of Jesus. With a gift tag like that, the Father is
      quite likely to be pleased, indeed. Each time we blink, or eat,
      suffer or rejoice, we link that to Christ on His Cross. None of us
      have enough bytes of memory to really do that (I have forgotten about
      it at least three times while writing this sentence!) The morning
      offering is our "hard drive" it is the program that saves to disk and
      runs automatically.

      Our baptism into the Mystical Body gives us the right to plug into
      that infinite worth. It would be a shame if we missed the
      opportunity. Let me tell you, with complete sincerity, that all the
      works of my entire life couldn't save a flea from drowning in a
      raindrop. No way. Buried within the depths of Christ, however, their
      value becomes literally infinite.

      Ever feel bad that you forgot to pray for some one who asked, or only
      whispered a quick: "Lord, help her."? The morning offering makes our
      life and our prayer an infinite pie, one which can never be sliced
      too thin. Counting huge groups and individuals, I pray every single
      day for literally billions of people and not one of them is short-
      changed at all. That's the marvel of uniting our lives and heart
      daily to Christ. Every slice of the pie gets served on the plate of
      His infinity, every single one. Cloaked in the perfect mercy and
      offering of Jesus, every single act, even the keys I just struck and
      the mouse I just moved are wonderful prayers for all, for everyone
      throughout time. That's not shabby, folks!

      Ever wish that your heart prone to largesse had all the money in the
      world? How generous you would be! But, with the morning offering, you
      have daily more than that. Claim your infinite share and spread it
      around! Name people and groups, sure, but know that God has a memory
      that never quits. You can say: for all people in all time" and it
      WILL count! Heavens, I pray for all Oblates (among lots of other
      groups every day. Not only could I not name them, I don't even know
      them, nor is it possible for ANYONE to know them all throughout time.
      But God does, and it counts!) There is no one reading this for whom I
      have not prayed every single day, many by name, but it doesn't
      matter. God is my hard drive! I have prayed for the next new guest
      who arrives for a first visit for literally years, every single day.
      The morning offering is a very neat method!

      Look, folks, it's a Roman Catholic prayer. I'll give you a version of
      it at the end of this post, but there are many others. I KNOW that
      some of our Oblates from other Churches may have to amend it a bit
      and that's OK, go for what God and your heart allows. I think,
      however, that all Christians could agree on at least these
      essentials. (Someone please correct me here, if I am wrong.) Offer
      all your prayers, works, joys and sufferings in union with those of
      Christ, for the intentions of Christ, for all the Church and its
      leaders, for all people throughout time. Say it any way your heart
      allows, but do at least this much and congratulations: you have just
      thrust your own prayers and works and joys and sufferings into the
      very heart of the Cosmos, into the whole of history itself. You now
      stand beside Christ in HIS perfect work in every age. WOOOOF!

      And, if today is your first morning offering, or your first in some
      time, make it a habit to pray for all Benedictines each day!

      MORNING OFFERING

      O my Jesus, I offer You this day my prayers, works, joys and
      suffering, for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart and Divine
      Mercy, in union with every sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world
      and with all the prayers, works, joys and sufferings of Your Mystical
      Body throughout time, in reparation for our sins and in thanksgiving
      for all Your benefits. I offer them for the Pope and all Church
      leaders, for the unity of all Christians.

      (Now you can add your own intentions- don't be stingy here, you have
      infinity! I always end my own list with: for everyone and everything
      throughout time, created by Your hands, I offer You my life, in
      holocaust for these and for Your will for them.)

      End with: Jesus, meek and humble of heart, make my heart like unto
      Yours. Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I place my trust in You.

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 6, 2005
        +PAX

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias, for Phil and Barb and many others who had the joy of finding their homes little damaged. They still, however, cannot find Barb's parents, so prayers for them and all who are desperately seeking their loved ones. Prayers for all relief workers, terribly stressed: 200 New Orleans police officers have turned in their badges and two more officers committed suicide. This is a disaster area the size of Great Britain and its overwhelming horrors cannot be imagined. Great grace and strength for all!

        Prayers for Kim and Scott, who have suffered a first trimester miscarriage. Always willing to help others, they now need help themselves. Prayers for Moira, first year in a new college, and for her parents, who are grateful for our prayers. Prayers for D., a terrible alcoholic relapse, climbing out now, but it is so hard. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        January 6 May 7 September 6
        Prologue (continued)

        [Ordinarily, I try, when possible, to make sure that a re-run has not appeared
        recently.This one, I gladly put out three times a year!! The Morning Offering is
        such an important prayer, such an effective gateway to and teacher of
        intercession that, if you learned nothing else at all from what I have written,
        this would be enough. Every time I learn that I have introduced (or
        re-introduced!) someone to the Morning Offering, I quite literally know that my
        life has not been in vain. Had I to face God with only that to my credit, I
        should be hopeful and confident of His mercy. It truly is that important a tool
        of intercessory prayer.]

[...]

        I have 12,000 names in a data base I built on royal genealogy, a favorite
        hobby. One click and a few seconds will tell me how any two of them
        are related, even up to mind-boggling relationships like eighteenth
        cousin three times removed and beyond. It will start at a point like that and
        then list all lesser relationships, until common ancestors are all
        depleted. No way I could EVER do that. The morning offering, however,
        makes all computer ability look like shooting fish in a barrel.

[...]

        That's the marvel of uniting our lives and hearts, joys and sorrows
        daily to Christ. Every slice of the pie gets served on the plate of
        His infinity, every single one. Cloaked in the perfect mercy and
        offering of Jesus, every single act, even the keys I just struck and
        the mouse I just moved are wonderful prayers for all, for everyone
        throughout time. That's not shabby, folks!

        Ever wish that your heart prone to largesse had all the money in the
        world? How generous you would be! But, with the morning offering, you
        have daily more than that. Claim your infinite share and spread it
        around! Name people and groups, sure, but know that God has a memory
        that never quits. You can say: for all people in all time" and it
        WILL count!

        Heavens, I pray for all Oblates (among lots of other people and
        groups every day.) Not only could I not name them, I don't even know
        them, nor is it possible for ANYONE to know them all throughout time.
        But God does, and it counts! There is no one reading this for whom I
        have not prayed every single day, many by name, but it doesn't
        matter. God is my hard drive! I have prayed for the next new guest
        who arrives for a first visit for literally years, every single day.
        The morning offering is a very neat method!

        Look, folks, it's a Roman Catholic prayer. I'll give you a version of
        it at the end of this post, but there are many others. I KNOW that
        some of our Oblates from other Churches may have to amend it a bit
        and that's OK, go for what God and your heart allows. I think,
        however, that all Christians could agree on at least these
        essentials. (Someone please correct me here, if I am wrong.) Offer
        all your prayers, works, joys and sufferings to God in union with those of
        Christ, for the intentions of Christ, for all the Churches and their

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2016

          +PAX

          Prayers for Katherine’s son-in-law, daughter and their family. He has come back from Afghanistan with PTSD and is refusing treatment for it, this is very hard on his wife, their children and family. Katherine asks prayers for the intercession of Fr. Vincent Capodanno for all this.

          Prayers for Wendy, who has just opened her heart to Christ, that she give Him her all, and prayers for Kerrie, who is trying to help.

          Prayers for me, please, I will be having surgery to remove and biopsy a growth on my vocal chords this morning, Sept. 6th. I deeply appreciate all your prayers.

          Prayers for M, for a return to the Church.

          Prayers for the eternal rest of Dot, on her birthday, and for all who mourn her.

          Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's
          Him! Thanks so much. JL

          January 6 May 7 September 6
          Prologue (continued)

[...]

          Our baptism into the Mystical Body allows us to plug into
[...]

          and their leaders, for all people throughout time. Say it any way your heart
          allows, but do at least this much and congratulations: you have
          just thrust your own prayers and works and joys and sufferings into
          the very heart of the Cosmos, into the whole of history itself. You
          now stand beside Christ in HIS perfect work in every age. Other

          Versions, shorter ones, may be found by Googling morning offering,

          but I like this one.

          And, if today is your first morning offering, or your first in some
          time, make it a habit to pray for all Benedictines each day!

          MORNING OFFERING

          O my Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary,

          I offer You this day my prayers, works, joys and
          suffering, for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart and Divine
          Mercy, in union with every sacrifice of the Mass throughout the
          world and with all the prayers, works, joys and sufferings of Your
          Mystical Body throughout time, in reparation for our sins and in thanksgiving
          for all Your benefits. I offer them for the Pope and his intentions,
          all the hierarchy and for the unity of all Christians.

          (Now you can add your own intentions- don't be stingy here, you have
          infinity! I always end my own list with: for everyone and everything
          throughout time, created by Your hands, I offer You my life, for these and for