Holy Rule for June 26

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 26, 2004

      Prayers, please, for a teen Search retreat this weekend, for teens and staff and grace for all, for Dottie, having surgery on Tuesday, and Lou, her husband of 50 years, for Susan, for whom we have prayed, close to death with cancer, and for her family. prayers, too, for a mother/daughter relationship to strengthen, for a troubled marriage, and for Sharee and Bill's problems to resolve. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      February 25, June 26, October 26
      Chapter 19: On the Manner of Saying the Divine Office

      We believe that the divine presence is everywhere
      and that "the eyes of the Lord
      are looking on the good and the evil in every place" (Prov. 15:3).
      But we should believe this especially without any doubt
      when we are assisting at the Work of God.
      To that end let us be mindful always of the Prophet's words,
      "Serve the Lord in fear" (Ps. 2:11)
      and again "Sing praises wisely" (Ps. 46:8)
      and "In the sight of the Angels I will sing praise to You" (Ps.
      137:1).
      Let us therefore consider how we ought to conduct ourselves
      in sight of the Godhead and of His Angels,
      and let us take part in the psalmody in such a way
      that our mind may be in harmony with our voice.

      REFLECTION

      Students act differently (usually worse, alas...) for a substitute
      teacher. Employees are different when the boss is off for the day.
      These assortments of different behavior are pretty much shot through
      the human condition, though not necessarily always a good idea.

      Sometimes, we conduct ourselves in an artificially nice (or wicked!)
      manner because we do NOT know with whom we are dealing. Our
      politeness or our shyness or boldness can be terribly false facades.
      Whether our projections are attempts to be cool and with it or
      decidedly cultured and subtle, they can be masks, and are at times!

      The message here is no masks. Know Him in Whose presence and House
      you are. But really KNOW Him. That can take a lifetime of trying on
      and shedding as false different modes of conduct.

      God, like so many things, is very Benedictine in His perfection,
      which stands between the extremes in which we are prone to think of
      Him. If you think God is pretty much like the strictest teacher you
      ever had, who ran a real death camp of a classroom, guess again.
      You're dead wrong. On the other hand, neither is God Lenny Bruce,
      though I surely hope He has chuckled at some of my earthier moments
      more than once!

      God is Parent and Creator and we are always creatures, but we are not
      always children. We have to grow to the adult relationship with God
      that fortunate children eventually share with their parents. (If we
      never got to do this, and many haven't, establishing such honesty
      with God is going to be a bit of a chore... Keep trying!)

      As we grow in our knowledge of God, our behavior around Him (and we
      are ALWAYS "around Him", that's another clear message of the Holy
      Rule!)changes. It becomes more real and more natural. It changes with
      a very clear eye to Whom God is and who we are. It changes from
      knowledge born of love and security.

      A final little word here about the angels. We are in the sight
      of "the Godhead and His angels." Even Protestant churches which would
      not approve of prayer to saints can find ample Scriptural bases for
      praying to angels! Again and again we see people conversing with
      God's messengers in the Bible. Hence, don't waste 'em! None of us is
      so rich as to afford to ignore friends! Let the angels help. Ask them
      to help you on your road. The briefest glance at their Scriptural
      track record will show one that that is something they are very good
      at! Ditto protection. I ask the angels to guard (and lately, WARM,)
      my quail and chicken houses every single night!

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 26, 2005

        Prayers, please, for the happy death and eternal rest of Allison, 23, victim of a hit and run, and for her parents, Ed & Wendie and her brother, Chris; also for Matthew, 20, the young man who allegedly struck her while driving under the influence of alcohol.

        Let us always remember to pray for the perpetrators of horrific acts. So many pray for the victims, who, in their innocence, make very appealing beneficiaries, but the ones who did the harm often need prayer much, much more, and there are fewer willing to pray for them. God's love and forgiveness extends to all, and, every time we say the Lord's Prayer, we affirm that ours must, too.
        Lord, help them as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

        On the other hand, neither is God some smiling, spinelessly
        "tolerant" chap Who will put up with any and all behavior with a shrug,
        though I surely hope He has chuckled at some of my earthier moments
        more than once! God has standards and He has shared them with us.
        Both extreme views of God are wrong, not surprisingly!

        God is Parent and Creator and we are always creatures, but we are not
        always children. We have to grow to the adult relationship with God
        that fortunate children eventually share with their parents. (If we
        never got to do this, and many haven't, establishing such honesty
        with God is possibly going to be a bit of a chore... Keep trying!)

        As we grow in our knowledge of God, our behavior around Him (and we
        are ALWAYS "around Him", that's another clear message of the Holy
        Rule!) changes. It becomes more real and more natural. It changes with
        a very clear eye to Whom God is and who we are. It changes from
        knowledge born of love and security.

        A final little word here about the angels. We are in the sight
        of "the Godhead and His angels." Protestant churches which would
        not approve of prayer to saints can find ample Scriptural bases for
        praying to angels! Again and again we see people conversing with
        God's messengers in the Bible. Hence, don't waste 'em! None of us is
        so rich as to afford to ignore friends!

        Let the angels help. Ask them to help you on your road. The briefest
        glance at their Scriptural track record will show one that that is something
        they are very good at! Ditto protection. I ask the angels to guard the houses
        of all on my prayer list every single night- as well as protect my chickens from
        predators!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 26, 2006

          Prayers, please, for Jerri, just diagnosed with cancer, which has already spread to several major organs, she is now in ICU with a staph infection, and for Elaine, glaucoma surgery to correct pressure too high now has resulted in pressure too low and she cannot see to read, prayers for the health care folks caring for them both and for all our prayer folks. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Heinz, who went to God yesterday, for his niece, Frances, and all his family and those who mourn him. Prayers for Ann, recovering from surgery and for Anastasia, still a runaway from her group home, and her parents and those trying to help find her. Prayers for Fr. Henry, an Air Force chaplain retired, who has gone to God, for his happy death and eternal rest and for all those who mourn him.

          HUGE Deo gratias for Harry, who has landed the job he sought with Aid to the Church in Need. This seems to be right where God wanted him, so prayers of thanks and for his ministry there! Harry thanks all who prayed. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          Both extreme views of God are wrong, not surprisingly! The middle
          perfection of God is His love and His mercy, His Heart which knows the
          demands of justice better than anyone, but always, always tends to
          mercy. Mercy is God's greatest attribute, the perfect function of His
          infinite Love!

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 25, 2007

            Deo gratias and prayers of thanksgiving for Taffy's successful breast surgery last week, with prayers for a speedy recovery. Thanksgiving, too, for Brianna's recent successful gallbladder surgery with prayers for speedy recovery. Prayers for Shirley who will be having colon cancer surgery this week and for family members who offer her support. Prayers for Bobby, serving in Iraq, for Melissa, his wife and Helen, his grandmother, prayers, too, for Josh, also in Iraq, his wife, Tillie, and his parents, Darlene and Dean.

            Prayers for Ross, skin cancer lesions removed yesterday, also for Anne, newly diagnosed with breast cancer. Prayers for John, having his bladder removed next week, and for his wife, Sylvia, distraught because she has already been widowed once before. Prayers for the happy death and eternal rest of Alan, her first husband. Prayers for a dear friend of Michael's having a medical procedure this week, for a successful and uneventful treatment. Prayers for all those suffering from wildfires in the western United States.

            Prayers for a young mother and her baby, the baby may be taken because of the mother's drug abuse. Prayers that the child may be placed with his grandparents, rather than strangers, and that the father may keep his cool when all this comes to pass. Prayers for three newly ordained priests in Baltimore and their families and friends. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL