Holy Rule for July 18

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 18, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Mary, CT scan this week for spots on her lungs, and for her daughter, Peggy and family. Some time ago we prayed for Jenn, falsely accused of child abuse. Last week she was exonerated completely on the charges she has borne in genuine innocence for over a year now. Deo gratias! God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      March 18, July 18, November 17
      Chapter 39: On the Measure of Food

      We think it sufficient for the daily dinner,
      whether at the sixth or the ninth hour,
      that every table have two cooked dishes
      on account of individual infirmities,
      so that he who for some reason cannot eat of the one
      may make his meal of the other
      Therefore let two cooked dishes suffice for all the brethren;
      and if any fruit or fresh vegetables are available,
      let a third dish be added.

      Let a good pound weight of bread suffice for the day,
      whether there be only one meal or both dinner and supper.
      If they are to have supper,
      the cellarer shall reserve a third of that pound,
      to be given them at supper.

      But if it happens that the work was heavier,
      it shall lie within the Abbot's discretion and power,
      should it be expedient,
      to add something to the fare.
      Above all things, however,
      over-indulgence must be avoided
      and a monk must never be overtaken by indigestion;
      for there is nothing so opposed to the Christian character
      as over-indulgence
      according to Our Lord's words,
      "See to it that your hearts be not burdened
      with over-indulgence" (Luke 21:34).

      Young boys
      shall not receive the same amount of food as their elders,
      but less;
      and frugality shall be observed in all circumstances.

      Except the sick who are very weak,
      let all abstain entirely
      from eating the flesh of four-footed animals.

      REFLECTION

      If you are the only Oblate in the family, do NOT try to introduce
      your non-Benedictine children or spouse to the full rigors of this
      chapter. Don't go there... Very bad idea!
      However, there are all kinds of creative ways that you
      can "monasticize" your diet while leaving the family happy!

      If you work outside the home, or most of your family is at work or
      school and you stay home, look at your lunch, or whatever meal you
      eat on your own. That's the place to make changes. You can change the
      amount you eat, maybe even make the time a bit later. Most
      workplaces, struggling to cover all the slots at lunch hour, might be
      glad if you wanted to eat lunch when the others had finished. Check
      it out.

      If you pack and carry your own lunch, you can often find a GREAT
      monastic discipline in making it plain and less often varied. Try
      peanut butter and jelly for a while. Great source of protein and
      antioxidants. Try taking just fruit. Three of the nurses I've worked
      with- and none of them for monastic reasons- ate the same lunch every
      single day. Two of them used to always eat saltines and peanut
      butter, the other ALWAYS ate one can of sardines with crackers.
      Always. Nobody died, but the lounge used to smell awful after Rosa
      dined on her sardines in that small room!

      Rosa's sardine idea might not be fine daily for you, but what about once
      a week, on Fridays, say. One can of sardines and some fat-free saltines.
      Lunch for under a dollar. Great source of fish oil, omega-3 and all that. Also,
      these days, about the only fish one can afford is canned. Sigh... Docs
      recommend three servings a week for cardiac health. That might be a
      lunch idea you can live with!

      What ever you do (and peanut butter and jelly, alas, is not a high
      scorer in this field,) try to make changes in your own diet with an
      eye to health and the ecology. If you are careful not to make a big
      deal of it and to serve really good-tasting food, you can even employ
      these principles to some degree with your family, if you are the
      cook! Lots of meat-stretching dishes over noodles or rice will never
      be thought of as penitential. Some really good beans as a side dish
      are great fiber, great protein, possibly fat-free and CHEAP! Red
      beans (or black beans,) over rice are traditionally ethnic and
      wonderful.

      Try to add healthy elements that will go unnoticed, too. A Franciscan
      hermit who made a retreat here turned me onto a great idea: soy
      powder. She used it for milk shakes, which never quite caught on with
      me. The taste was not great (to me, at least,) and I HATE to clean a
      blender every day. On the other hand, there is about 24 grams of
      protein in 1/3 cup of that stuff, about 33% of your daily
      requirement. Dump a half cup into a bread pudding and it will never
      be noticed. Surely there are other things you can find to sneak it
      into as well!

      I'll just use bread pudding as an example, but you can have a lot of
      fun experimenting with other stuff, too. When I make bread pudding, I
      substitute orange juice for some of the milk.
      Less fat, more vitamin C, and the soy powder more than makes up for
      the bit of protein lost. Tons of fat-free things that don't taste fat-
      free at all can be made with apple sauce. Trust me, I HATE things
      that taste fat-free, so if I like them, your kids will never know.

      Always remember, the best penances are those we do not choose. For
      many of us, that could be as simple as following one's doctor's
      orders on diet carefully. So many things are diet-related and those
      habits are so hard to break. Let you doctor be your abbess in this
      respect and you will not only get healthier in body, but in spirit as
      well!

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2005

        Prayers, please, for Fr. Brendan, suffering from hiccups since Friday and painfully worn out. Prayers for Steve, a minister diagnosed with adult leukemia, and for all his family, prayers, too, for Donna, seriously ill in the hospital. Prayers for Mary Jane, recurrent leukemia after 2 years, requiring another bone marrow transplant, for her brother, Gregory, the donor both times, and all her family. Prayers for Bob, on dialysis and a ventilator after triple bypass surgery, for Linda, his niece, and for all his family. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! thanks so much. JL

      • jeromeleo@earthlink.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2006

          Prayers for Sr. Gertrude and the new OSB community at Ave Maria University: they now have one novice and a postulant, maybe even two, entering in the fall. Deo gratias!

          Prayers, please, for Ted and several members of the Nez Perce Tribe who are traveling to Seattle for the National Tekakwitha Conference for Native American Catholics, for a safe journey and a spiritually rich conference for all! Prayers for Gene, and his roommate, Dunstan, who found him unconscious on the floor yesterday. Gene is hospitalized, but there is so far no diagnosis.

          Prayers for peace in the Middle East and for the safety of all there, prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of all who have died. May they have embraced the Divine Mercy fully at their last moments. We must be careful to pray with the Heart of God, Who never stops loving even the wicked: if He did, all of us sinners would be in great trouble, indeed! True, a sinner can turn from and reject God, but that doesn't change His Love and that is the Love with which we should all be praying for ALL on every side of this terrible mess.

          Prayers for understanding between two long-time friends experiencing some difficulty in their relationship. Prayers for Sr. Theresa, OSB, a wonderful woman who has done much for the Church, now dying of cancer. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. ALl is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17, 2007

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, and for all their families and all who mourn them:

            Glenn, died in a boating accident while on vacation, also for his wife and son and for the companion in the boat who was rescued and did not die.

            Molly, for whom we prayed. She did not get to die at home as she'd hoped, but her daughter was with her in the hospital till the last moment.

            Prayers for the spiritual, mental and physical health of the following, and for their families and all who treat or care for them:

            Greg, grieving and hopeless after a relationship broke up.

            Jackson, at death's door a year ago when we first prayed for him, and now still with us! Continued prayers and Deo gratias for his health, please.

            Melissa, badly needing to get into Alanon recovery.

            D. lost both parents to death in less than a year in very traumatic circumstances, then was brutally attacked and may lose sight in one eye, now homebound, depressed, terrified and neither seeking nor accepting any help.

            Peggy's husband, perhaps nearing the end of his road with lung cancer, and for Peggy, struggling to care for him at home, since much of his pension and benefits has been lost.

            Baby Ethan, for whom we have prayed, is in ICU, in a drug-induced coma, numerous serious complications. The only good news is that they may be signs that the stem cells from his Dad are working.

            Tony, cardiac problems, numerous stents and one ischemic area in his stress test.

            Deo gratias and continued prayers for Christian, showing more progress, though diagnosed as autistic. His family, especially his grandmother are very grateful for the prayers.

            Skip, multiple clots after bypass surgery and his kidneys are beginning to fail.

            Judy, stage 3 ovarian cancer, optimistic, but seeking prayers.

            Lou, chronic side effects from botched prostate cancer treatment a few years ago.