Holy Rule for Sept. 1

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1 9:29 AM

      Prayers, please, for Father Gregory Traeger, OSB, of Saint Leo Abbey, who died yesterday at 90. He was 67 years professed, 62 a priest. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord!

      Prayers, too, for Daniel, who attempted suicide Friday, and for his aunt and family. He seems OK, but there may be brain damage. Also, prayers for Shirley, who is hoping to find a copy of her reflection on Br. Patrick, the Listener. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      January 1, May 2, September 1

      Prologue

      L I S T E N carefully, my child,
      to your master's precepts,
      and incline the ear of your heart (Prov. 4:20).
      Receive willingly and carry out effectively
      your loving father's advice,
      that by the labor of obedience
      you may return to Him
      from whom you had departed by the sloth of disobedience.

      To you, therefore, my words are now addressed,
      whoever you may be,
      who are renouncing your own will
      to do battle under the Lord Christ, the true King,
      and are taking up the strong, bright weapons of obedience.

      And first of all,
      whatever good work you begin to do,
      beg of Him with most earnest prayer to perfect it,
      that He who has now deigned to count us among His children
      may not at any time be grieved by our evil deeds.
      For we must always so serve Him
      with the good things He has given us,
      that He will never as an angry Father disinherit His children,
      nor ever as a dread Lord, provoked by our evil actions,
      deliver us to everlasting punishment
      as wicked servants who would not follow Him to glory.

      REFLECTION

      The Prologue is the most tender and loving of beginnings. Always,
      always always keep this loving Father that writes here in mind as you
      read the rest of the Holy Rule. This and the epilogue are the key to
      it all, and the key to the saintly personality of our holy Father
      Benedict.

      The Holy Rule can seem so lofty that it sometimes turns people away.
      They think: "This is for those really holy people, not for me. I'll
      bet it's easy for saints like them, but I couldn't even dream of
      trying." Wrong on both counts and St. Benedict makes that clear. We
      return "by the labor of obedience" and if we are not one of those who
      has "to do battle" against our own will, he makes it abundantly
      certain that he is not talking to us.

      If, in fact, there is anyone for whom the Rule is a cinch, and I
      doubt that very much, then it was not written for them. It was
      written for us who struggle, for us for whom it is NOT easy, to help
      us in a battle that sometimes wears us out.

      St. Benedict also makes his point that our distance from God is due
      to our "sloth of disobedience." Yet he doesn't tell the slothful to
      quit because they are worthless, he tells them they are the very ones
      for whom he is writing this Rule! This is the Rule for the fallen and
      beginners, this is an entry level position which can advance to great
      sanctity, but it *IS* an entry level position!

      This is the door and gate for all. This is most decidedly NOT a Rule
      just for monks and nuns in monasteries. Were that so, no provision
      for Oblates would ever have been made. No, this is a Rule for all who
      wish to try to become better and because they have made that
      intention, God "has deigned to count us among His children." There is
      no more us-and-them here. Just by beginning, we become part of the
      whole.

      How many of us who were not in the advanced reading group as children
      secretly got the suspicion that the whole class was really for the
      wonder kids, not for us, that we were somehow extraneous and just
      tagging along to whatever was REALLY going on? Well, the Holy Rule is
      quite direct about stating that this time, it is not about wonder
      kids: the center of its focus is the rest of us! Now there's a
      refreshingly upside down and all too rare world view!

      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 1 5:40 AM

        Prayers, please, for Father Giles and Brother Giles, on their feastday. Prayers, too, for Omi, 40's, mother of two young children, she has ovarian cancer and the prognosis does not seem good. Prayers for Eric and David, entering the Dominican novitiate today, and for their senior brethren who will profess first vows shortly. Prayers for Cate and her Dad's eternal rest, on his birthday( yesterday, but God is outside of time!) Prayers for a happy death and eternal rest for Helen, removed from life support, and prayers for her son, Henry, who had to make the decision, and all who will mourn her.

        HUGE prayers of thanks and Deo gratias: our Nuns at Tickfaw, Louisiana (between BAton ROuge and New Orleans,) are safe, also, one of our readers, Debra, who lives in Baton Rouge wrote to say she is OK. Prayers, however, for a long time to come for the many more who are not OK, for the dead- probably most of whom have not been found- and for the living who survive to go through crushing times of loss. Lord, help them as You know and will. Still and always, God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL
[...]

        it all, and the key to the saintly personality and tenderness of our holy Father
[...]

        beginners, this is an entry level position which can advance us to great

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2006

          Please send all prayer requests, with Prayer in the subject line to:

          Prayers, please, for Fr. Giles and Br. Giles on their feastday. Blessings
          and joy and graces for Fr. Giles. A happy death and eternal rest for Br. Giles.

          Prayers for Fr. Vincent, who suffered a stroke and has some paralysis on one
          side. Prayers for Norm and his family. He is very near to death and needing
          the Sacraments badly. There is a chance he may get anointed tomorrow if all
          works out. Big time prayers here, Divine Mercy chaplets from those so inclined
          would be wonderful!. Prayers for all who die by their own hands. Prayers for
          Rod, severe chronic back problems has him in jeopardy of losing his job.
          Prayers, too, for all those professionals treating and caring for the folks for
          whom we pray.

          Prayers for Marialyce, MRI on her neck today trying to diagnosis some
          problems with her hand. Prayers for Sal, who had to fly home for a family matter. A
          joyous Deo gratias: Melissa, for whom we prayed, has delivered a healthy
          baby son, Levi Seraphim, prayers for his Dad and Mom and all his family,
          especially our Brother Dominic, a proud uncle! Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias,
          too, for the five brand new novices of the Western Dominican Province, who
          received their habits yesterday, for grace and perseverance. Lord, help us all as
          You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never