Holy Rule for July 2

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 2, 2004

      Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias. Monty's wife has found the job she needed so badly. They both thank all who prayed.

      Prayers, please, for Jody, home sick with an unnamed bug that is hanging on, for Emilia and her cat, Wanda. Emi accidentally hit the cat's tail with her car, that's minor, but now there is a danger of kidney failure. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      March 2, July 2, November 1
      Chapter 25: On Weightier Faults

      Let the brother who is guilty of a weightier fault
      be excluded both from the table and from the oratory.
      Let none of the brethren join him
      either for company or for conversation.
      Let him be alone at the work assigned him,
      abiding in penitential sorrow
      and pondering that terrible sentence of the Apostle
      where he says that a man of that kind is handed over
      for the destruction of the flesh,
      that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord (1 Cor. 5:5).
      Let him take his meals alone
      in the measure and at the hour
      which the Abbot shall consider suitable for him.
      He shall not be blessed by those who pass by,
      nor shall the food that is given him be blessed.

      REFLECTION

      The world's concept of punishment is alien to Benedictine values. The
      world often sees punishment as nothing other than retribution. Few
      today would think of prisons (at least in my country,) as places of
      reform or moral rehabilitation. Quite the reverse!

      We want offenders to pay and we want them removed from our view
      and out of harm's way. We often even want them dead, but we do not much
      care whether or not they reform. In fact, we have little faith that they will and
      even less hope of that given the prisons we have warehoused them in. The
      world wants problems removed, not solved, not converted.

      With St. Benedict, there is no reason for punishment other than
      correction and hope of conversion. Only when the hope of those are
      gone does he demand expulsion. The familial nature of Benedictine
      life means that we have to hold on as long as a possibility of cure
      seems to exist. Like any family, we are committed to one another
      through a lot of thick or thin.

      However, and some families sadly know this, too, sometimes that hope
      is dashed by the offender, the only one who has ultimate power in
      this process. Once a monastic is corrected or punished, the real
      outcome lies pretty much in the monastic's control. One can profit
      from the correction and grow, or one can stubbornly rebel and wither.

      Sometimes punishment may seem mean, but, believe me, it is really the
      most necessary form of love at times. Charity could not leave such
      wounds undressed. If it did, one would have a lot to answer for to
      God one day. Real love does not ignore, real love does not take the
      easiest route.

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2005

        The adoptive parents and grandmother for whom we have prayed anonymously several times- and who want to remain anonymous- have successfully adopted a baby boy from Russia. Deo gratias for all! Parents and baby are on their way home!!!

        Prayers, please, for David, a big-time drug dealer for years, family does not even know his whereabouts or whether he's alive or dead. Equally big-time prayers needed here! Prayers for Violet, terminal lung cancer, for her happy death and for all her family and friends. Prayers for Teresa, some deep problems, not least of which is an absolutely hateful and vengeful destruction financially of the husband she divorced, who did his best to keep the marriage going and is a really nice man. She harms him, her child, and herself. Prayers for them all and all the family. How sad when love turns to such an ardently "evil zeal" of hatred and how needless. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        through a lot of thick or thin and there is no shortage of either!!

        However, and some families sadly know this, too, sometimes that hope
        is dashed by the offender, the only one who has ultimate power in
        this process. Once a monastic is corrected or punished, the real
        outcome lies pretty much in the monastic's control. One can profit
        from the correction and grow, or one can stubbornly rebel and wither.

        Sometimes punishment may seem mean, but, believe me, it is really the
        most necessary form of love at times. Charity could not leave such
        wounds undressed. If it did, one would have a lot to answer for to
        God one day. Real love does not ignore, real love does not take the
        easiest route. Real love is often forced, even bravely willing, to name the horse
        on the dining room table that other diners ignore.This is as perfectly true of families
        and workplaces as it is of monasteries. There is a lot of wisdom here for all!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2006

          Belated prayers for Fr. Peter, as he turns (huge drum roll here <g>!) FORTY and codgers into his forty-first year. Blessings and graces in abundance for him. Ad multos annos, many years!

          Prayers for Audrey, cancer of the throat, large tumor, surgery on Wednesday. The pain is so bad that she has told her sister she would welcome death. Also for her sister, Kay, and all their family. Prayers for Barb, struggling bravely with a host of problems and needing grace and strength and faith to endure her heavy load. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          and even less hope of that given the prisons in which we have warehoused them.

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 1, 2007

            Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of the following, and for their families and all who mourn them:

            Bill, 73, lung cancer.

            Edith, 87, heart attack.

            Lillian, 85.

            Sammy, 37, Cooley's anemia, hepatitis.

            Julie, 68, heart attack.

            Prayers, please, for the spiritual, physical and mental health the following, and all their families:

            Pat, just been diagnosed with full-blown leukemia. She had a heart attack a number of years ago and that will complicate the chemo, once she sees the Hematologist. Her husband has prostate cancer which has been in remission for a while and has had heart surgery himself. Prayers for both, please.