Holy Rule for July 8

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 8, 2004

      Prayers, please, for Steve, his son, Justin, and all their family. Steve was flying a small plane which crashed, trapping him and his son for 4 hours. Justin died in his Dad's arms. Steve has critical injuries. Prayers, too, for Catherine, 20, depression and anger, for her emotional and spiritual health and her return to the Church, also for her Mom, and for the success of a home business to better support them both. Prayers, too, for a family where grown children and parent have stopped speaking. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      March 8, July 8, November 7
      Chapter 31: What Kind of Man the Cellarer of the Monastery Should Be

      As cellarer of the monastery
      let there be chosen from the community
      one who is wise, of mature character, sober,
      not a great eater, not haughty, not excitable,
      not offensive, not slow, not wasteful,
      but a God-fearing man
      who may be like a father to the whole community.

      Let him have charge of everything.
      He shall do nothing without the Abbot's orders,
      but keep to his instructions.
      Let him not vex the brethren.
      If any brother
      happens to make some unreasonable demand of him,
      instead of vexing the brother with a contemptuous refusal
      he should humbly give the reason
      for denying the improper request.

      Let him keep guard over his own soul,
      mindful always of the Apostle's saying
      that "he who has ministered well
      will acquire for himself a good standing" (1 Tim. 3:13).

      Let him take the greatest care
      of the sick, of children, of guests and of the poor,
      knowing without doubt
      that he will have to render an account for all these
      on the Day of Judgment.

      Let him regard all the utensils of the monastery
      and its whole property
      as if they were the sacred vessels of the altar.
      Let him not think that he may neglect anything.
      He should be neither a miser
      nor a prodigal and squanderer of the monastery's substance,
      but should do all things with measure
      and in accordance with the Abbot's instructions.

      REFLECTION

      The Abbot is father to the family, in all respects. Some of those,
      however, are delegated to others, so that no one, not even the Abbot,
      may be overburdened. In one sense, the Abbot may be said to be the
      father in things spiritual and the cellarer in things material. It is
      interesting that St. Benedict requires very similar qualities in both.

      What lies beneath that requirement is the Benedictine view of
      property, of goods, of the earth itself. We scorn excess, in either
      direction, but we do not scorn the material world, we reverence it as
      if it were one of the vessels of the altar! This is very different
      from a Buddhist or Hindu view, where all creation might be looked
      upon as "maya," illusion. We see creation for what it truly is: a
      stupendous and free gift of God to all.

      While we always place people before things, we demand that both
      people and things be the objects of downright exquisite care. We love
      both because they ARE God's gifts, because they are both the means of
      sustaining our lives for God's ends. As such, the Holy Rule's view
      does not permit that things be loved in and of themselves, for
      themselves alone. That's an attachment we have to be careful to
      avoid. That false love, however, can lead to all kinds of erroneous
      ideas about the good we administer: stinginess, hoarding,
      acquisitiveness.

      All of these traits translate very easily into the family sphere.
      Parents need to achieve a sane balance in regards to material things.
      They need not to be career-driven workaholics, but they must also
      avoid being poor providers through lack of concern. The key to the
      middle way is love, as usual. Love the family members more than
      anything worldly and the rest falls more or less into place. If
      children know that they come before things, they have learned a
      lesson that they will pass on for the rest of their lives.

      Face it, many a rich, spoiled child, immersed in privilege, feels
      unloved. Things are never an adequate substitute for our HEARTS,
      which is what God, St. Benedict and the Holy Rule ask us to give
      without reserve. It is the love, the genuine love, that a child (or
      anyone else, for that matter!) will remember. All the rest is dust
      and ashes.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 8, 2005

        In the prayer requests a few days ago, I referred to the parents of a newly adopted child as "adoptive parents." Matt D., one of our readers, sent me a beautiful post which gently reminded me of my insensitivity in terming them such. My giving offense was unintentional, but I am glad to have been shown the mistaken language I had used. Here is an excerpt:

        "Please prayerfully consider the wording in the above statement. They are the parents, not adoptive parents of their child. The fact that they are adopting the baby boy from Russia will show how this blessing is working in their family. As the parent of three children, soon to be four, from India, I am my children's father, not their adoptive father. "

        Prayers, please, for Jane, her Dad and sisters as they prepare to bury the mother of the family, Peg. Grieving is always a time when people need such strong prayers. Prayers for Bob, we prayed for him and his Dad (massive heart attack,) yesterday. His Dad is now brain dead, being kept on life support until his brother can arrive. For his Dad's happy death and all the family.

        Special prayers for all in the UK, reeling from the terrorist attacks yesterday, for their safety and strength, for the healing of the injured and the happy death of those lost. Prayers that no further attacks happen during the summit in Scotland. What a tragedy! Prayers, too, for whoever is responsible. What an awful thing to have to face God with. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much! JL

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2007

          Ardent thanks for all who prayed for Mary and Comet. Both are home, Deo gratias. The vet suspects an inner ear problem may be what she has, not a stroke, but is unsure. The ear problem should correct itself within three weeks, so it is a wait and see type thing. In the meantime, we need to protect her from injuring herself when she falls. As Comet is a large dog and Mary, her human, also has a lot of orthopedic problems, we'd be grateful for ongoing prayers.

          Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Jennie, 91, for her nephew, Michael, and all their family, and all who mourn her.

          Prayers for a mother confronted with a very difficult visit from one of her children.

          Joyous prayers for Father Alexander Bevan, OSB, of Ealing Abbey, London. He is being ordained to the Priesthood today. May God bless all his monastic life and priestly ministry. Ad multos annos, many year of grace and blessing.

          Prayers for the spiritual, physical and mental health of the following and for all their loved ones and all who treat or care for them:

          Fr. Kevin, breast cancer, continued prayers as he continues his treatments.

          Maria and her son, who has been rushed into hospital with possible heart attack. He has a wife and two very young children and lives across the country from Maria.

[...]

          the vessels of the altar! This is very different from a Buddhist view, where
[...]

          are what God, St. Benedict and the Holy Rule ask us to give without