Dec 23

  • russophile2002 <jeromeleo@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 23, 2002

      Here goes, with no reflection. I put my dear cat, Dame Maggie, to
      sleep tonight and our Vespers regulars, Cas, Mary and Maureen,
      Oblates all, helped me and Brother Vincent bury her. She is part of
      Petersham forever now. Thanks for all your prayers for her and me.
      Please pray for me now. I know she is OK, but it was the toughest
      thing God has ever asked me to do.

      Love and prayers,
      Jerome, OSB jeromeleo@...

      Chapter 65: On the Prior of the Monastery
      To us, therefore, it seems expedient
      for the preservation of peace and charity
      that the Abbot have in his hands
      the full administration of his monastery.
      And if possible let all the affairs of the monastery,
      as we have already arranged,
      be administered by deans according to the Abbot's directions.
      Thus, with the duties being shared by several,
      no one person will become proud.

      But if the circumstances of the place require it,
      or if the community asks for it with reason and with humility,
      and the Abbot judges it to be expedient,
      let the Abbot himself constitute as his Prior
      whomsoever he shall choose
      with the counsel of God-fearing brethren.

      That Prior, however, shall perform respectfully
      the duties enjoined on him by his Abbot
      and do nothing against the Abbot's will or direction;
      for the more he is raised above the rest,
      the more carefully should be observe the precepts of the Rule.

      If it should be found that the Prior has serious faults,
      or that he is deceived by his exaltation and yields to pride,
      or if he should be proved to be a despiser of the Holy Rule,
      let him be admonished verbally up to four times.
      If he fails to amend,
      let the correction of regular discipline be applied to him.
      But if even then he does not reform,
      let him be deposed from the office of Prior
      and another be appointed in his place who is worthy of it.
      And if afterwards he is not quiet and obedient in the community,
      let him even be expelled from the monastery.
      But the Abbot, for his part, should bear in mind
      that he will have to render an account to God
      for all his judgments,
      lest the flame of envy or jealousy be kindled in his soul.