Holy Rule for June 23

    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 23, 2004

      Prayers, please, for the success of our Oblate Day this Saturday and for all who are preparing for it. Prayers, too, for the ongoing post-operative healing of John, Linda and Muriel. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent. Thanks so much! JL

      At Terce, Sext and None on Monday
      let the nine remaining sections of Psalm 118 be said,
      three at each of these Hours.

      Psalm 118 having been completed, therefore,
      on two days, Sunday and Monday,
      let the nine Psalms from Psalm 119 to Psalm 127
      be said at Terce, Sext and None,
      three at each Hour,
      beginning with Tuesday.
      And let these same Psalms be repeated every day until Sunday
      at the same Hours,
      while the arrangement of hymns, lessons and verses
      is kept the same on all days;
      and thus Prime on Sunday will always begin with Psalm 118.

      REFLECTION

      Running psalmody, that is, reciting the Psalms in numerical order, no
      matter what came next, was a very common ancient monastic practice.
      Since one of the principles behind the Psalter was to "get it all in"
      in the space of a week, that running psalmody was a natural
      consequence. St. Benedict obviously had some of that on his mind: he
      goes from detailed directions about the spacing of the longest Psalm,
      118, right into assigning the next 9 to the minor hours which are
      repeated throughout the week from Tuesday to Saturday.

      As a result, one could safely say that there is nothing specific to
      the time of day as such about these Psalms, but that it not entirely
      correct. These nine Psalms from 119-127 are gradual Psalms,
      pilgrimage songs. They were sung by the Jews as they were going up to
      Jerusalem. They are filled with the tension of anticipation and
      possession of God's Temple and His blessings, they are songs
      of "already" and "not yet".

      The gradual Psalms are short, compact units, easily memorized. Since
      memory is one thing the Holy Rule no doubt was providing for- these
      Offices frequently had to be said on the spot, in the fields, it is
      very likely that this group were quite deliberately chosen. No one in
      their right mind would suggest some of the longer Psalms from Matins
      for easy memorization!!

      Regardless of what St. Benedict may or may not have had in mind, the
      Holy Spirit can use all of us, even St. Benedict, in ways we do not
      realize. Read through these Psalms and picture yourself saying them
      in a distant field, with the Abbey in view, but far away. Get the
      idea? The pilgrim songs that speak of already AND not yet were the
      perfect thing for monastics to say in such circumstances. Jerusalem,
      the House of God, was both a distant view and a complete possession,
      since ALL of the monastery is the House of God.

      History and economics has changed this somewhat, but until the 20th
      century, most Benedictine abbeys were built on prominent rises in
      the midst of hundreds of acres of cleared farm land. They were, after
      all, farmers, and as the old saying goes: "Benedict loved the hills..."
      In times past, the image of a towering abbey church dominating a wide
      expanse of well-tended farmland was a usual thing.

      A complete aside here, but the first time I ever went to St. Vincent Archabbey,
      the protoabbey of our Order in the US, I was a Florida boy with little or
      no sense of Pennsylvania geography. I was VERY eager to get there, to
      see the place, as I had just finished reading the biography of Archabbot
      Boniface Wimmer, its founder. I knew we were getting closer, but was not
      prepared for what happened next.

      All of a sudden, after a turn in an very ordinary road, a vista such as I have
      described sprang into view. It was a veritable Theophany to me! There, on a
      hill, stood the Archabbey Basilica, twin towers reigning over gently rolling farmlands.
      I shall never forget the wonder of that moment, now nearly 30 years ago.
      Truly, my heart "rejoiced when I heard them say, 'Let us go to God's house.' "

      It is easy, terribly easy, to forget that we live "in the House of
      God." We do, all monastics do, Oblates do, everyone does. It IS God's
      world. Being reminded of this by those Psalms of journeying is a
      great idea. Our feet really are "standing within your gates, O
      Jerusalem!" We look from afar and see that Jerusalem is a city
      compact, a unity of peace and order. Who has seen a monastery on a
      hill and not had similar thoughts? Even the accidental end of the
      sequence (which continues in Vespers,) has a wonderful
      application. "Blessed are those who fear the Lord, who walk in His
      ways!" It recounts the joys and protections of a life lived for God
      and ends with the plea: "On Israel, peace!" Just picture yourself
      saying that at the end of a hard day's work in the field, looking at
      the Abbey Church. Not shabby!

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 23, 2006

          Prayers for the Apostles of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, on their patronal feast, especially Sr. Lany Jo, for vocations to their Congregation and for all religious congregations dedicated to the Sacred Heart. If my suggestions to begin making the Morning Offering have not yet taken root, today would be an awesome day to start. I'll send the text as a separate post.

          Prayers, please, for Carolan, hospitalized for chest pain. Urgent prayers for one whose multiple problems are increasing to a level that horrifies even me (and, let us face it, I hear quite a lot of prayer requests.) Terribly serious crosses on so many fronts, but a firm faith in prayer. May our prayers support this brave soul and may grace and strength and courage abound. Prayers, too, for Anastasia, the mentally ill teen for whom we have prayed. She ran away from her group home and has not been heard from for 7 days. Prayers for her and for her distraught parents, especially her Mom.

          Finally, a HUGE Deo gratias: John, whose wallet went missing, found it in a shopping bag where his 3 year old had but it while playing! Thanks to St. Anthony and to all who prayed. Lord, help us as You know and will. God's will is best. All is mercy and grace. God is never absent, praise Him. Thanks so much. JL

[...]

          farmlands. I shall never forget the wonder of that moment, 30 years
          ago this summer. Truly, my heart "rejoiced when I heard them say, 'Let us