Holy Rule for June 28

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 28, 2004
      +PAX

      Prayers, please, for Susan, who died Friday, and for Michael, her husband and all her family, also for Christie, who missed passing her exam for teaching, but will try again! Prayers, too, for Justin, elevated blood levels in prostate cancer screening and high cholesterol, as well as Jerry, his brother, who has prostate cancer. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      February 27, June 28, October 28
      Chapter 21: On the Deans of the Monastery

      If the community is a large one,
      let there be chosen out of it
      brethren of good repute and holy life,
      and let them be appointed deans.
      These shall take charge of their deaneries in all things,
      observing the commandments of God
      and the instructions of their Abbot.

      Let men of such character be chosen deans
      that the Abbot may with confidence
      share his burdens among them.
      Let them be chosen not by rank
      but according to their worthiness of life
      and the wisdom of their doctrine.

      If any of these deans should become inflated with pride
      and found deserving of censure,
      let him be corrected once, and again, and a third time.
      If he will not amend,
      then let him be deposed
      and another be put in his place who is worthy of it.

      And we order the same to be done in the case of the Prior.

      REFLECTION

      Did anyone read this as I did at first, many years ago, and
      wonder: "Why did St. Benedict give them an academic name
      like "deans"? Well, it was probably the other way around! Since the
      first schools were monastic ones, it is quite likely that the
      term "dean" entered academia via the Holy Rule! Surely the academic
      gown of today is a modified form of our Benedictine choir robe, the
      cowl or cuculla. In fact, Benedictines used to wear their cucullas
      with the appropriate academic hoods as their formal dress at
      graduations and the like. With all due respect to the johnny-come-
      latelies like the Dominicans, Franciscans and Jesuits, when they don
      full academic regalia, they're wearing a derived form of our choir
      habit!

      But, enough of trivia...This chapter repeats another important
      consideration in St. Benedict's plan: people are not to be
      overburdened. This theme is less noticeable than the more important
      ones of moderation and the like, but it is there. Again and again,
      the Holy Rule says that people should have help with their charges,
      certain officials should even be exempted from serving in the
      refectory.

      Two things are going on here, both very important. Surely the first
      is kindness, gentle consideration for human frailty. The second,
      however, is every bit as defining and important: we are not our work,
      we are not our jobs, our vocation and worth is only connected to such
      things tangentially at best. Our motto is Work AND Prayer. The
      message is that neither of these should make the other impossible.

      This message is equally important for both choir monastics and
      Oblates. If your work is so much that your prayer suffers, something
      is wrong. However, especially true for those of us in the secular
      world, if your prayer is so much that your job or children or
      marriage suffers, something is REALLY wrong. If your work deprives
      your family or spouse, it might be time to look at changing it, time
      to rearrange goals and priorities a bit.

      One of the occasional problems of modern life everywhere is not just
      that we are too busy, but that we FOCUS too much attachment and will
      on stuff that really doesn't matter. Change that focus. Picture your
      job today if you had died yesterday. The important stuff would still
      get done by someone else. The rest, your own agenda, would go merrily
      down the tubes. Well, learn from that! A LOT of our own agendas are
      worth little more than that: going down the tubes. So why waste so
      much time and spiritual and emotional energy on them? As it does so
      frequently, the Holy Rule and Benedictine life tell us: "Get real!"

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 27, 2005
        +PAX

        Since I have an early trip to Boston to the dentist tomorrow AM, I am sending the Holy Rule out tonight. Hence, if your prayer intentions are sent after this, they will go on Wednesday's post. But we can all pray anyhow for whatever intentions are waiting: God knows what they are!

        Continued prayers for J. and the career decisions, which are unfolding, but not yet complete. Please keep Abbot Laurence in your prayers. His recovery is so painful. Prayers, please, for our novice, Br. Dominic, who seems to be happy and is doing quite well, that he (and all of us!) persevere according to God's will, also for vocations to St. Mary's Monastery and to all our monasteries. Prayers for Father Jamie, who has just received his first pastorate. A fine priest, may God support his ministry. Prayers for Bobby Joe, who died suddenly, for his happy death and eternal rest and for his family and friends who mourn him. Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! JL

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2006
          +PAX

          Prayers, please for Nikita and Kris and their newborn twins, Kina and Kyra, born prematurely at just over 3 lbs. and expected to remain in the hospital another 5-6 weeks. Prayers for A.J. taking a test for a new job today, 9 months' sobriety and needing to have a good job to help him in his struggles with addiction. Prayers for Ben, completing a tour of duty in the Air Force and returning home, for his safe travel, for his parents, Gerry and Eva, and prayers of thanksgiving and Deo gratias for his safety thus far! For the health of Teri and for the health of her parents, Earl, living with cancer and Fran, caring for him, both advanced in years. Susie, for whom we prayed, has gone peacefully to God, her daughter at her side, for her happy death and eternal rest and for all who mourn her. Susie donated her body to medical research, may God use her gift to help many others.

[...]

          on stuff that really doesn't matter. Examine and change that focus.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 27, 2007
            +PAX

            Preemie baby Gavin, for whom we have prayed in the past, is now 6 months and has an infection of unknown origin. Prayers for him and his young parents. He is their first child and this has been such a rollercoaster of emotions for them. Forgive me, (God is outside of time, though!) I got Dot's surgery date wrong. She had her mastectomy today. Continued prayers for her and her family and all our prayer folks. Prayers for a very trying a difficult family situation, when doing the right thing has been horribly fraught with tension. For the will of God for all concerned. Continued prayers for Al, that he find a job in time to remain in the U.S.

            I would appreciate input on the format I tried yesterday, grouping many folks under "for the health and families of" I found it very helpful to not be typing the same phrase over and over, but I don't want to offend anyone. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 27, 2016
              +PAX

              Prayers for the eternal rest of the Kimberleys, a father and three of his
              teenaged children lost at sea in the Gulf of Mexico. Only two bodies have
              been recovered, but the search has been called off. Prayers for the
              surviving family and all who mourn them.

              Prayers for the eternal rest of five killed and for the recovery of more
              than a dozen wounded in suicide bombing attacks in northeastern Lebanon.
              Prayers for the families of all and for the repentance of the suicide
              bombers.

              Prayers for a couple unable to have children who have become foster parents
              to two teenaged girls. Prayers for all of them, that things will go well and
              that they will have a very happy home together.

              Prayers for Vincent in Africa, for his vocation and ministry to disabled
              children.

              Prayers for baby Grace, having stomach surgery to close the opening for her
              feeding tube, and for her parents and grandparents.

              Prayers for a man having surgery this week and for his family.

              grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. BJL

[...]

              to such things tangentially at best. Our motto is Prayer AND Work. The
[...]

              Train yourself to learn what NOT to
              care about at all, what does not, and should not matter one bit.
              That is the detachment that is truly holy. It is not all that hard
              to learn, either, if one keeps at it and asks God for His grace,
              without which we can do
              nothing good.

              http://www.stmarysmonastery.org/

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 27

                +PAX

                Prayers of reparation for the desecration of consecrated Hosts and destruction of religious items in a Catholic chapel in the south Philippines, for all those caught in the terrorist attack and for the conversion of those responsible for the desecration. Prayers for all who fled their homes in the fighting.

                Prayers for the safe return of Bishop Peter Shao Zhumin, of the underground Catholic Church in China, he has been missing since May.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Fr. Benedict Austen, OSB, of St. Augustine’s Abbey, Ramsgate/Chilworth, UK, and for his family. Community and all who mourn him.

                Prayers for Fr. Martin Xavier, 33, who died in unknown circumstances after disappearing from his parish in Scotland, his body was found 30 miles away. Prayers for his family and all who mourn him.

                Prayers for baby Evelyn, one month old, who is in hospital being treated for sepsis.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Ray, and for his family and all who mourn him.

                Prayers for the eternal rest of Richard’s brother and mother, both of whom he lost recently. Prayers, too, for Richard and his father, these losses have been very hard for them.

                Prayers for Ann, Menier’s disease and heart trouble, prayers for her health to be restored.

                Healing prayers for Michelle, who had an aneurysm and stroke and is now paralyzed on her left side and unable to speak.