Holy Rule for July 23

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 23 5:25 AM

      Thanks for all your messages of prayers and concern for me, though I am still beyond the task of answering them all personally, I am very, very grateful. Even my surgeon was concerned at how bad the first two days went, but things are smoothing out MUCH better today. A million thanks! I get my biopsy results next Tuesday and will let you all know.

      Prayers, please, for my Brother Patrick, very depressed and now with hospice visiting daily. If you ever got anything from me, you owe him big-time. What a gift he is to so many! Prayers, too, for job discernment for Steve, for Deacon Gary, severe leg and back pain have him unable to walk. We prayed for him recently when he lost his daughter to cancer, and for Virginia and her worried family. She has post-op infection from hip surgery, as well as kidney problems and depression.

      Prayers, especially, for the people of Sudan. Arab militias, government backed, are surrounding the refugee camps of black Sudanese and blocking food and medicine aid. About 1,000 a day are dying, US estimates have about 370,000 dead or soon to die from starvation, disease. As many as 1,000,000 could die in the next few months. This genocide is a very important human issue to pray about. There is also a website to send free faxes to US Congress persons in support of their resolutions to help stop the outrage at: http://www.faithfulamerica.org/home.htm It's totally free and your few minutes might save a life. I am not being political here, nor do I know all that faithfulamerica does or supports. I'm just being humanitarian and they do offer a free and easy way to do that.

      God's will is best. ALl is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      anyone who
      does not come on time
      If then he does not amend,
      and made to eat alone,
      at the verse said after the meal.

      And let no one presume
      to take any food or drink
      before or after the appointed time.
      But if anyone is offered something by the superior
      and refuses to take it,
      then when the time comes
      that he desires what he formerly refused
      or something else,
      let him receive nothing whatever
      until he has made proper satisfaction.

      REFLECTION

      Communal monasticism, even long before St. Benedict, established a
      close similarity between Church and refectory. One fed the soul, one
      fed the body, and, with reading, the soul and mind as well! Not
      surprisingly, a ritual grew up around the communal meal with its
      longer, formal, chanted grace, the silence and reading, that would
      make one think very much of Church, indeed!

      Oblates have to be very careful that they do not "impose" their
      monasticism on their families. On the other hand, all things being
      equal, it is certainly within reason to expect our families to be at
      least theistic, even Christian, if in fact they are! (If we do not
      have the blessing of a family or spouse of similar or like faith,
      then scrupulous respect for that difference must obtain.) Having said
      that, a formal grace, no matter how short, is hardly a draconian
      imposition on a family of believers, no matter how nominal that
      belief may be.

      Silence, of course, is hardly a family option, but peace surely is!
      Cease-fire, folks! Truce! Once grace is said, every effort to avoid
      dissension and fighting should be made! They really aren't very good
      for digestion, let alone spiritual growth. Think how many times one
      hears someone say: "Oh, yeah, we HAD to say grace as kids, but then
      all hell broke loose." Don't let them happen. It inoculates most of
      the grace that prayer could bring. No prayer is a magic wand that
      forgives whatever follows!

      I have lived alone as an Oblate in the world. I know at least some of
      the loneliness and longing that goes with that. I urge single Oblates
      (and confess that I was not always clever in this respect myself!) to
      surround their dining in the evening with some kind of formality.
      Single people often fail to take very good care of themselves. Make
      your evening meal a time when you do that.

      Say or chant a careful grace. Light a candle, perhaps. Play a tape
      of something nourishing to the soul, whether words or music. It doesn't
      matter if you're eating tuna out of a can or a frozen dinner. Enhance that time with
      things good for you and good for your monastic struggle. For all the
      disadvantages of single life in the world, there are also some
      advantages! Make sure you gift yourself with the graces your
      situation does offer. Turn off the news and the phone ringer. Take
      the little bit of heaven that is there for you!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 23 6:21 AM

          Prayers of thanks, Deo gratias, and many years for Thomas Pio Grimaldi, making his Final Oblation to St. Mary's Monastery today, and for all his wonderful family who have joined us for the day. A HUGE Italian feast for sixteen is being prepared by the family in the guesthouse as I write. The house is filled with love and warmth and laughter and the fragrance of Abruzzi cuisine fills the air! It is days like this that always make me feel that this is exactly what a Benedictine guesthouse should be like.

          Prayers for Carol and her ministry and congregation at First Presbyterian Church, and for Joey, her husband, an Army chaplain on a one year tour of duty in Korea, as well as for the many soldiers he ministers to there. Prayers for Carol's Mom, happily settling into a new phase in her life, a richly deserved one! Prayers of thanks for Nikita and her twins, Kyra and Kina, preemies. Kyra is already at home, and Kina is due to come home in another week or two. She thanks all for their prayers. Prayers for Leslie, who admitted herself to detox and is thus far doing very well. As many of you know, a lot of grace is needed for recovery. Jun asks prayers for a promotion at work sought for three years.

          Prayers for John, who tragically killed his wife, their dog, and then shot himself to death. Prayers, too, for the young children in that neighborhood, now frightened and feeling very uncomfortable living there, and for all those affected by this horrible tragedy, especially the families of John and his wife. Prayers for all who take their own lives and those of others. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much! JL

[...]

          have the blessing of a family or spouse of similar or identical faith,

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 22 6:06 PM

            Prayers for a man accused of child pornography, and for his wife and family. Even if false, the charges alone are devastating to them all, and it is not certain that the charges are valid.

            Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following and for all their families, all who treat or care for them:

            Thomas, 72, months-long battle with painful shingles, also arthritic.

            Andy, Vince, Dave and Marian, a very painful family situation.

            J., that she have the grace and courage to face things as they are, not hide from them, and to help those she can.

            Peter, cancer not in remission, his daughters, one recovered anorexic and the other depressed by her family's health and for his wife, who is having hip difficulties.