Prayers for me and Maggie, Please

  • russophile2002 <jeromeleo@earthlink.net>
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 2002

      I have brought my cat, Dame Maggie, home to die. I ask your good
      prayers that God's will may happen swiftly and with as little pain as
      possible for her.

      I would, as a monk, apologize for how much I love this cat, how dear
      she is to me, had I not the strongest assurances that God gave her to
      me and that keeping her after I took vows was His will. First
      Cardinal Law, then my superior here, Father Anselm and later Abbot
      Hugh gave me permission to keep her. Few have ever had such certainty
      that one beautiful cat and one stray monk were God's gift to each
      other.

      I got her 6 months before I was diagnosed with HIV. She has been wih
      me through everything. For a LONG time, I thought I would go first,
      so I let my heart go without reserve. For some time, however, it has
      been distressingly apparent that she was growing older and olde and I
      am not even sick yet. I have been sure for quite a while that I WOULD
      have to lose her, but hard as that is, I am so glad that she will
      never have to lose me, never have to worry where I've gone if I am
      hospitalized, etc. This is easier for her and for that I am deeply
      grateful to our merciful God.

      I know that I never want my heart to break like this again, not out
      of cowardice, but because another attachment this great would just be
      wrong for a monk. This is one of the things celibacy is supposed to
      free one's heart from. An exception was made for my dear Maggie, and
      there will never be another exception.

      God's mercy is so great and I love learning to say: "Jesus, I trust
      in You!" even when my heart is breaking and a wordless and innocent
      kitty is in pain. I trust Him. His mercy is so infinite, His greatest
      attribute. Please pray for that Divine Mercy, which is His Will, for
      Maggie, and me and all of us.