Holy Rule for July 24

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Gertie, 90, serious fall, and for Ardeth, uterine cancer, and Deane, chemo. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      March 24, July 24, November 23
      Chapter 44: How the Excommunicated Are to Make Satisfaction

      One who for serious faults is excommunicated
      from oratory and table
      shall make satisfaction as follows.
      At the hour when the celebration of the Work of God is concluded
      in the oratory,
      let her lie prostrate before the door of the oratory,
      saying nothing, but only lying prone with her face to the ground
      at the feet of all as they come out of the oratory.
      And let her continue to do this
      until the Abbess judges that satisfaction has been made.
      Then, when she has come at the Abbess's bidding,
      let her cast herself first at the Abbess's feet
      and then at the feet of all,
      that they may pray for her.

      And next, if the Abbess so orders,
      let her be received into the choir,
      to the place which the Abbess appoints,
      but with the provision that she shall not presume
      to intone Psalm or lesson or anything else in the oratory
      without a further order from the Abbess.

      Moreover, at every Hour,
      when the Work of God is ended,
      let her cast herself on the ground in the place where she stands.
      And let her continue to satisfy in this way
      until the Abbess again orders her finally to cease
      from this satisfaction.

      But those who for slight faults are excommunicated
      only from table
      shall make satisfaction in the oratory,
      and continue in it till an order from the Abbess,
      until she blesses them and says, "It is enough."

      REFLECTION

      There is a LOT here for family and workplace, though one might not
      think so at first glance. This chapter is not about kneeling and
      prostrations, it is about asking for and receiving forgiveness.

      The most important part of the puzzle here is that the offender accepts
      correction, even punishment, and goes through the process to amend.
      If the principles of mercy outlined here are employed without that VERY
      important proviso, heartbreak and trouble for many can ensue. If the
      offender walks off in a huff at the first sign of correction, this is NOT about
      such a monastic at all.

      One more really important point here. Especially in the really major
      offenses, it is quite likely that more monastics are involved, not
      just the Abbot and the offender. Still, St. Benedict does not include
      them in the decision to forgive.

      This is strikingly useful. The terms of forgiveness are NOT in our
      hands, but in those of the Abbess. There is someone who has the
      authority and right to say: "This is finished, we've got to move on!"
      Wow! Now that's the sort of umpire or referee we could use in many
      areas of life. It may not be available at your place of work (unless you
      are the boss,) but it surely can be a big help in any family when a parent
      assumes this role justly.

      There is yet another bit of wisdom to be gleaned here that has
      nothing to do with body language 1,500 years old. St. Benedict
      establishes a system for the contrite one to actually make amends, to
      ask for forgiveness and receive it. Sad to say, I have known, both in
      my own monastic life and in the lives of others, people who would not
      forgive or forget. "There is NOTHING you could do that would ever
      make me forgive you!"

      This is a horrible thing, but truthfully, after a certain point, it is no longer
      the fault of the one who originally goofed, but of the monastic who refuses
      to forgive, who bears a grudge. This is a much more serious issue than
      kneeling or not kneeling in choir, more detrimental to community than
      stretching out by the door for a week or so. This is cancerous.

      Nobody is asking anyone to be so purblind stupid as to hold their
      hands firmly on the same hot stove twice, but if Christians don't
      forgive when asked, our common life cannot go on, and common life is
      an integral part of Christianity. When people accept correction and
      ask for forgiveness and try to mend, we must honor that somehow.

      People confuse forgiveness with total memory block. Total memory
      blocks are impossible for most people, maybe not even very healthy:
      we received the gift of memory from God for a good reason. I can assure
      you that there are people in my life who will never make me cry the second
      time. Some added protection has been afforded by me that precludes that.

      But we still have to live with such people, for all 7x70 times they ask to be
      forgiven. Maybe we will never be able to be as vulnerable with
      them again, but we have to establish at LEAST civility, and hopefully
      even more than that. And, who knows, maybe, in time (long time!)
      most of our original innocence and vulnerability will return. Maybe.
      But those things do take time. To refuse outright to forgive is to
      guarantee that the good things about reconciliation for both parties
      will never happen at all. We are denied the "luxury" of such refusals
      by both Gospel and Rule.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 24, 2005

        Prayers, please, for Lil, who died Friday, for her happy death, her family and all who mourn her. Prayers for someone discerning a community life vocation.

        Ben Bennett had a total hip replacement, which was really the better of two options, the break was so bad. Some of you have asked that I post his address, so here it is:

        28 West St., Petersham, MA 01366.

        I still have no idea about whether or not he has health care coverage, but I know he has no disability insurance. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 23, 2007

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of:

          Pauline Tinguely, a founding member of Monastic Life list and much beloved, who died a year ago today, and for all who mourn her.

          Vic, now in hospice and probably in his last days from lymphoma spread throughout his body, for his wife, whom he lost to cancer 11 years ago and for all who will mourn him.

          Michelle, 21, who died very quickly after being diagnosed with leukemia, and especially for her stunned family.

          a man who was shot and killed in front of his wife and 14 year old son when he shouted at a 17 year old who was robbing a woman in a parking lot. Prayers, too, for the woman robbed and for the conversion of the teen who did this terrible thing.

          Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, and for the families and all who treat or care for them:

          Paula, severe depression.

          Esel, 21, emotional problems, difficulty sorting things out in life.

          Ken, 60, cardiac and pulmonary problems, also alcoholic, declining seriously in hospital.

          Scott, dreadful back pain, forced to retire and go on disability, struggling with faith in the midst of so much pain and trouble. Prayers for abundant graces for him, please.

          Freddie, whom we prayed for quite some time ago, his brain tumor is inoperable, but has not grown, awaiting results of a third MRI.

          an 82 year old woman having her gall bladder removed and some duodenal tumors as well, unknown whether or not they are malignant, and for her daughter.

[...]

          of Christianity. When people accept correction and ask for forgiveness and try to amend, we must honor that somehow.