Holy Rule for July 7

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 7, 2004

      Prayers of thanks, Dorothy has died her peaceful death, surrounded by family. Let us now pray for her eternal rest and for her family, especially her sister, Jean, and Joel and Kenneth, her sons, and Alice and Mary, their wives. Prayers of thanks for a safe journey that we prayed for, and for a safe return on 7/10, prayers of healing for a woman with an eating disorder and for all who suffer with same. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      March 7, July 7, November 6
      Chapter 30: How Boys Are to Be Corrected

      Every age and degree of understanding
      should have its proper measure of discipline.
      With regard to boys and adolescents, therefore,
      or those who cannot understand the seriousness
      of the penalty of excommunication,
      whenever such as these are delinquent
      let them be subjected to severe fasts
      or brought to terms by harsh beatings,
      that they may be cured.

      REFLECTION

      While I often suffer from the loneliness of being single, I never,
      ever regret the fact that I am childless. Quite the reverse! I always
      find myself deeply grateful that I have not had to face the challenge
      of raising children. I have the deepest respect for those who do.
      Having taught for a while, I know all too well how daunting it can
      be, even just part-time in the classroom.

      I also know from teaching that, while we did not use corporal
      punishment at all, there were a few rare times when I wished that we
      could. There were some children that I felt absolutely nothing else
      could reach. Faced with such a problem, I don't know what one does,
      other than hope and pray, literally, that the child will improve.

      That's a hard thing to say, but I think some children seem quite probably
      able to hear nothing but violence. I can assure you that, just as there
      are deeply toxic adults, there are, alas, toxic children, too. I
      know. I have taught them. I don't mean that we should stoop to
      violence, but how does one reach such a child? I have never been able
      to answer that.

      We are social primates. We have a cross and burden to bear for our
      elevation above the rest of the primate world, a responsibility. For
      a baboon troop, this is a no-brainer: drive the loser out of the
      troop. After that, the next stop is the Lions' Pride Cafe and one
      becomes an entree. Tempting as that kind of abdication may be, it is
      something to which we can never resort.

      I think we need to cling to the Benedictine model in such situations:
      punish only to reform, not for revenge, not to destroy; punish
      appropriately, in ways that will be understood and that fit the
      offense justly. When all that fails (and even before, while we're
      watching it fail slowly!) PRAY, PRAY, PRAY! To pray is NOT to do
      nothing. And it is often the only tool we have.

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 7, 2005

        Prayers, please, for all the dead and injured in the London terror attacks and their families and dear ones. Prayers, too, for the deluded souls who perpetrated such violence in the name of religion.

        Prayers of Deo gratias and thanks for two of those for whom we prayed have gone to God: Bryan and Clancy have both passed on. May they enjoy eternal rest. Prayers for their family and friends, especially Jill, Bryan's fiance. Prayers, too, for Peg, who passed away quickly and quietly this morning, for her happy death and for her daughter, Jane, and all who mourn her. Prayers for Dave and his four children. His wife has moved in with another man and the children are devastated. Prayers for John, 92, in hospital for tests and for Elaine, his daughter. Prayers, too, for Bob, whose wife left him and now his Dad has had a massive heart attack. A lot on his plate! Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        to answer that. Prayer is the only answer.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 2007

          Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for Dot, whose post-op doctor visit went well, drains out and need not go back for another month. Her family thanks all for their prayers.

          Prayers for all military personnel serving in harm's way: may they all come home safely and may peace come soon. Prayers, too, for all their families and loved ones waiting at home. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          never been able to answer that. Prayer is the only answer.

          We are social primates. We have a cross and burden to bear for our
          elevation above the rest of the primate world, a responsibility. For a
          baboon troop, this is a no-brainer: drive the loser out of the
          troop. After that, the next stop is the Lions' Pride Cafe and one
          becomes an entree. Tempting as that kind of abdication may be, it is
          something to which we can never resort.

          I think we need to cling to the Benedictine model in such situations:
          punish only to reform, not for revenge, not to destroy; punish
          appropriately, in ways that will be understood and that fit the
          offense justly. When all that fails (and even before, while we're
          watching it fail slowly!) Pray, pray, pray! To pray is not like doing nothing.
          It is a very active intervention and it is often the only tool we have.