Dorothy Day and the duty to rejoice

  • russophile2002 <jeromeleo@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 26, 2002

      Elizabeth Tomlinson sent me this wonderful quote from Dorothy Day, an
      Oblate of St. Procopius Abbey whom we may so proudly call our own.
      While is was written over 62 years ago, it could sadly have been
      written this week. It's message has neither dimmed with time, nor has
      its imperative relaxed. " Rejoice! Again I say, rejoice!"

      jeromleo@... St. Mary's Monastery Petersham, MA

      "There is poverty and hunger and war in the world.
      And we prepare for more war. There is desperate
      suffering with no prospect for relief. But we would
      be contributing to the misery and desperation of the
      world if we failed to rejoice in the sun, the moon
      and the stars, in the rivers which surround this island
      on which we live, on the cool breezes of the bay,
      on what food we have and on the benefactors God sends."

      -- Dorothy Day, The Catholic Worker, July-August 1940