Holy Rule for June 24

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 24 5:42 AM

      A blessed Solemnity of the Birth of St. John the Baptist to all! His importance in the grand scheme of things is underscored by the fact that we only celebrate the Nativity of two people other than Jesus: Mary and John the Baptist.

      Prayers, please, for Sr. Marian Hahn, a Cenacle religious with rapidly advancing cancer, also for Mike & Christie and Bonnie & John, celebrating their third wedding anniversaries, for Alan's return to the faith, and for a safe and holy pilgrimage for Jodie and those with her. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much. JL

      Vespers are to be sung with four Psalms every day.
      These shall begin with Psalm 109 and go on to Psalm 147,
      omitting those which are set apart for other Hours;
      that is to say that
      with the exception of Psalms 117 to 127 and Psalms 133 and 142,
      all the rest of these are to be said at Vespers.
      And since there are three Psalms too few,
      let the longer ones of the above number be divided,
      namely Psalms 138, 143 and 144.
      But let Psalm 116 because of its brevity be joined to Psalm 115.

      The order of the Vesper Psalms being thus settled,
      let the rest of the Hour --
      lesson, responsory, hymn, verse and canticle --
      be carried out as we prescribed above.

      At Compline the same Psalms are to be repeated every day,
      namely Psalms 4, 90 and 133.

      REFLECTION

      Maybe it's just me, but I find Vespers and Compline very different
      and refreshing. They are evening hours, not followed by work, except
      for the light clean up after supper, which is not a main meal here
      anyway. Vespers makes me think of finally getting home and shutting
      the door after a long day and a tough commute. It is a flavor no
      other hour has for me. It ends the workday, leaving the evening for
      family. Not shabby! A rite of passage from the job to the home hearth!

      A brief glance at the Psalms for Vespers will show that they are yet
      another example of consecutive, running psalmody. One right after
      another, except for a few which get bumped elsewhere or are
      thoughtfully divided because of their length. Apparently by numerical
      happenstance, Psalm 140 winds us in the Vespers grouping, and it is
      most appropriate: "Let my prayer ascend to You like incense and the
      lifting up of my hands like an evening sacrifice." Historically,
      Psalm 140 has appeared in the Vespers or services of light
      (Lucenaria) of many, many rites.

      For active monasteries, or for busy Oblates in the world, evening and
      early morning are often the only times we get of relative cloister
      and focus. The morning hours are largely available to anyone willing
      or able to get up while the rest of the world (including offspring!)
      sleeps, the evening hours perhaps less so. Those evenings are family
      times par excellence and our first vocations must always be respected.

      If, as a working parent or spouse, getting home means just getting
      started with dinner, don't despair! There is (or can be, if you
      provide for it,) a lot of undistracted solitude in cooking, even if
      it is rather harried cooking. (Guests often ask what they can do to
      help me in the kitchen. My usual response, I hope said kindly enough,
      is "Yes, don't talk to me while I am cooking. I get too focused!" If
      you can GENTLY establish a similar program of don't-talk-to-me-while-
      I-am-cooking, go for it. The solitude of a kitchen at work feeding
      loved ones is a rich one, indeed.

      If you are into tapes, get one of somebody else singing Vespers and
      play it. Heaven knows, if you can put up with the kids' music, they
      can put up with yours for half an hour a day. Even if you do not
      listen to every word, the soothing chant will settle into your bones,
      become a backdrop of peace on which you can position the rest of your
      evening. Give it a shot for two weeks and I'll bet you find your
      evening meals and later times very different, because YOU are
      different!

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 24 9:13 AM

        Prayers of thanks and Deo gratias for: Susan, the surgical tech for whom we prayed, she is now home and walking with a cane, but it may be a long time until she can stand for long periods, as her work requires. She may need vocational rehab, so continued prayers. Also for Mother Seraphima, she is being transferred to a facility in another State where she can get the help she needs. May God's will be evident to her there! Sr. Mary Stella, for whom we prayed, is doing much better and getting around with a walker.

        Prayers for Betty, mediastinal cancer, having a very tough time with chemo, infections, etc. and has a long way to go. Prayers for Julie and Pat, who must euthanize their beloved cat next week due to a tumor growing rapidly. Prayers for Gayle and his brother Gayleard. Gayle has cardiac history and now prostate cancer, and Gayleard has been having strokes, also for their sister, Verlene, who is so worried for them. Prayers for Adrian, whose right hip replacement needs to be re-done, but he cannot get a date before November 3, a bad time for him. Prayers, too, for Fr. Brendan and all who got a bad lot of ineffective pain med patches, that all will be made right and covered by insurance. Prayers for Clancy, in her last days at hospice, for her happy and holy death, and for her family and her friend, Peg, who asked for her.

        Continued prayers for the happy death of Joan, 97, she passed away yesterday afternoon, and for Abbot Laurence, having a terrible lot of trying pain from his injuries. Lord, help the as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 24 5:47 AM

          Prayers, please, for Al, his job is threatened and this could impact his legal immigration status and many other things, a very tense time for him just now. Prayers for Maria, on chemo for cancer, and for Arthur, whose cancer prognosis is not at all good, for their families and the healthcare folks caring for them and all our prayer intention people. Alix asks prayers of Deo gratias and great thanksgiving: her daughter received a 100% scholarship for her college tuition and a grant to pay for her books. As Alix is retired on a limited income, this is a wonderful miracle for their family! Continued prayers for Ann, cancer surgery on Monday morning. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          it is rather harried cooking. The solitude of a kitchen at work feeding
          loved ones is a rich one, indeed.

          If you are into tapes, get one of somebody else singing Vespers and
          play it. Heaven knows, if you can put up with the kids' music, they
          can put up with yours for half an hour a day. Even if you do not
          listen to every word, the soothing chant will settle into your bones,
          become a backdrop of peace on which you can position the rest of your
          evening. Give it a shot for two weeks and I'll bet you find your
          evening meals and later times very different, because YOU are
          different!

          Solesmes Abbey in France has produced a cd of Sunday Vespers and Compline in Gregorian chant. In Latin, but lovely. Available at a good price, just over $10 US at:

          http://www.bestprices.com/cgi-bin/vlink/musiclabels/cds-by-recordlabel-Solesmes-USA.html

          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 23 7:24 PM

            Prayers, please, for Fr. Fred, urgent open heart surgery necessary, for his doctors and all those who care for all our prayer folks in any capacity, physical, spiritual or mental. May God guide and reward them all! Prayers for Josephine, pancreatic cancer has moved to the spine and is causing vertebral fractures, for her husband, Armand, and all their family.

            Prayers for Marlene, for whom we have prayed in the past, her bone cancer has recurred and her prognosis is uncertain, but not promising, also for John, her husband, and for all their family. Continued prayers for Al, whose immigration problems we have prayed for, he is trying to get a job and only has 8 days left. If the Congressman's appeal doesn't work, he will have to leave the country by early July.

            Prayers for Jonathan, 9 months, hospitalized after respiratory arrest, possible febrile seizure and for the return of his family to their Catholic faith. Prayers for a man very near to death, most likely this weekend, for his happy death and eternal rest, for all his family, and especially for his daughter for whom this will be a terrible loss. Prayers for Jon, 39, seeking help for substance addiction after years of denial, for his wife and four children, his parents, sister and all his family who want so badly to help. May his beginnings be firm and constant. Prayers for all addicts of every sort, what awful suffering they endure.

            Prayers for C. and a difficult neighbor situation that is worsening. Prayers of thanks for T., his work and retirement issues are clearing! Prayers for Andy, needing a new job badly, and for his son, Christian, diagnosed as autistic, and for all their family. Prayers for Jack, terminally ill, unable to speak or take food, bedridden. He badly needs to receive the Sacraments and there are some complications to be over come, prayers for his wife and all his family, especially his sister and the nurses' aides helping him. Jane, for whom we prayed, seems close to getting a job, Deo gratias!! Now she asks prayers to help her rebuild her damaged faith which she struggles to regain. Lord, help us all as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him! Thanks so much. JL